Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 10:59 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,411,956 times

Advertisements

Memphis is a city of over 650,000, with a metro of over 1.3 million. With that in mind, would you consider Memphis a major city? I haven't seen a strict definition of a major city, but there's a decent-sized airport, a major pro sports franchise, a tourism base, conventions and a top-50 (or close to it) media market. At the same time, Memphis seems somewhat small-townish. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 09:44 AM

171 posts, read 356,088 times
I have lived in Washington DC and Seattle. By comparison, Memphis doesn't seem very "major" to me. Yes, we have an airport but it's hard to get anywhere without making a connection. We don't have the same retail/chain stores like other big cities do. The sprawl is what gets to me. The city limits are ridiculous - Memphis is over 300 square miles. Everything is so spread out here that it sometimes feels like long strings of strip malls rather than a coherent city.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:39 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,493,254 times
I'd consider Memphis to be major. Its one of the largest cities in the country in area and top 25 in population. It also has global name recognition and the largest cargo airport in the country.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:26 AM

842 posts, read 828,218 times
I live in the Birmingham area, and although metro Birmingham is just a little behind metro Memphis in population, Memphis just feels significantly bigger to me. Of course the city of Memphis has three times the population of the city of Birmingham, but Birmingham has a lot more independent suburbs where most people live.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:31 PM

160 posts, read 159,356 times
Nope!

Old 06-13-2016, 12:05 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,358,159 times
I personally think so.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:21 AM

30 posts, read 56,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNashville View Post
Nope!
I don't see why not, but then again it doesn't help when you don't explain your reasoning. We're the 23rd largest city in the United States (ahead of Boston, Baltimore, and Atlanta, which are obviously considered major cities). Even counting metro-population, we're 42nd, ahead of New Orleans, Louisville, and Salt Lake City.

To me personally, anything over 350,000 people is a large, major city. Obviously we fit the bill.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:27 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,054,024 times
Who cares? Culture is what ithe is about.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:46 PM

84 posts, read 160,902 times
A couple of points, when talking about city size one should not use the city limits population when discussing the "practical" population.

To put it another way, say I'm a Fortune 1000 company, and I'm looking to open a regional office. What metric more accurately describes the region's population the MSA or city limits size?

Thus, while Memphis has a larger city limits population than either Atlanta or Boston, no one in their right mind would consider Memphis to be a "larger" city than either of those cities

Now going back to your original question, "Is Memphis a major city?" It's a vague question. This is such a hard question that I don't know how to answer. So, I'm going to rephrase it, "What is Memphis' relative cultural, political, economic influence/mindset relative to other cities?"

Let's begin by comparing the population of Memphis to other similarly sized cities

In MSA population (this is the one that counts NOT CITY LIMITS), Memphis is below Greenville, SC (40), Oklahoma city (39), and Grand Rapid, MI (38). So, would one consider any of these "major" cities (rhetorical question).

Now, Memphis has a unique cultural heritage, a surprisingly larger corporate presence relative to its population, and a very strong presence in the healthcare industry. Thus, the city's cultural/economic/political influence may or may not be higher than its population relative to other cities.

So, interestingly enough there have been think tanks that have tried to grade cities. The most famous one is the Globalization and World Cities Research Network.

From Wikipedia:
"Alpha++ cities are London and New York City, which are vastly more integrated with the global economy than all other cities.
Alpha+ cities are the eight cities that complement London and New York City by filling advanced service niches for the global economy. Examples are Tokyo and Paris.
Alpha and Alpha- cities are the 13 and 22 cities, respectively, that link major economic regions into the world economy. Examples of Alpha cities are Chicago and Mumbai while examples of Alpha- are Seoul and Johannesburg.
Beta level cities are the 78 cities that link moderate economic regions into the world economy. Examples are Bangalore (Beta+), Ho Chi Minh City (Beta) and Guatemala City (Beta-).
Gamma level cities are the 59 cities that link smaller economic regions into the world economy. Examples are Zagreb (Gamma+), Glasgow (Gamma) and Nantes (Gamma-).
High Sufficiency level cities are the 41 cities that have a high degree of accountancy, advertising, banking/finance, and law services so as not to be dependent on world cities. Examples are Southampton, Edmonton and Belo Horizonte.
Sufficiency level cities are the 84 cities that have a sufficient degree of services so as not to be obviously dependent on world cities. Examples are Florence, Phnom Penh and Madison"

So, Memphis is a sufficiency city. Nashville is also a sufficiency city. Hartford (with similar population, but maybe because of financial importance) is a high sufficiency city. Milwaukee and Cincinnatti are amma cities

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/world2012t.html

Old 06-21-2016, 08:27 PM

240 posts, read 344,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
Memphis is a city of over 650,000, with a metro of over 1.3 million. With that in mind, would you consider Memphis a major city? I haven't seen a strict definition of a major city, but there's a decent-sized airport, a major pro sports franchise, a tourism base, conventions and a top-50 (or close to it) media market. At the same time, Memphis seems somewhat small-townish. What do you think?
Used to be until 1950..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis