Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2017, 01:59 PM

31 posts, read 43,712 times

Advertisements

They are similar cities
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 01:59 PM

10,054 posts, read 14,422,738 times
In summary--big differences in the past 10 years have emerged...

Nashville is a boom town with tons of new construction, vibrant nightlife, big population growth for both the city and region, a high-profile recognizable city name nationwide that could be deemed the current "IT" city (along with Austin, TX), and a strong diverse economy.
*2016 estimated city population of about 665k and a 2016 estimated metro area population of about 1,830,000+

Memphis is more of a big city that is slow-growing, with pockets of depressed areas, some great projects that are going in revitalizing certain structures and buildings, but others that have sat vacant and empty for a couple of decades. Memphis has a slower pace, a more laid back easy lifestyle and an overall slower population growth that is almost stagnant unfortunately, the past several years. Great nightlife, restaurants and cheap cost of living here.
*2016 estimated city population of about 655k and a 2016 estimated metro area population of about 1,345,000+

Old 02-01-2017, 06:29 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,999,807 times
The difference? 260'

Old 02-24-2017, 08:28 PM

8 posts, read 9,141 times
While this might be surprising to people on here, I'm a current resident of Nashville looking to move to Memphis. It's true that Nashville is in many ways a current "It" City, but that hasn't really improved life here that much. Most of the city, for example, lacks even sidewalks. Memphis has retained a sense of being a "real city" and that is something I want. Besides, as a Southerner, hordes of folks from Michigan doesn't make Music City a nicer place to live.

Memphis has maintained its unique culture a lot better, and I hope to come there. And note: the crime rates aren't really so different, despite how nice Lower Broadway may appear. While like Memphis it is centered in particular areas, that doesn't make it less real.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:30 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFriendCatcher View Post
Memphis has retained a sense of being a "real city" and that is something I want. Besides, as a Southerner, hordes of folks from Michigan doesn't make Music City a nicer place to live.
As a former Memphian who now lives near Nashville, I agree with this 100%.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:48 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,224,480 times
I lived in Memphis for a few years (and I'm a born-and-raised Tennessean from East TN) and loved every second of it. Seriously, it's such a fun city. Yes, it has its problems including pervasive and systemic racism, multi-generational poverty, and serious crime areas. It's also a treasure trove of architecture, quaint neighborhoods, urban planning, culture, interesting people, and a hive of activity. There's SO much going on all the time - and it sounds like you're ready to engage in a way that will make Memphis very meaningful for you, to live there!

Old 02-25-2017, 06:14 PM

247 posts, read 336,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFriendCatcher View Post
While this might be surprising to people on here, I'm a current resident of Nashville looking to move to Memphis. It's true that Nashville is in many ways a current "It" City, but that hasn't really improved life here that much. Most of the city, for example, lacks even sidewalks. Memphis has retained a sense of being a "real city" and that is something I want. Besides, as a Southerner, hordes of folks from Michigan doesn't make Music City a nicer place to live.

Memphis has maintained its unique culture a lot better, and I hope to come there. And note: the crime rates aren't really so different, despite how nice Lower Broadway may appear. While like Memphis it is centered in particular areas, that doesn't make it less real.
It's not surprising to me at all. I moved back from Nashville a few months ago, but you could sense my frustration while living there by the content of my posts at the time. Nashville felt like a bit of an anomaly as a southern city; a fellow southerner joked that they felt more like they were in Indianapolis. Not that I can say I've ever been there, but the city felt strangely cold ,serious, and materialistic for being the headquarters for music which is everything but those things.

Moving back to and living in Memphis is a different experience. You can see Nashville is clearly ahead in things such as self-promotion and the city is in better shape, but Memphis really seems to do more things that locals actually care about. Other than Bass Pro Shop, the city has seemed to make improvements which not only maintain the character of the city, but have brought new life to historic structures and surrounding areas. Meanwhile, many older places that Nashville residents were fond of are being demolished in favor of giant hotels, condos, touristy attractions, etc.

So, overall, I'm very happy to be back in Memphis. Not only is it cheaper and less frustrating with traffic, but I enjoy the culture and amenities more overall (seriously underrated bar and local theatre scene). And another frustrating thing was the attitude of many I met in Nashville regarding Memphis. For what was considered the friendliest place in America, I wasn't expecting so many nasty comments.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:38 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abc2330 View Post
It's not surprising to me at all. I moved back from Nashville a few months ago, but you could sense my frustration while living there by the content of my posts at the time. Nashville felt like a bit of an anomaly as a southern city; a fellow southerner joked that they felt more like they were in Indianapolis. Not that I can say I've ever been there, but the city felt strangely cold ,serious, and materialistic for being the headquarters for music which is everything but those things.

Moving back to and living in Memphis is a different experience. You can see Nashville is clearly ahead in things such as self-promotion and the city is in better shape, but Memphis really seems to do more things that locals actually care about. Other than Bass Pro Shop, the city has seemed to make improvements which not only maintain the character of the city, but have brought new life to historic structures and surrounding areas. Meanwhile, many older places that Nashville residents were fond of are being demolished in favor of giant hotels, condos, touristy attractions, etc.

So, overall, I'm very happy to be back in Memphis. Not only is it cheaper and less frustrating with traffic, but I enjoy the culture and amenities more overall (seriously underrated bar and local theatre scene). And another frustrating thing was the attitude of many I met in Nashville regarding Memphis. For what was considered the friendliest place in America, I wasn't expecting so many nasty comments.
Good.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:33 PM

247 posts, read 336,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Good.
Thanks.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:13 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,962,208 times
Memphis is more culturally interesting. More affordable right now and has a unique feel that doesn't exist in Nashville.

Last year I did a little random survey in St. Louis of where people would go for a weekend road trip. Nashville wasn't even mentioned at all. Memphis came in 2nd behind Chicago followed by Indianapolis, Kansas city and the Ozarks. When people mentioned Memphis they would always talk about Memphis in May and Beale St.

There was also an out migration map in St. Louis and it showed most popular relocation spots where Dallas, NYC and Chicago. Nashville wasn't mentioned. I say that to say, Nashville isn't the end all be all nor does everyone want to go to Nashville.

What city is better is a personal thing. I would agree that Memphis is the better city to visit.

On the downside Memphis needs good jobs to get to enhance the quality of life!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis