Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 06:45 AM

100 posts, read 486,284 times

Advertisements

The recommendation by SIMCITY on another thread (rent or buy for one year) would warrant a look.
65 W. Lafayette Ci. Is in a good neighborhood, very close to the U of M, and not too far from Poplar and Ridgeway, and it would be opposite of rush hour traffic.
A 5 year time line seems long enough to break even, or even show a profit.
It soulds like a bargain in a good neighborhood, with a long enough timeline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 01:27 PM

4 posts, read 8,790 times
I live in the 38117 area (Colonial Acres) and love it. We recently moved last August and looked at a lot of houses but really liked the ones in this subdivision. We concentrated in the "square" of Poplar, Perkins, Flamingo and Mt. Moriah. There are a lot of young couples and young families here. Many like us have taken a fixer on and are renovating the neighborhood which in turn ups the value of the homes. And there are homes that have already been "fixed" ready to move in. I have only seen a few for sale signs around here since we moved. We tried to get three other houses before this but were just shy of signing before the person before us made already had the contract...so in other words, this has become a desireable area. Close to everything. I tell people yeah we can go there, "its up the road". They probably think I am a broken record when I say that but it is true. Everything in reach: Movie Theatre, Resturants, Parks...Good luck!

Old 03-07-2008, 02:11 PM

774 posts, read 2,581,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
The 38119 zip has gone substantially bad pretty quick recently (near Hickory Hill). It's not all bad, but some is definitely not good. Definitely stay as close to Poplar as you can, and not more southern past Park.

Not in between, but you can also get a fairly inexpensive house just west of UM, on either side of Central. Again, stay as close to Central as you can. But there are some cheaper homes directly west (although the closer to UM, the more rentals you'll be around) and there are some small but nice neighborhoods between Poplar and Central just east of the Pink Palace.

Edit: I think I mean stay north of Quince if you are down there in SE Memphis. Quince is more southern than Park. I think. (it's already been a long day, sorry.....)
38119 goes well north of Walnut Grove, so it is possible (and likely) to find a nice home in a nice area in that zip code. I'd stay as close to Walnut Grove as possible, though, rather than as close to Poplar as possible. Less traffic and noise, more residential. The Belz home is in the 38119 zip code so that's a pretty good indicator it's not a bad neighborhood.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:09 AM

4 posts, read 8,790 times
I meant the square of Park, Perkins, Flamingo and Mt. Moriah....not Poplar (good call tigergal). That is a busy road but Park is great for getting around. Especially going to where you work. It is not busy and goes all the way to germantown and as the name indicates has a lot of parks on it. It is good from Audubon Park area down to where it turns into Poplar Pike.

We just got a lot of snow here and had a ball playing outside but I think I am ready for that 60 and above degree weather to come.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:23 PM

22 posts, read 89,365 times
Check out Colonial Acres...near Park and Whitestation. It is nice and the neighborhood is established. You might also check out Walnut Grove/Barfield area.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:26 AM

89 posts, read 317,039 times
A surrounding county.

Seriously.

Less taxes. Less chances of it getting broken into.

And the way Willie likes to annex nowhere in the county is safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis