U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 03:07 PM

3 posts, read 3,590 times

Advertisements

What are the safest towns vlose to Memphis, TN. Looking to buy NO HOA, safe area with plenty of state jobs???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 03:21 PM

6,918 posts, read 15,636,741 times
State jobs will be mostly downtown Memphis. Safe towns include Memphis/Collierville/Germantown/Lakeland/Arlington/Bartlett TN, Marion & West Memphis Arkansas, and anywhere in North Mississippi. Most of these cities have good and bad areas, but Collierville and Germantown arguably are safe across the board.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:25 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,249,746 times
It'll be a challenge to find a non-HOA property in Collierville or Germantown.

I'd actually check out East Memphis near Walnut Grove.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:03 PM

240 posts, read 308,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded on the Grand Str View Post
What are the safest towns vlose to Memphis, TN. Looking to buy NO HOA, safe area with plenty of state jobs???
Everywhere except West Memphis, South Memphis, and Southeast Memphis (southwind is becoming rough now).

Old 02-22-2016, 06:55 AM

185 posts, read 300,053 times
Southwind is not becoming rough. I see first hand daily. Manicured lawns and high property values tend to not be in rough areas. That enclave and FedEx World HQ property is not on the same planet as anything that could be considered rough unless we're talking about golf.

The residential area south of 385 near the high school is not SW.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldream View Post
Southwind is not becoming rough. I see first hand daily. Manicured lawns and high property values tend to not be in rough areas. That enclave and FedEx World HQ property is not on the same planet as anything that could be considered rough unless we're talking about golf.

The residential area south of 385 near the high school is not SW.
really? I found FedEx HQ area is becoming rough now...Next Hickory Hill..

Old 02-22-2016, 11:00 AM

Southwind and Fed Ex rough? No way. Google Streetview and birds eye view can clear this up easy.

Winchester is a major east/west thoroughfare and there's stores and restaurants along with more traffic from people driving to and from Collierville and Germantown. Maybe that's what you mean by "rough"?

Autonation just spent a boatload of money building a new Honda Dealership to complement the Nissan dealer at 385. South of that area is a mix of housing from low 100s up to some 1M near Holmes Rd. There are some older houses also but it's aged well for suburban tract housing.

Choose any street you consider rough in that area I'll go take a photo any time of the day or night and post back.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:19 AM

Both the FedEx Entrance on Hacks Cross and the Entrance to Southwind before the gated access point

Old 02-22-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldream View Post
Southwind and Fed Ex rough? No way. Google Streetview and birds eye view can clear this up easy.

Winchester is a major east/west thoroughfare and there's stores and restaurants along with more traffic from people driving to and from Collierville and Germantown. Maybe that's what you mean by "rough"?

Autonation just spent a boatload of money building a new Honda Dealership to complement the Nissan dealer at 385. South of that area is a mix of housing from low 100s up to some 1M near Holmes Rd. There are some older houses also but it's aged well for suburban tract housing.

Choose any street you consider rough in that area I'll go take a photo any time of the day or night and post back.
I will not go to somewhere south of Bill Morris at night, even after 4PM.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:56 PM

Logistically I can see why, considering Northwest Arkansas is quite a long distance away. I don't know what you consider safe but the residential area south of 385/Bill Morris is pretty quiet after 5pm.

I have a relative that lives on Meadowvale Dr. who can very well afford to live anywhere but 15 years in and he's getting along quite fine in his modest 3/2 home. He keeps his property well maintained and cars in his garage, no loud music, etc.

I suspect people who feel this area is unsafe haven't been there. I can speculate one main reason but that's a subject I'm not going to broach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>