U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2007, 10:30 PM

32 posts, read 208,971 times

Advertisements

So what do you think? I know they're near RR tracks, and that honestly doesn't bother. I live on RR tracks now, and it's just white noise. I haven't been on the inside, but I've been around it. Is the area livable. I'm really open to all suggestions. I'm being relocated to Memphis and this is really close to my job. Are there any resturants/bars around this area...perhaps walkable? If you don't know much about them, can you comment on the area. I'm from 'unsafe' cities, so I know how to handle myself. And by 'unsafe' I mean they're usually dubbed that, but it's really where you are. Well ok. There it is. Audubon Downs...what do you think?
Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 07:32 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,039,538 times
Is Audubon Downs the small apartment complex next to the condos on the edge of the Beltline neighborhood (Central @ Hollywood area)?

Old 12-03-2007, 07:38 AM

3,371 posts, read 12,781,786 times
I thought those were converted to condos? (amazingly....since I could not imagine anyone buying a condo that was basically underneath a train track like that...)

Old 12-03-2007, 08:16 AM

100 posts, read 465,237 times
These apts are located on Central, right at the railroad tracks, if you're heading East on Central, they are just past the Fairgrounds, on the right.
Haven't had any experience with these apts for years, but they were not very good even many years ago.
This is near Central and Hollywood (or is it Bear Bryant, or Alicia) Hollywood changes names several times.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:24 AM

I swear those were changed to condos that you purchase. I remember seeing the signs out front. Maybe they nixed those plans because no one was buying?

Old 12-03-2007, 11:03 AM

13,082 posts, read 37,292,148 times
They could still be condos. Individual condo owners routinely rent out their condos to renters.

But back to the original post, I lived near Audubon Downs when I lived in Memphis. There's not much within walking distance, as I recall. And it's in a sort-of questionable area: go a couple of blocks in one direction and it's nice. Go a couple of blocks in another direction and it's a crack neighborhood. I'd look elsewhere. There's not much traffic in the city of Memphis, so you could live in other parts of the city (like Midtown or downtown) and still be a short drive from your work.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:30 AM

Good point, JMT. I can't imagine how these apts are closer to the OP's job than say, Cooper Young would be. CY is just a few blocks over and has tons of nice, small homes for rent. There is nothing near Audubon other than the football stadium and a Dollar Store. Oh...and CBU...I guess that might be where your job is. But seriously, CY is the same distance to CBU as these places would be, and CY has a ton of bars and restaurants. It's not the best area right by Audubon/CBU..it's not gang warfare, but it's not the best. Not a place I would be walking, other than maybe on a football gameday when there are thousands of people around.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:53 AM

13,082 posts, read 37,292,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Good point, JMT. I can't imagine how these apts are closer to the OP's job than say, Cooper Young would be. CY is just a few blocks over and has tons of nice, small homes for rent. There is nothing near Audubon other than the football stadium and a Dollar Store. Oh...and CBU...I guess that might be where your job is. But seriously, CY is the same distance to CBU as these places would be, and CY has a ton of bars and restaurants. It's not the best area right by Audubon/CBU..it's not gang warfare, but it's not the best. Not a place I would be walking, other than maybe on a football gameday when there are thousands of people around.
I would looooooove to live in Cooper Young. And you're right, if the job is at CBU, living in CY would be just as convenient to work, and it would also offer dozens of great eating and drinking establishments within walking distance. What I wouldn't give for some of Cafe Ole's bbq shrimp right now...

Old 12-03-2007, 12:33 PM

CY is really the only other area of Memphis, other than downtown, where you can walk to a grouping of multiple bars/restaurants safely. There are tons of older homes that have been broken into duplexes/triplexes/etc for rent in the area. Just stay north of the CY intersection, generally speaking. South gets really bad, really fast.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:54 PM

32 posts, read 208,971 times
Thank you guys for all of your information. I've now shifted my look to renting a house, and I'm sure with each one i look at there will be questions. This forum is a fabulous tool Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis