Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,598 times

Advertisements

I'm fairly new to Memphis. Bought a house in Cordova December 2011, and love it here (so far).
Bad news is that i lost my job several months afterwards and have been searching for another one since...no luck
My husband has been supporting me and my 3 kids since then and it's been a struggle.
We are now separated on good terms, but i need to find a job ASAP because i just received a foreclosure notice today. I'm also looking for the best place to sell my wedding ring (not Craigslist), so i can save my home.
As far as the job hunt goes, Ive submitted my resume over 200 times and have it posted on several job sites. I get nothing but junk replies or jobs that dont pay enough. I'm currently taking a real estate class online in hopes I can get my license soon. I need a day job with a minimum pay of $12/hour. I would be interested in some type of clerical work preferrably.
I have various work experience and have always been a reliable employee, but no college degree, which hurts my chances. I probably need to polish my resumé.
I thought it would be easier to find a job in this town, but there is so much competition.
Does anyone have any advice about employment opportunities or jewelers?
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 10:17 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,393,327 times
I doubt very much a ring is going to be worth enough at resale to save a house. Let the house go, and find a cheaper place to live. $12/ hour is more than you are likely to earn unless you have a specific skill.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:40 AM

2 posts, read 2,598 times
eastmemphisguy,

Im only $150 short of making a payment to save my house because my hubby is chipping in, which is what im hoping i can get for my ring (and other misc jewelry).
I cannot let my house go because it was a steal. I put $20k down on it and my payments are only $650/mo, which is cheaper than rent here.
And i do have several skills. Ranging from sales, customer service, merchandising, forklift operator, and several more. Im pretty diverse. Lol.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:23 PM

7,529 posts, read 17,196,026 times
Look at the online sites. Craigslist, Indeed.com, Snagajob.com.

Also, if you've experienced a financial hardship (such as losing a job, divorce) and have received a foreclosure notice, it may be in your interest to try to save your home through other means as well as maintaining current payments. I would try to contact a CDC such as United Housing, Binghampton Development Corporation or Frayser Community Development Corporation. Many of these nonprofits have foreclosure prevention, mortgage modification, etc. programs that could help you.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:44 AM

428 posts, read 847,552 times
jabogitlu is right I would contact the Frayser CDC. They are good people and even though you do not live in Frayser they may be able to point you in the right direction toward options of saving your house or finding a similar steal elsewhere. Also while looking for a job in Memphis try this site: Job & Career News from the Memphis Public Library

Old 01-19-2014, 07:30 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,950,831 times
If there is a tiny chance you could salvage your relationship and not get divorced, whether it means admitting you were wrong or going to counseling or whatever, I think that would be your best bet. You'll be a lot better off financially if you have a partner working towards the same goals. There are a lot of movies, books, and/or counselors that can help you salvage a relationship. Plus, you guys have a few kids. Just a thought for if you still have some feelings for this person.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:47 PM

255 posts, read 709,863 times
If you post on the employment forum, you may get some good feedback from hiring managers about your resume if you are willing to post it. Indeed.com has always been a good resource for me. I would also focus on networking. Talk to anyone you know personally if they have any leads.

As far as jewelry stores, Diamond Brokers on Poplar is very honest and may be able to sell your ring for a fair price. They might also have some good ideas about how to sell your jewelry.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:14 PM

324 posts, read 415,984 times
Try Family dollar. They have opened up a ton of stores in the Memphis area and are struggling to find and maintain good people for management.

Also, try all the retail places in the Wolfchase area.

I service many retail stores in the Memphis area. Family Dollar, Fast Food, and Child care facilities are always looking for people, especially for managment.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis