U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 06:13 PM

32 posts, read 208,973 times

Advertisements

Thank you guys so much for your help. I've decided against Audubon Downs. I've since moved my search inside a perimter of west of E. pkw, south of Poplar, East of Cleveland and north of Lamar. I've found a few cute apartment/houses for rent, in my price range, but I wanted to ask the experts before I got excited. So if you have a minute could you please give me any feedback on the following area's of town.

129 Stonewall
and
148 Stonewall
while it's not exactly on Poplar, it's kinda close.

1812 Madison
and [SIZE=1]25 S McLean[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]These are just a few I've seen. I'd much rather live in a house/apartment because I really enjoy the unique quaities and I'd like to take advantage of them.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Thanks so much for your help. Be honest, I'm a 26/f single, and safety is number one.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Lonster[/SIZE]
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 06:39 PM

3,371 posts, read 12,782,330 times
For the ones on Stonewall....I think these are probably okay. It's weird to explain....there is an area between Poplar and Union, right around that area, that is like the "land that time forgot." All around is great, huge, gorgeous homes and neighborhoods....but right there are boarded up apartments, really shady houses that are run down, etc. Poplar and Cleveland is not a good area and this is nearby. However, Stonewall has some of the biggest, oldest homes north of Poplar in the Evergreen Historic District.

I think the ones on Madison would be good. It's a house? I know there is a couple complexes, one condo, one apt, across from the BBQ Shop there. Those would be fine, I think. Be advised...Madison is a pretty major street. Lots of traffic. NOt horrible, but it's still a fast moving road. I wouldn't want a house with a driveway that backed onto the street. Madison right there is in that iffy area....some blocks are good, some are...weird. But it's not a BAD area...just more commercial.

I think it would be worth a drive-by at least, if you come to look. If I think of it, I can try to drive by these specific places tomorrow...Stonewall south of Poplar, Madison west of McLean (lots nearby there, FYI...BBQ Shop, Neil's bar, Blue Monkey, Molly's, Overton Square nearby, the trolley nearby....)

Old 12-04-2007, 06:42 PM

P.S...if you are looking at ads, anything if you see anything in Central Gardens, Idlewild, or Evergreen historic districts...that is a good thing. Those are regulated neighborhoods with strong residential associations and are probably 99% great homes because the neighborhood association wouldn't allow people to let their homes run-down.

Cooper Young area is also good, near a ton of bars and restaurants. Very cute area...look at the intersection of Cooper and Young, but stay north of Young or maybe a block south at most.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post

I think it would be worth a drive-by at least, if you come to look. If I think of it, I can try to drive by these specific places tomorrow...Stonewall south of Poplar, Madison west of McLean (lots nearby there, FYI...BBQ Shop, Neil's bar, Blue Monkey, Molly's, Overton Square nearby, the trolley nearby....)

That would be fantastic if you think of it. I'm going to stay with a friend who lives in MS for a few days when I'm looking, but I'm going to be kinda homeless. I want to have a general idea, possibly some money down on a place (not too much that I would miss it if they wouldn't give it back, just enough to keep it on the market so I can see it) but I'm only going to do that if it meets my location/safety/cashmoney requirements.
Thanks, Lonster

Old 12-04-2007, 07:13 PM

A lot of times people will put "For Rent" signs in the yard without listing it elsewhere. It would be worth just driving around and looking for that. When you're here, I'd go to the intersection of Cooper Young and circle outward around there. Also maybe Madison and Cooper. And Cooper and Union, all around that area. Also, maybe around McLean and North Parkway, McLean and Poplar. Between Belvedere/Evergreen and McLean, right north of Poplar are a lot of old big homes that have been converted into apts.

Basically the area you mentioned before, that area of Midtown...just drive and drive around there. Hopefully your friend in MS has some knowledge of the area.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:01 PM

I just now saw the one for 25 S McLean too! Sorry! Is that the Gilmore Apts complex? Or a smaller one? Either way, the area is fine. Again, right at Madison and McLean. The Gilmore is great, window A/C though. IT's an old building, but has that kitchy feel to it. I have know many people that have lived there. Across the street are some other small apt buildings...they aren't nearly as nice, and I'm not sure what they look like on the inside. They might be run-down, but at least the area is safe. You'd be a block from Starbucks, Walgreens, Rite-Aid, a couple blocks from a major grocery store, and again all the other places I mentioned earlier.

I think that area is great (I am biased though!) and although it's not upscale wealthy people, it's also not trashy either. Sort of like yourself I think, a lot of younger people who live alone and just want a small apt, nothing fancy.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:04 PM

Here are some links to the Gilmore, if you're interested. They have a main high rise tower (maybe 10 stories) and then the garden apts, which are 3 stories but I think those are all 2 BR.

Henry Turley Company::Apartments::The Gilmore (broken link)

The Gilmore Apartments Memphis, TN - Apartments for Rent in Memphis Tennessee

Old 12-05-2007, 05:22 PM

Thank you so much. I think I just found my new home!

Old 12-05-2007, 06:21 PM

I went and looked at those other places. At least the areas....it's amazing how many places have no street number on them! The ones on Stonewall might be okay...there were big old houses converted into apts, but there were also some 1970's looking ugly brick places that looked very out of place. But who knows, they may be great inside. The area is okay...not the best, but it's not horrible. There are huge old homes just a block away.

The ones on Madison are in a fine area, but I'm not sure about the complexes. Window A/C, and they seem a little run down on the outside. Again, inside might be fine. I think it's really best to go inside them to see for yourself. At least with something like The Gilmore, you know it's a complex owned by a major corporation (Henry Turley is huge here...) and therefore you're not at the mercy of some random apt owner who may or may not answer the phone when your pipes burst. You know?

The Gilmore is also right above the best italian sandwich deli/store in the city, Fino's. Mmmm....and Huey's is right next door (best burger in Memphis 20 years running)...as well as a beauty shop, a pasta shop, gas station, and Overton Park, the zoo, and the art center are a few blocks away. I sound llike I work for the place, but I honestly don't. It's just a cute place.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:21 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,039,756 times
If you're still looking -- I used to live on Hawthorne, in the stretch between Poplar and N. Parkway. It's a great area, and there are always apartments for rent. You can walk to the Brooks Museum and the zoo within ten minutes. You do have to do as Pearlbob suggested, though, and drive through the neighborhood. The building owners there always put signs out, rather than advertising in the newspaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis