Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2016, 12:57 PM

56 posts, read 82,547 times

Advertisements

I noticed a fair amount of train tracks through Memphis.

1. East West from the Memphis Arkansas I-55 bridge which goes N through Binghampton.

2. A connector to the first one running East -West along Southern Ave.

How many trains are using these tracks and how loud are their horns? Especially at night.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 01:21 PM

7,497 posts, read 17,098,186 times
Trains in Memphis are frequent and somewhat loud. The Southern Avenue train in particular is fairly disruptive to traffic along Goodlett, Highland, White Station, etc. I lived in Cooper-Young two blocks off the tracks and the sound wasn't unbearable, just a nice friendly addition to the noises of the city.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:39 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,380,698 times
There's a railroad that runs through Bartlett as well. Not as busy as Southern, but it does block traffic from time to time.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:57 AM

171 posts, read 353,603 times
I have friends who live right by the Southern Ave train tracks (apartments off of Poplar in East Memphis), and they say that the train noise wakes them up at night sometimes. They are about 1 block from the tracks. If they aren't in a deep sleep, then the train horn will wake them up.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:20 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,930,852 times
It depends on whether you live near an intersection. They have to blow their horn whenever they see the horn signs before intersections. In places like Germantown and Collierville where you can drive for a little while without hitting a red light, horns aren't an issue. However, I can see it being an issue in areas of Memphis where there are a lot of intersections close together (apartments near Poplar @ Estate, for example). I lived in a house where our back door was probably 80 feet from railroad tracks, and we were all used to it. I would sleep right through a train but still wake up from other sounds, as if my mind was filtering out trains.
I've seen people complain about trains coming through town a few times on here over the years, but just remember the train was here before the cities built around it. It isn't their fault they're boxed in by residential areas.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:00 PM

120 posts, read 267,068 times
In Collierville (same line as the one on Southern Ave.) it's very busy. It varies but 5 trains a day, sometime more, are normal. The horns are LOUD. I'm 1 1/2 miles from the Byhalia (and other nearby crossings) and can hear them in my bedroom. At this distance it's not disturbing at all but I would hate to live anywhere within, say a half a mile for less from the tracks. There are many places where large and small intersections are so close together that the trains basically start blowing for one and just keep blowing for the next.

Whether it's disturbing to you is, of course, subjective but I would not buy a house any closer than I am.

Old 08-05-2016, 03:10 PM
bjh

59,707 posts, read 30,160,871 times
Train noise is part of the charm and more romantic than jet noise. One plus is, if you're driving along the tracks on Poplar and a train is going through, all the lights turn green so you can get down the road faster.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:10 AM

120 posts, read 267,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Train noise is part of the charm and more romantic than jet noise. One plus is, if you're driving along the tracks on Poplar and a train is going through, all the lights turn green so you can get down the road faster.
Yeah. I love that! You can go non-stop on Poplar/Poplar Pike from Byhalia to Hacks Cross (or the other way around) if you catch one going the right way. I like train whistles, and trains in general as I'm a bit of a trainspotter, and agree they actually add something charming to the area, b-u-t that charm instantly evaporates if it too loud. About a mile from any crossing works for me.

Old 08-07-2016, 01:57 PM

7,497 posts, read 17,098,186 times
Yep, it was always nice getting through East Memphis (the White Station/Mendenhall area) if a train was coming through. :-D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis