Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2008, 01:39 PM

3 posts, read 7,890 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Memphis from the East Coast. I have researched several areas and Collierville seems similar to our present residence. I have read several emails on the forum about Collierville and would like to know anyone's take on this area. While the school system is our main concern, we are also looking for an area that embraces diversity and where the residents are open to people with racially diverse backgrounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 01:46 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,371,912 times
This has been asked a couple times recently; I don't think any major city/suburb in the US is going to have any overt racism against "diverse" people. Like anywhere in the country, I'm sure you'll find a person or two who gives you sideways glances, but Collierville is a major city next an even more major city If you were moving to a rural area, it might be different.

To me, all of these surburbs are just Memphis. It's all a big metro area; it's not like you leave the Memphis city borders and drive through rural farmland to get to Collierville. Memphis is pretty small, IMO. Not sure what you're used to on the east coast, but I think you might be surprised at how small the area is around here, and how easy it is to drive from one end to the other.

Anyway - I wouldn't worry about racism. Memphis city is..70% black? The suburbs are not, of course, but they are still far less "white" than a lot of suburban areas throughout the country.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:17 PM

190 posts, read 649,604 times
Default Collierville Info

I am sure you will find Collierville a pleasant place to live. Great neighborhoods, good schools, and it is growing.

You can visit collierville.com, it is the city web site and that will provide some good info. Search Google and it will give you more stuff about Collierville.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:10 PM

309 posts, read 900,231 times
I am partial to Cordova. I am NYC born and raised but have lived in Alabama and Georgia while in the military. Memphis is diverse in appearance but still working on harmony. Collierville is one of its upscale suburbs. The homes are nice and pricey. Germantown also has nice, pricey homes. You will have to find your own niche in Memphis as far as diversity. Memphis has unique politics. Get the Commercial Appeal and the Shelby Sun Times if you can and read them. You can also tune in to WDIA online and WREG. These will give you a great feel for what makes Memphis tick. It is growing and maturing.
Memphis is very affordable. Your kids can get a good education if you do your research. It has lots of good points to consider. Good luck.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:16 PM

309 posts, read 900,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psi2007 View Post
I am partial to Cordova. I am NYC born and raised but have lived in Alabama and Georgia while in the military. Memphis is diverse in appearance but still working on harmony. Collierville is one of its upscale suburbs. The homes are nice and pricey. Germantown also has nice, pricey homes. You will have to find your own niche in Memphis as far as diversity. Memphis has unique politics. Get the Commercial Appeal and the Shelby Sun Times if you can and read them. You can also tune in to WDIA online and WREG. These will give you a great feel for what makes Memphis tick. It is growing and maturing.
Memphis is very affordable. Your kids can get a good education if you do your research. It has lots of good points to consider. Good luck.

WDIA (mornings from 8-12), Afternoons (4:30-6:30)
WREG (afternoons 4-6)

These will give you the best insight to the Memphis political and
social feelings.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:07 PM

3 posts, read 7,890 times
Thanks to everyone that answered by questions about relocating to Memphis and living in Collierville. I will take your suggestion on looking at the Shelby Sun Times and listening online to WDIA. We are a little nervous about the move, however thanks to your guys we are feeling a lot better.

Emuche

Old 01-17-2008, 01:37 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,184 times
For a taste of the real Memphis, listen to Thaddeus Matthews on AM 990 in the afternoon. Get ready to hear racial epithets most of us never knew could be uttered on radio.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,852 times
You shouldn't feel better and you shouldn't move there. I lived in Memphis for 40 years, and it's no place to raise kids. I moved away last summer. I lived there in the 70's when you could leave your door unlocked and not worry about it. Now security doors with deadbolts are a must. I wish I could say something nice about it, but nothing but BBQ'd ribs come to mind. AVOID moving there at all costs.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:29 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,371,912 times
I'd like to know, in what major US city can you freely leave your doors unlocked this day in age??? The 70's were 30-40 years ago!!

I'll be the first to admit that Memphis has it's fair share of problems, but you can't use examples like that to explain the issues. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere, some farm in Montana...you lock your doors. That is just a part of living in 2008 in a major city and not an example of why Memphis is bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis