Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 09:13 PM

19 posts, read 18,605 times

Advertisements

I was hit by an uninsured motorist driving on a suspended driver's license today. He rear ended me in a school zone in G-town when the traffic in front of me and I were in a complete stop. The back end of my car was badly damaged.

Geico is my insurance company.

The other driver told me to go get an estimate, and he will pay for the damages.

I have the following questions, any information and or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

1. If the other driver will pay, do I take his money according to the estimate, or he pays the body shop directly? If I take the money, and then the body shop asks for more than the estimate when repairs are finished, I will be responsible?
2. If I claim my insurance, and have them go after the other driver, how do I know if my insurance money is enough to do the actual repairs?
3. In other words, what are my rights to make sure I am paid enough to do the actual repairs?
4. How would you handle it if you were me?
5. My lower back started to hurt hours after the accident. But I told the police I wasn't hurt (because I didn't feel anything back then). Too late to complain now?
6. Which auto body shop can I trust?

Thank you.
Joey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 07:05 AM

164 posts, read 375,486 times
4. Man that sucks. I would have reported it to the police. These people have a tendency to flake and not pay after the fact and now there is no record of the incident. Either way your probably not going to be made whole without going through your insurance (most policies have uninsured or under-insured motorist coverage).

It should not impact your insurance (it did not impact mine and I have been rear-ended twice) as this accident is not your fault..

Old 09-17-2015, 07:49 AM

Actually there were 2 cops directing traffic in the school zone when that happened. So the police was involved, and I will have the police report by Monday.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:21 AM

120 posts, read 269,835 times
As long as you a police report then go with insurance. Get your back looked at. Since the driver is irresponsible enough to run without insurance and a valid license, I wouldn't seriously expect him to actually show ANY responsibility here t all and I wouldn't want to interact with him any more. Your insurance company will get your car repaired and then it will be up to them to recoup the money from the other driver if they choose.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:33 AM

737 posts, read 1,916,686 times
I would ask the police what they suggest you do. I am sure this happens a thousands times a month here, no one seems to have car insurance in Memphis. There is probably a very standard procedure the cops suggest you follow. Call the cop who took your report and you can always add info to it. They can put an addendum on it if they have already filed it.

People who don't have insurance are NOT the type of people who are going to pay for your damages. You'll likely need to sue them in court. Talk to the cops and get everything lined up legally on your end in order to do that.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:45 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,690,792 times
Did they ticket the other driver for not having insurance and for driving with a suspended license? At the very least, that would be a ticket with two charges. In some cases, the driver might be handcuffed and taken to jail for driving with a suspended license. He or she certainly wouldn't be driving away from that accident, as the car would have been towed or parked along the side of the roa.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:54 PM

Thank you all for your opinions. The officer let me go when the other driver was staying, so I don't know if he got any tickets until I get to see the police report. So many people drive like they have nothing to lose....

Old 09-17-2015, 05:56 PM

164 posts, read 375,486 times
I though TN just passed a new law that the car would be impounded when someone was caught driving without insurance. Under what circumstances would the cop deem it OK to allow this individual back on the road? Suspended license, no insurance, and an accident. That car should have been impounded by the police.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:37 PM

1,292 posts, read 5,001,437 times
Contact your insurance company and let them handle it. That's what you pay them for.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:33 AM

So I am considered lucky! Watch this:

TN governor signs law to boost fines, tow cars of uninsured driv - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Last edited by Joey2015; 09-18-2015 at 07:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: