Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 07:43 AM

72 posts, read 92,389 times

Advertisements

Potential move coming to Memphis. Working in west side of Germantown. Don't mid up to a 30/40 minute commute. We will be looking for a newer home built in 2000+ and will build what we want as long as we can find the property. Looking for an estate sized lot 1+ acre up to 8-10 acres preferably in a neighborhood type community or maybe even planned community. Want to head east of where I work, not in MS. Open to lots of different home styles. Germantown, Collierville Fayette County. Our budget can handle up to $750k but would much prefer to be all in around $500k on a cash deal. Love a charming area. Kids are grown and gone, just us. Looking for information on developments, builders good and bad, stay away froms... etc. Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 08:50 AM

737 posts, read 1,916,871 times
You can get a huge house for $500-750k in this area. If you want 10 acres, you'll have to go way out, and I'm not sure I'd consider anything way outside of town to be too charming. If you go to realtor.com, you can narrow search to price and to 1 acre+. Here are some examples. As for just land, you can search for that as well.

9535 Fox Hill Cir N, Germantown, TN 38139 - realtor.com®

10775 Bethany Pl, Eads, TN 38028 - realtor.com®

11221 Glen Birnham Rd, Eads, TN 38028 - realtor.com®

293 Southmill Dr, Eads, TN 38028 - realtor.com®

12290 Macon Rd, Collierville, TN 38017 - realtor.com®

12116 Macon Rd, Collierville, TN 38017 - realtor.com®

230 Brier Hills Dr, Piperton, TN 38017 - realtor.com®

280 Greenbrier Lakes Blvd, Piperton, TN 38017 - realtor.com®

Old 01-12-2017, 08:51 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,398,227 times
Germantown and Collierville have excellent public schools and people pay a substantial premium to live there for that reason. You probably won't find a large lot at your budget there. However, since you don't need the schools, and prefer more land, which is expensive in Gtown and Cville, I'd look into unincorporated Shelby County if I were you. Specifically, Eads/Fisherville (the area north of Collierville) has a lot of estate properties. Also, no city property taxes in unincorporated ares. Just as example of what you'll find out there. I have no connections to any of these properties:
520 N Reid Hooker Rd, Unincorporated, TN 38028 - realtor.com®
11215 Silsbe Ln, Eads, TN 38028 - realtor.com®
11036 Latting Woods Rd, Unincorporated, TN 38028 - realtor.com®

Old 01-12-2017, 11:37 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
I see you're in New England. Have you been to Memphis?

My advice is to not disregard your notions so far, but *also* look heavily at both East Memphis and Chickasaw Gardens. Much of what you're talking about (neighborhood feel, classic-style development with lots of property-specific amenities) can be found there.

I might be way off base, but I'm also thinking you might drive into Eads, or Piperton, and go....huh. This isn't what I was looking for, at all.

A couple examples of Chickasaw Gardens: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1268...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1301...7i13312!8i6656

I was going to provide some examples of East Memphis too, but my Google Street View function just stpped working. But, if you investigate the area around Shady Grove Road at Whitestation or Mendenhall Roads, that's what I had in mind for you.

Last edited by jabogitlu; 01-12-2017 at 11:48 AM..

Old 01-12-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I see you're in New England. Have you been to Memphis?

My advice is to not disregard your notions so far, but *also* look heavily at East Memphis. Much of what you're talking about (neighborhood feel, classic-style development with lots of property-specific amenities) can be found there.

I might be way off base, but I'm also thinking you might drive into Eads, or Piperton, and go....huh. This isn't what I was looking for, at all.
Thanks for reply....... changed my bio. Currently in Dallas. Yes I have been to Memphis and have some dear friends there. The are rather opinionated about goods and bads there in Memphis thus my forum correspondance.

I am kinda a straight shooter..... are you suggesting that Eads or Piperton are too rural... we do need some decent amenities and do not want to be too far out of touch. Just want to make sure I don't end up with a trailer home going on open property next to me. So if you could clarify for me please.

East Memphis comes with its very own reputation. Not going to debate that with anyone on here, but my research seems to indicate it might have much of the property, close to amenities. What are the tax implications of East Memphis? Is there any newer homes or are we looking at rebuilds?

Old 01-12-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
Germantown and Collierville have excellent public schools and people pay a substantial premium to live there for that reason. You probably won't find a large lot at your budget there. However, since you don't need the schools, and prefer more land, which is expensive in Gtown and Cville, I'd look into unincorporated Shelby County if I were you. Specifically, Eads/Fisherville (the area north of Collierville) has a lot of estate properties. Also, no city property taxes in unincorporated ares. Just as example of what you'll find out there. I have no connections to any of these properties:
520 N Reid Hooker Rd, Unincorporated, TN 38028 - realtor.com®
11215 Silsbe Ln, Eads, TN 38028 - realtor.com®
11036 Latting Woods Rd, Unincorporated, TN 38028 - realtor.com®
Can you help we with the Tennessee definition of unincorporated? Relestate taxes appear to be very low in TN versus my current home here in Texas. I am paying $12k per year on my home. I will do some more research on zillow for east memphis. thanks for the info.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristenS View Post
You can get a huge house for $500-750k in this area. If you want 10 acres, you'll have to go way out, and I'm not sure I'd consider anything way outside of town to be too charming. If you go to realtor.com, you can narrow search to price and to 1 acre+. Here are some examples. As for just land, you can search for that as well.

[[/url]
Some good listings. Looks like a good place to start. thanks

Old 01-12-2017, 12:59 PM

1,292 posts, read 5,001,959 times
Unincorporated simply means that the property isn't within any city limits...so you only pay county property tax, and no city tax. You'll often see properties listed as Fisherville or Eads, which are mostly unincorporated.

Piperton is just across the Fayette/Shelby County line from Collierville. There has been plenty of development in that area over the last few years. The negative there is that the public schools aren't great - but that's not an issue for people with no kids, no plans for them - or those who put their kids into private schools anyway. The positive is that property taxes are lower than Shelby County.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:25 PM

737 posts, read 1,916,871 times
The issue with unincorporated land is that it can possibly be later incorporated into the nearest city. That has been the downfall of some areas around Memphis that were unincorporated and later taken over by the city of Memphis. Whether land being incorporated into Eads or Piperton would be good or bad - I don't know. Not sure if something like that would even be a possibility, but that is something a good realtor should be able to help you with.

Eads is really rural...not sure there is anything out that way other than land. No grocery stores, etc. I've heard terrible things about schools out that way, and in Piperton too. Could hurt during resale.

Overall, house will have both County Taxes and City Taxes. Memphis City tax is significantly higher than that of Germantown or Collierville. However, a house in an unincorporated area would only have County tax.

"East Memphis" can mean just about half the city of Memphis. You aren't going to find much over an acre of land anywhere in Memphis. Definitely not 5+. I didn't look at the above suggestions but here are a few quick ones:

5370 Lexington Rd, Memphis, TN 38120 - realtor.com®

4726 Gwynne Rd, Memphis, TN 38117 - realtor.com®

4390 Chickasaw Rd, Memphis, TN 38117 - realtor.com®

Old 01-12-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristenS View Post
The issue with unincorporated land is that it can possibly be later incorporated into the nearest city. That has been the downfall of some areas around Memphis that were unincorporated and later taken over by the city of Memphis. Whether land being incorporated into Eads or Piperton would be good or bad - I don't know. Not sure if something like that would even be a possibility, but that is something a good realtor should be able to help you with.

"East Memphis" can mean just about half the city of Memphis. You aren't going to find much over an acre of land anywhere in Memphis. Definitely not 5+. I didn't look at the above suggestions but here are a few quick ones:
[/url]
Thanks for the info. Relocation service will set me up with a realtor shortly. Really want to stay on the good side of this tax situation. The taxes posted on realtor or zillow..... are they inclusive of both city and county taxes? We would also be satisfied with anything north of 1 acre... more the merrier.

Any new developments in those areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis