Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 01:52 PM

89 posts, read 317,039 times

Advertisements

The Happy Mexican (Downtown, near Civil Rights Museum)
La Hacienda (a couple locations I think)
Margaritas (West Memphis)

Those are my favorites
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 04:46 PM

376 posts, read 1,779,022 times
Happy Mexican downtown is very good by Memphis standards. Tell the waiter that you are more interested in authentic Mexican, and he will suggest some things that aren't on the menu. There salsa verde is very good and spicy but is a special request. For really authentic hole-in-the-wall Mexican, you must go to La Guadalajuara or something like that on Summer Ave. Anyone that knows food can tell you how to get there. Don't count on anyone speaking English, but you can make do by pointing. I don't even know what I'm ordering in there, but whatever they bring me is always excellent. Los Tortugas Deli Mexicana in Germantown has the best fish tacos I've ever had, and that includes numerous supposedly famous places in San Diego.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:44 PM

101 posts, read 344,522 times
Oh I LOVE Salsa verde.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:26 PM

2 posts, read 10,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennreb View Post
Happy Mexican downtown is very good by Memphis standards. Tell the waiter that you are more interested in authentic Mexican, and he will suggest some things that aren't on the menu. There salsa verde is very good and spicy but is a special request. For really authentic hole-in-the-wall Mexican, you must go to La Guadalajuara or something like that on Summer Ave. Anyone that knows food can tell you how to get there. Don't count on anyone speaking English, but you can make do by pointing. I don't even know what I'm ordering in there, but whatever they bring me is always excellent. Los Tortugas Deli Mexicana in Germantown has the best fish tacos I've ever had, and that includes numerous supposedly famous places in San Diego.
The place on Summer is called La Guadalupana. It's just west of Mendenhall on the north side of the street. It is, BY FAR, the ONLY authentic Mexican restaraunt in Memphis. It has absolutely no atmosphere or ambiance, but the food is out-of-this world. Years ago, I asked a college buddy from Mexico "Where in Memphis would you go to eat food like what your mom cooks?" La Guadalupana was his answer. Fantastic food, very reasonable prices...although I think their secret got out a little bit, and it's more expensive than it used to be. THe only other Mexican place I'll eat is the Happy MExican on S. 2nd Street. IT's got great atmosphere, quite good food, and a fantastic top shelf margarita.

By the way, if anyone tells you the best place to get Mexican food is El Porton, sucker punch them, and never speak to them again. They obviously don't have a clue what good Mexican is. The staple of El Porton is white cheese and Alpo-grade ground beef.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:35 PM

376 posts, read 1,779,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascalFleischman View Post
The place on Summer is called La Guadalupana. It's just west of Mendenhall on the north side of the street. It is, BY FAR, the ONLY authentic Mexican restaraunt in Memphis. It has absolutely no atmosphere or ambiance, but the food is out-of-this world. Years ago, I asked a college buddy from Mexico "Where in Memphis would you go to eat food like what your mom cooks?" La Guadalupana was his answer. Fantastic food, very reasonable prices...although I think their secret got out a little bit, and it's more expensive than it used to be. THe only other Mexican place I'll eat is the Happy MExican on S. 2nd Street. IT's got great atmosphere, quite good food, and a fantastic top shelf margarita.

By the way, if anyone tells you the best place to get Mexican food is El Porton, sucker punch them, and never speak to them again. They obviously don't have a clue what good Mexican is. The staple of El Porton is white cheese and Alpo-grade ground beef.
You are right on all counts.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:47 PM

252 posts, read 709,961 times
Default Las Tortugas Deli Mexicana in Germantown

I went to this restaurant last Friday. OMG! It was delish! I'm going back with DH soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis