Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 07:53 AM

774 posts, read 2,582,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck1229 View Post
But we must remember that the entertainment market is not just Memphis. Hanna Montanna, sold out and big ticket price, Stevie Wonder, sold out and big ticket price. Maybe we are just not a good sports town.
A big ticket price isn't such a big deal when it's a one-time event. The Grizzlies play dozens of homegames per year. It adds up, particularly when it's competing for U of M game dollars.

Besides I don't see lots of girls between the age of 7 and 13 clamoring for pro basketball tickets.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:04 AM

15 posts, read 55,327 times
Why support a team that has been here less than 10 years and sucks? They need to spend the money to make the Grizzlies better and then people will come and become loyal no matter the record. Can't support a team!? Have you paid any attention to the TIGERS attendance the last oh 9 YEARS! The University of Memphis is in the top 10 in attendance every year!
ADVICE TO GRIZZ:
PAY FOR PLAYERS
GET BETTER
WIN A PLAYOFF GAME
FANS WILL COME

Old 01-09-2008, 11:52 AM

142 posts, read 637,992 times
That's a lame excuse though. They suck so that's why no one goes? That's called being a fair-weathered fan. Support your team even when they are losing. Supporting them through the bad times makes it that much better when they DO win.

Anyone can be a fan of a winner. Look at all the damn Cowboys fans around town.

Memphis CAN support Tigers Basketball but that's it. No other team has done squat there.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:31 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,138,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnative View Post
Memphis CAN support Tigers Basketball but that's it. No other team has done squat there.

Really...how about the Redbirds?

Old 01-09-2008, 12:53 PM

Good point. The Redbirds have done pretty well there also...but I wonder how long that will last?

"The franchise, after six straight seasons of attendance drops, aims to increase attendance next season..."

'Birds set to play mini-ball : Redbirds : Commercial Appeal

Old 01-09-2008, 01:25 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,376,311 times
I think the novelty may have worn off some, but I don't think they'll ever see the decrease in attendence like the Grizzlies. The Redbirds games are more of an "event"...you can take blankets, food, $5 a ticket is good for families, they have games for kids, tons of food, alcohol, stuff going on. The Grizzlies games aren't as family-friendly and the games are shorter making it less of a family day out type of thing.

However, it's about 150 degrees out for the majority of the Redbirds games, which I'm sure keeps many away FedExForum is nice and cool inside..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnative View Post
Good point. The Redbirds have done pretty well there also...but I wonder how long that will last?

"The franchise, after six straight seasons of attendance drops, aims to increase attendance next season..."

'Birds set to play mini-ball : Redbirds : Commercial Appeal

Old 01-09-2008, 01:35 PM

774 posts, read 2,582,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
I think the novelty may have worn off some, but I don't think they'll ever see the decrease in attendence like the Grizzlies. The Redbirds games are more of an "event"...you can take blankets, food, $5 a ticket is good for families, they have games for kids, tons of food, alcohol, stuff going on. The Grizzlies games aren't as family-friendly and the games are shorter making it less of a family day out type of thing.

However, it's about 150 degrees out for the majority of the Redbirds games, which I'm sure keeps many away FedExForum is nice and cool inside..
One thing that also makes the Redbirds family-oriented is that they do have an alcohol-free area on the Bluffs so that a family atmosphere is maintained. They're also very involved with the community in terms of community events at games. For example, when they have special nights for different organizations, we have received seriously discounted tickets for the event to encourage attendance. When our organization was offered a night with the Grizzlies, the cheapest tickets available to our group were in the $40 range. The Redbirds go farther in building community good will than the Grizzlies.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:43 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,376,311 times
Where is it alcohol-free on the bluff? I've always seen beer guys walking thru the bluff selling, and it seems like almost everyone is drinking out there.

I didn't go to a game last season though - did it recently go this way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergal View Post
One thing that also makes the Redbirds family-oriented is that they do have an alcohol-free area on the Bluffs so that a family atmosphere is maintained. They're also very involved with the community in terms of community events at games. For example, when they have special nights for different organizations, we have received seriously discounted tickets for the event to encourage attendance. When our organization was offered a night with the Grizzlies, the cheapest tickets available to our group were in the $40 range. The Redbirds go farther in building community good will than the Grizzlies.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:48 PM

I always enjoyed going to the Redbirds games. Like you guys have said, more family-oriented, but also more of a social event (for those of us without kids).

Old 01-09-2008, 02:23 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck1229 View Post
But we must remember that the entertainment market is not just Memphis. Hanna Montanna, sold out and big ticket price, Stevie Wonder, sold out and big ticket price. Maybe we are just not a good sports town.
Those are one-time events. Having a professional sports franchise requires having people who can afford to go to the events night after night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis