Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Memphis: full-time telecommuting, family atmosphere, large yard, boring suburbanites, stable

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 08:15 AM

3 posts, read 7,395 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our early 30s and are ready to settle down and start a family. We naively plan on buying a home and living in it nearly forever. We have decided to move to the Memphis area from Richmond to be closer to family (Tupelo & Baton Rouge). We both went to school at Ole Miss and would frequently drive up on the weekends, so we already have a general idea of Memphis… granted from about 10 – 15 years ago.

Neither of us needs to figure work location into where we live since we will be full-time telecommuting from our current jobs.

Where would you suggest we live given the following:
1) We only want to end up paying about $250k for a house with at least 4 bedrooms
2) We want a location with a family atmosphere - one where new families and young children tend to be now vs. a location mostly populated by older couples who already have grown children out of the house
3) We’d rather not send our children to private schools
4) We want a yard large enough for a Great Dane to run around
5) For the most part we’re boring suburbanites who don’t plan on needing entertainment at our doorstep (sad, but true), but when we want to go downtown we don’t want it to be a major ordeal
6) In 25 years or so, we'd like the area to still be generally good/safe/etc

I’ve seen from other posts that our best bets are Germantown, Collierville and Arlington. That’s where our focus will be, but why doesn’t anyone ever mention Bartlett?

I’m also trying to convince my husband that Germantown’s demographics aren’t too old for a young family… is he right?

Thanks for your opinions and advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 09:20 AM

774 posts, read 2,582,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagberts View Post
My husband and I are in our early 30s and are ready to settle down and start a family. We naively plan on buying a home and living in it nearly forever. We have decided to move to the Memphis area from Richmond to be closer to family (Tupelo & Baton Rouge). We both went to school at Ole Miss and would frequently drive up on the weekends, so we already have a general idea of Memphis… granted from about 10 – 15 years ago.

Neither of us needs to figure work location into where we live since we will be full-time telecommuting from our current jobs.

1) We only want to end up paying about $250k for a house with at least 4 bedrooms
2) We want a location with a family atmosphere - one where new families and young children tend to be now vs. a location mostly populated by older couples who already have grown children out of the house
5) For the most part we’re boring suburbanites who don’t plan on needing entertainment at our doorstep (sad, but true), but when we want to go downtown we don’t want it to be a major ordeal

I’ve seen from other posts that our best bets are Germantown, Collierville and Arlington. That’s where our focus will be, but why doesn’t anyone ever mention Bartlett?

I’m also trying to convince my husband that Germantown’s demographics aren’t too old for a young family… is he right?

Well, it's going to be difficult to tell you any area that's going to be safe in 25 years from now. There's just no predicting it. There were areas all over the county that were wonderful places to live 25 years ago which just aren't suitable now.

You don't hear much about Bartlett because some of the bordering areas are transitional - particularly on the Western edge - some on the southern edge as well. There are some undesirable things going on on the Western edge of Bartlett which are starting to spill over. The Craigmont area is starting to bleeed into that part of Bartlett, so that's becoming problematic.

If I were to choose from the ones you're talking about - I'd go with Germantown, if you want to maintain your investment. The areas that grow up from nothing to cities overnight tend to not hold their values as well and the faster a home is built, the more poorly it is built. In Germantown, you're going to find homes that aren't as new, but are probably built much more soundly. You also avoid the cookie cutter neighborhood situation. I'm not sure what $250,000 would get you there though. I also think the government situation there is very stable and very rooted in community values. The community is very established. In Germantown, you're also likely to find a yard large enough for your dog to romp around

I don't think Germantown's demographics are too old for a family just starting out. After all, someone is populating those very large schools there. Areas tend to maintain their value and charm best when there's a mix of ages and experiences within them.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:22 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,977 times
Germantown trends a little older simply because it is more expensive. Most younger people haven't been in the workforce long enough to build the kind of wealth that is necessary to afford a nice place in Germantown.

Bartlett doesn't get mentioned as often as the other suburbs because it's not as new or as big or as flashy. It's still a good place to raise a family, but it's more of a blue-collar suburb than Germantown or even Collierville (though there are plenty of well-to-do types in Bartlett as well).

Best wishes.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:29 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times
Why not Tupelo? Its a growing place with entertainment and lots new subdivisions with young families.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:41 AM

3 posts, read 7,395 times
Thanks for your thoughts so far! I really appreciate them.

Lt. Dan, Tupelo is where his family lives. They're great, but that may be a little too convenient for the in-laws

Old 02-15-2008, 09:47 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,139,506 times
Two words....Desoto County
(Mississippi)

Old 02-15-2008, 10:57 AM

340 posts, read 1,314,630 times
I live in Bartlett, and have for most of my life. It is mostly a quiet, safe community. There are some areas to the west of Bartlett and south of Bartlett (actually, mostly to the southwest side) that have been trending down with the decline at Craigmont High School (a Memphis City School). There are also some newer neighborhoods off New Brownsville that started rough and got worse. These areas aren't in Bartlett and never will be, but they are a little too close to have no effect on the areas. Kind of like Hickory Hill and Southwind and the affect those areas have on Collierville and Germantown.

All that aside, I think the main reason Bartlett has lost some buzz is the growth in Arlington and Lakeland (mainly Arlington). Arlington is a newer community (at least as a bedroom community of Memphis) and therefore has a newer feel. Plus, it is a little more removed from Memphis (at least from the less nice parts of Memphis), so people looking to get further from that look to Arlington more than Bartlett.

As for me, I prefer a more established community with more established neighborhoods. with good parks, generally good schools, good community services, more shopping and dining options in the city itself, and a good Police Department and Fire Department. That is why I would pick Bartlett or Germantown over the newer growth suburbs like Collierville, Arlington, or Lakeland. Collierville has all of the above options and is a good choice, but it is much newer and less established than Germantown.

It is a tradeoff in either Bartlett or Germantown (being older, they are closer to Memphis and the attendant problems that can bring), but it is one I feel is worth making.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:04 PM

376 posts, read 1,779,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagberts View Post

Your budget will be a little tight for Germantown. You can find a house in that price range, but it isn't going to have all the amenities a family would expect (large master bath, seperate laundry room, walk-in closets, etc). There are lots of young families in Germantown. Even in Collierville, that budget would be a little tight, though you could probably find something you like that is 10-20 years old. The best schools by far are in Germantown and Collierville. Your budget will get you farther in Olive Branch or Southaven, which have decent schools and are safe, though they aren't as nice as Germantown and Collierville and you have to pay MS income tax. You should also consider Arlington and Lakeland, which are similar to Olive Branch. Fayette County is the new hotspot, but private schools are an absolute must if you live there. You should also consider Oxford. You can find a decent house in your price range in a subdivision not too far from the city center, schools are very good, crime is very low, and there is plenty to do. One caveat: it is a college town as you know. If you don't like to be around partying students, then don't move there (though not many live in subdivisions in your price range, this more of a concern downtown and when eating/shopping on the square).

Old 02-15-2008, 03:50 PM

264 posts, read 1,151,509 times
Millington isnt an awful place either. It may be a little "redneck" some folks say, but the homes are real cheap (not just trailors!) However, the schools are horrendous to say the least. The elementary schools are okay but after that- Millington's 3 major private schools (all mostly revolve around the Baptist Church) are a great alternative. But I guess you said you dont want private schools so... After Millington I would choose Arlington (great schools!) or the very family-oriented Collierville, if you like a smaller town feel. I'd choose Bartlett over Germantown, a good place in G-Town is way too expensive.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:48 PM

70 posts, read 300,691 times
You may face a challenge finding a home that meets your needs in Germantown. It's possible, but a 4 bedroom home in Germantown, with a yard, priced at $250k or below, that does not need some work would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. You may find more homes that suit your needs in Collierville, Arlington, Lakeland, Fayette County, and possibly in Mississippi as well.

Last edited by Bidney Turner; 02-15-2008 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis