Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 12:31 PM

101 posts, read 344,608 times

Advertisements

Any place in the "High Point" area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 02:47 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
Did you not get a chance to drive around midtown and look for "For Rent" signs?

I'm not sure about "high point." As in sort of the NE area of Memphis?

Old 03-02-2008, 03:13 PM

774 posts, read 2,582,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleT View Post
Any place in the "High Point" area?
If you're referring to the High Point Terrace area (between Highland and Graham with Walnut Grove as a northern boundary and SAm Cooper Blvc as a southern boundary), it's a very nice area. There's a nice mix of young profesisonals starting out and older people. The houses are, in general, more expensive per square foot than nearly any other neighborhood in the area. It is a very nice area and very well kept up. The houses aren't enormous, but the neighborhood has a lot of character and a great deal of neighborhood pride. It's a real community.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:39 PM

I believe, at least a couple years ago, that it was the fastest growing home price in town. As in, younger people were paying a ton just to get tiny little homes in that area, which was something relatively new. I think it's a good area, however if you are really dead-set on being somewhere close to other young people, singles, near nightlife, etc..it probably wouldn't be a great area for you. Midtown and downtown would have a lot more to offer.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:17 PM

Well things look more promising--The Bristol on Union has a 1 bedroom opening that is $775 which includes Water and Basic Cable.I already emailed her back and told her I was interested in it and I'm planning on going back at the end of this week.

We did drive around and I called a couple of numbers; All answering machines because they work Monday-Friday.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:27 PM

376 posts, read 1,779,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleT View Post
Well things look more promising--The Bristol on Union has a 1 bedroom opening that is $775 which includes Water and Basic Cable.I already emailed her back and told her I was interested in it and I'm planning on going back at the end of this week.

We did drive around and I called a couple of numbers; All answering machines because they work Monday-Friday.
I think the Bristol is overpriced. The neighborhood isn't very good. You can live downtown for the same price and be able able to walk to bars and restaurants. Look at Uptown Square.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:50 PM

I agree that for the price of Bristol, you should be able to get in at Gayoso, No 10 Main, South Bluffs, or something that is walkable to things. Plus, you will be working downtown. Being able to walk to work it worth at least $100 in rent (to me). I think you mentioned that your work will be giving you a discount for parking, so that is a plus. Being able to sleep in and literally run to work might be worth a lot! Plus, being able to go out, have some drinks, and walk home....priceless (to a young person, maybe I'm assuming, but even to me it's a great pro for a home).

Old 03-02-2008, 06:32 PM

The downside of downtown to me is convenience to things like Kroger. Walmart. Things like that. I also consider the fact my boyfriend will be driving to see me and I don't want him to have to pay each time. I don't qualify for the discount at Gayoso. I AM calling about South Bluffs tomorrow, but the locator who emailed me about them said all they had available were the $945/month units. One of my sorority sisters grew up in midtown and says if she ever moves back, she'd go to the Bristol. I think Midtown is where I want to be, but I want the amenities of a newer building(although I did love The Gilmore).

Old 03-03-2008, 07:32 AM

Well, downtown is closer to Wal Mart. There is one across the river in West Memphis. Otherwise, both midtown and downtown are a long ways away from Wal Mart.

Also, the Kroger on Poplar is very ghetto, frankly. I wouldn't shop there. The Piggly Wiggly on Madison is pretty bad too. Schnucks on Union is very small, but seems to be where most middle to upper class in the area shop. However, a lot of midtowners drive to West Memphis or east Memphis to shop, so really....midtown isn't THAT much closer to groceries. However, I do understand if you are talking about living downtown and having to lug groceries from your car somewhere - that would be a headache.

Keep in mind: newer doesn't equate to better. I lived in a brand new complex downtown, and it was crappy. Thin walls, thin floors and ceilings, I could hear my neighbors talking. Things were shoddily built and broke often. I could hear every car that drove by outside (and with Bristol on Union, you will have nonstop loud traffic 24/7 plus you're right on the interstate). If they show you a unit, you'd want to see the exact one you'd be getting, so you can get a feel for the noise you'll be hearing inside.

Just something to keep in mind, if you're wanting to be on the intersection of an interstate and a major road like at Bristol. Traffic and noise can be major problems right there.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:48 AM

I just can't justify spending over half of my income to live downtown.

I've spoken to someone who lives at the Bristol and he can see the interstate from his window and has no noise problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis