Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2008, 01:06 PM

5 posts, read 19,665 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me any information about this place. I thought it was a hospital, but now I'm thinking it's both a school and hospital. DH has applied with them and they have called him for additional information before scheduling an interview. We live 12 hours from Memphis and know very little about the city. This forum if full of valuable information, but for now, we're just trying to get some insight to the UT Health Science Center. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 02:33 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,377,196 times
The U of TN's medical school is located here in Memphis. THus, the UT Health Centers. So it's an entire campus, not just a hospital. UT is affiliated with The Med, LeBonheur, and Methodist, which are hospitals downtown (well, in the medical center). But "UT Health Science Center" could mean anything, anwhere.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:43 PM

774 posts, read 2,582,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanda View Post
Can anyone give me any information about this place. I thought it was a hospital, but now I'm thinking it's both a school and hospital. DH has applied with them and they have called him for additional information before scheduling an interview. We live 12 hours from Memphis and know very little about the city. This forum if full of valuable information, but for now, we're just trying to get some insight to the UT Health Science Center. Thanks.
UTHSC is the University of Tennessee Center for Health Sciences. Their primary hospital affiliation is Methodist-Le Bonheur - Hence the name of the Methodist Hospital campus - Methodist University Hospital. UT does some work with The Med but there is not an official affiliation.

UTHSC is first and foremost the state medical school.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
The U of TN's medical school is located here in Memphis. THus, the UT Health Centers. So it's an entire campus, not just a hospital. UT is affiliated with The Med, LeBonheur, and Methodist, which are hospitals downtown (well, in the medical center). But "UT Health Science Center" could mean anything, anwhere.

Actually, UT's teaching hospital is Methodist University. They have a few residency programs with The Med because of the nature of it as a trauma unit, but Methodist University is the adult teaching hospital, while Le Bonheur is the pediatric teaching hospital. They've also changed the name to UT Health Science Center, where it used to be UTCHS. So, the "UT Health Science Center" only means the med school downtown. This was a not particularly well-publicized change in name.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:56 PM

376 posts, read 1,779,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanda View Post
UT does not have its own hospitals. It is a large medical, dental, nursing, pharmacy, PT/OT school. It is affiliated with The Med (county hospital), Methodist University, Le Bonheur, and the VA. It also does some work with Baptist, though to a much lesser extent.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennreb View Post
UT does not have its own hospitals. It is a large medical, dental, nursing, pharmacy, PT/OT school. It is affiliated with The Med (county hospital), Methodist University, Le Bonheur, and the VA. It also does some work with Baptist, though to a much lesser extent.
Actually, it does have it's own hospital. Most recently, the UT Bowld Hospital functioned only as a transplant center. That transplant center has been absorbed into Methodist University Hospital as the UT Bowld Transplant Center. Methodist took over management, but it is still very much a University entity.

Other hospitals are affiliated with UT, but Methodist University is The teaching hospital for UT.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:07 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,377,196 times
Regardless, what the poster is asking can be answered by: No, it's not a hospital. If you are interviewing for a job at "UT Health Science Center" that could mean anything, anwhere. You could be working in a hospital, an office building, a building of classrooms, a parking garage, etc. I would think the actual job title would tell you more about where you'll be working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: