Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 09:33 PM

163 posts, read 431,129 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone--

My boyfriend is relocating to Memphis from the Northeast in the next few weeks. For Christmas, I'd like to put together things he'll find useful as he settles in to the city.

Thought I'd ask you all what you'd suggest putting into the gift box. I've already thought of stuff like maps, a few books, a subscription to Memphis Magazine, etc. But if there are practical info or items that would make his life better, please let me know. (As an example, I once got a former boyfriend who was relocating to this area tokens for the NYC subway, in the days before the MetroCard.) Also welcome are fun suggestions, such as if I could get him tickets for upcoming events or places he should see to get to know his new town.

I will be in Memphis for about a week myself, so am able to pick items up in the area if they can't be ordered online.

Thanks in advance for your help. We're both very excited about the move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 08:07 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,371,912 times
Maybe some generic Memphis gifts, like BBQ Sauce or an Elvis keychain? Given the vast temp diff between the northeast and the south, maybe some shorts and flip flops? (although, it's in the 50's here now...)

Tickets to a UM Tigers game, or a Memphis Grizzlies game would be nice. Maybe a gift certificate to a local BBQ joint (BBQ Shop on Madison always has t-shirts, sauce, etc for sale at the front door).

Do you know what part of town he'll be living in?

Old 11-28-2007, 10:21 AM

27 posts, read 90,436 times
He needs to go on a rock & roll tour!
Its like a crash course on Memphis

Everyone that I know who has been on it loves it. You might want to go on it with him.
That site also sells a book called Kreature Comforts Low life guide to Memphis that he might like.
There's also the one that Alton Brown went on called American Dream Safari

The Memphis Magazine subscription is also a good idea.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:41 PM

Thanks for your suggestions--much appreciated, and great ideas.

He'll be living temporarily in corporate housing in Germantown. After that...who knows? We'll need to look for something more permanent in a few months, when the plan is for me to join him there. My preference would be more "in the city" than his would be, so it should be interesting, to say the least.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:54 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,875,941 times
An application for a carry permit and ammunition for his handgun of choice, hollowpoints prefered.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:30 PM

Quote:
An application for a carry permit and ammunition for his handgun of choice, hollowpoints prefered.
Heh. We're from NYC metro, and he went to school in the Bronx (and we're in our late 30s/early 40s, so, before NYC was as safe as it is now). Not so afraid of crime; half of avoiding crime is knowing how not to act like an idiot and avoid dip**** situations. We know the stats on Memphis and are of the firm belief that crime happens everywhere--you just need to be conscious of what's going on. In the 70s, my father worked in Manhattan and had bullets flying down his street more than once--and he was working in a good place. Never stopped our family from being in the city and taking full advantage of its benefits.

I'm going to miss the ocean. But other than that, we're looking forward to an adventure.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:23 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,371,912 times
I love this person We need more people like you moving to Memphis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsirk View Post
Heh. We're from NYC metro, and he went to school in the Bronx (and we're in our late 30s/early 40s, so, before NYC was as safe as it is now). Not so afraid of crime; half of avoiding crime is knowing how not to act like an idiot and avoid dip**** situations. We know the stats on Memphis and are of the firm belief that crime happens everywhere--you just need to be conscious of what's going on. In the 70s, my father worked in Manhattan and had bullets flying down his street more than once--and he was working in a good place. Never stopped our family from being in the city and taking full advantage of its benefits.

I'm going to miss the ocean. But other than that, we're looking forward to an adventure.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:46 PM

11 posts, read 37,665 times
A bible and thick skin

Old 02-09-2008, 07:20 PM

190 posts, read 649,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Just what we need here, someone calling for more guns on the street. Whether this was in fun or in truth, I wonder what benefit this post could have on anyone moving into Memphis.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:31 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,477,811 times
A handbook of southern terminology
A southern cookbook
An Idiots Guide to Catfishing
And a GATOR HATER tshirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: