U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 05:00 PM

10 posts, read 9,711 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow CD members. I have accepted a new position in Memphis. My family and I will be relocating in two weeks. I will be in Memphis tomorrow for a week looking for housing. I have searched the forums for a few weeks now trying to get a better understanding of the "Memphis Atmosphere". We spent a few days in Memphis and decided to move there. I will be working at Overton Crossing St & N Watkins area. I attempted to find a reputable real estate company with rental listings without any positive results. Craigslist seems to not have a good mixture of well taken care of homes vs decrepit ones.

I have a few questions:
  • Can you recommend any real estate companies that have rentals in Memphis?
  • Any 2 or 3 br homes around $900-$1100 a month? I have been looking at the downtown and midtown area but open to suggestions.
  • Anything I should know in general about working in the Overton Crossing St & N Watkins area?
  • My wife has contacted all of the Montessori schools in the area but there seems to be a lack of reviews for them. Does anyone have any positive or negative comments about any of the Montessori schools?
  • Any recommended fresh fruit/vegetable markets?

Thanks all my family and I appreciate your help in advance. Brandon
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 06:29 PM

473 posts, read 694,927 times
Welcome to Memphis. Your work is an area known as Frayser which, while safe enough during the day, is not somewhere you would likely want to live. One of the biggest real estate agencies in the area is Crye-Leike. I will say this though. Because so many folks rent in Memphis, the rental rates can be higher than expected.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:10 PM

35 posts, read 53,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazingabove View Post
Hello fellow CD members. I have accepted a new position in Memphis. My family and I will be relocating in two weeks. I will be in Memphis tomorrow for a week looking for housing. I have searched the forums for a few weeks now trying to get a better understanding of the "Memphis Atmosphere". We spent a few days in Memphis and decided to move there. I will be working at Overton Crossing St & N Watkins area. I attempted to find a reputable real estate company with rental listings without any positive results. Craigslist seems to not have a good mixture of well taken care of homes vs decrepit ones.

I have a few questions:
  • Can you recommend any real estate companies that have rentals in Memphis?
  • Any 2 or 3 br homes around $900-$1100 a month? I have been looking at the downtown and midtown area but open to suggestions.
  • Anything I should know in general about working in the Overton Crossing St & N Watkins area?
  • My wife has contacted all of the Montessori schools in the area but there seems to be a lack of reviews for them. Does anyone have any positive or negative comments about any of the Montessori schools?
  • Any recommended fresh fruit/vegetable markets?

Thanks all my family and I appreciate your help in advance. Brandon
On that budget, you MAY be able to find something you like in Midtown, but you most definitely won't find that range in the suburbs. The other thing about Midtown is there are excellent streets and not-so-excellent streets. The good news is that the absolute favorite Montessori school here is in Midtown! I don't know where you are coming from, but you've already noticed the area you will be working isn't exactly "safe" to live. I am not sure what rental companies are reputable, but be sure to grab a newspaper when you get here.

Check this site about schools: http://eastmemphismoms.com/school/em...ssori-schools/

Old 03-17-2015, 10:12 PM

35 posts, read 53,407 times
Rental company that I have heard of and almost dealt with in the past - but went with an individual family instead.

Property Listings: Homes Available For Rent.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:58 AM

737 posts, read 1,698,791 times
Definitely don't live near where you work.

Are you wanting to live in the city (midtown) but for sure do a Montesori school? I don't know much about those schools. There is one on Mud Island downtown. I would suggest living there, but you can't find anything in your price range on the island. That's a low price range for Memphis.

But, midtown may have some things in that price range and you'd be near work and schools. As well as near many Farmers Markets! Are you okay living in an urban area in a neighborhood that is "improving" and "up and coming"? A mix of newly renovated homes along with homes that haven't been fixed up yet and are still so-so? Memphis has many neighborhoods that are in the middle of massive revitalization that may fit your needs. Would you be okay with living somewhere like that? (I ask because many/most people moving here are scared out of their minds and want somewhere safe safe safe and prefer the suburbs...)

Old 03-18-2015, 11:42 AM

6,514 posts, read 14,876,714 times
Frayser is a huge division of Memphis which includes many different neighborhoods. If you're used to urban communities, are street smart, and like to live in a community that needs all the help it can get, you could think about living in Frayser. I worked in the community for a couple years. You could start with the Frayser CDC, Frayser CDC Welcomes You-Home Buyer Education and Affordable Housing - Steve Lockwood, the director, is a smart guy. Worth getting to know if you'll be involved in the community. The best neighborhoods are Skyline Circle, Scenic Hills, and Georgian Hills. Worst are the west side (west of Thomas), Rugby (where you're working, sounds like), and Rangeline/Hawkins Mill Rd. Everything else is a mixed bag, although 99.9% of apartments in Frayser are BAD. Do not live in them.

Otherwise, a 2 bedroom for 1,100 may be doable in Midtown. I always like to use padmapper.com because it aggregates findings from multiple sources (including Craigslist) and represents them spatially. Definitely check out the 'Memphis neighborhoods' map pinned to the top of this forum.

There are some neighborhoods close to Midtown you would want to stay out of (way worse than Frayser, IMHO). Orange Mound is a no-go. Rozelle (centered around Lamar Ave / Rozelle St) is generally a bad real estate investment in the short-term, but is very close to Cooper-Young, so don't get confused about where you are.

The University District is a longer commute to Frayser (I did it in about 25-35 minutes), but you could potentially find better deals on rentals or real estate investments there.

We always did a CSA (community supported agriculture) to get our fresh veggies and supplemented that by going to the downtown farmer's market every weekend. GrowMemphis could hook you up with good CSAs. https://www.facebook.com/pages/GrowM...68594983199516

Last edited by jabogitlu; 03-18-2015 at 11:50 AM..

Old 03-18-2015, 12:32 PM

Here are some example of homes that I personally feel are in fine areas and that may fit your needs. Many places here advertise by yard signs only, so it would help if you found an area of town that you like and drive around looking for For Rent signs. I have no clue about the specifics of each of these, or even if they are legit non-scams (like you find on Craigslist a lot) but I feel these are good neighborhoods and you might potentially like. These are all in the city, most in midtown, a few further out east or near U of M.

114 E Lafayette Cir, Memphis, TN 38111 is For Rent | Zillow

205 S Greer St, Memphis, TN 38111 is For Rent | Zillow

3566 Carnes Ave, Memphis, TN 38111 is For Rent | Zillow

3751 Kearney Ave, Memphis, TN 38111 is For Rent | Zillow

3726 Shirlwood Ave, Memphis, TN 38122 is For Rent | Zillow

2429 Autumn Ave, Memphis, TN 38112 is For Rent | Zillow

2424 Broad Ave, Memphis, TN 38112 is For Rent | Zillow

1058 Fleece Pl, Memphis, TN 38104 is For Rent | Zillow

1815 Mignon Ave, Memphis, TN 38107 is For Rent | Zillow

2275 Jackson Ave, Memphis, TN 38112 is For Rent | Zillow

375 N Oak Grove Rd, Memphis, TN 38120 is For Rent | Zillow

Old 03-18-2015, 08:09 PM

10 posts, read 9,711 times
I will admit the house prices are very reasonable compared to where we live now in Southeast New Mexico. However, I am surprised at the high rent. We are from Lansing, Michigan the state's capital. We are very accustomed to and enjoy living in a densely populated area and the conveniences it provides us. We are determined to find a house in the midtown district. Our daughter has ADD and the Montessori system of teaching is a must for her. She is able to learn without needing to be medicated. Instead of retail shopping twice a week my wife goes to fresh fruit/vegetable farmers markets. It will also provide a reasonable commute to my place of work. My true concern is the safety of the area. Through other threads it seems that you just need to use common sense and a little bit of street savyness to stay out of trouble in Midtown. I would go downtown if I could afford it

jabogitlu The pad mapper website is phenomenal. I know I've been searching those websites for a long time because I truly appreciate the icon changing colors after the property has been viewed. You also mentioned two bad neighborhoods in Midtown. Are there any other neighborhoods in Midtown that you would advise us not to go to?

CristenS Thanks for taking the time to do a search for us with our specific wants/needs/desires. My wife and I have taken a liking to 5 of the houses listed above and have appointments to look at them this Saturday.

85rx-7gsl-se It seems to me like the posters here are correct in saying that many of the homes are not managed by real estate companies and we will have to drive around the neighborhoods looking for any additional houses.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:46 AM

I would take a slight guess to say Memphis is similar to Detroit, in that you may find huge expensive historic homes on one block, then a few blocks over are tiny run down homes. The midtown area here is having a massive revitalization - some areas have always been great, but there are several multimillion dollar projects going on in other areas that are bringing a lot of money and people to those areas. Most farmers markets here are on Saturdays. There is one in Cooper Young that is open year-round. The biggest one is downtown and it opens next month. There is one on Wednesdays at one of the museums. And there are a few other ones throughout the area.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:02 PM

6,514 posts, read 14,876,714 times
Quote:
Are there any other neighborhoods in Midtown that you would advise us not to go to?
I had a few minutes, so I sketched up a map (attached below). These are the areas I would confidently buy a house in, in Midtown. There are other areas that are suitable for investors/investment-minded homeowners - neighborhoods that will probably drastically improve over the next 5-15 years. But as a newcomer to the city, I would avoid those right now.

The best neighborhoods to look in are Evergreen, Vollintine-Evergreen/VECA, Central Gardens, Lenox, Cooper-Young and East End. Neighborhoods I've cut out of the map (rough ones) include Rozelle, Washington Bottoms (the Cleveland St/Madison Ave & Cleveland/Jefferson areas), Evergreen south of Popular Avenue, Crosstown, and northwest VECA (Watkins/Jackson).

Also, Binghampton, Orange Mound, and Glenview/South Parkway are often advertised as "Midtown" or "Midtown Adjacent." I wouldn't advise buying in those neighborhoods.

A good general rule of thumb in Memphis is - if it looks safe, it probably is. Not safe neighborhoods usually have busted up sidewalks, trash piles, houses and landscaping that aren't maintained, etc.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis