Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 06:35 AM

89 posts, read 316,456 times

Advertisements

I've been looking up videos of some of the areas Im looking to move to, to get a sense of what the areas are like... from news stories to tourists to citizens.

I also decided to search "Memphis" and found some of these gems...

WARNING. Some videos may contain offensive language. (And Im not talking about the poor grammar.)

The pervasive ghetto culture

YouTube - The State of Memphis

YouTube - Crackhead in Memphis

YouTube - Hood 2 hood memphis

YouTube - Hispanics in Memphis, Tennessee - BBC Exposé

YouTube - Tour Of North Memphis

YouTube - South Memphis Ghetto

YouTube - Part 2 South Memphis Ghetto

YouTube - Continuation of Part 2 South Memphis Ghetto

YouTube - Part 3 South Memphis Ghetto

From local media

YouTube - Eyewitness News Everywhere 2006

YouTube - Batwoman

YouTube - Armed Citizen - Memphis, Tennessee

YouTube - Butter Roll and Corn Roll - Wanted Dead or Alive

Our high schools

YouTube - Mac E at Northside High

YouTube - CODOVA GOING GHETTO

YouTube - DesLoc Piccalo @ B.T.W. High School

Our mayor, King Willie

YouTube - Memphis Mayor King Willie Herenton (SnappyGreetings.com)

Our Senator "I Feel Ya" Ophelia

YouTube - Senator Ford in the Gov Ops Subcommittee

Unfortunately no video of Edmund Ford's grandiose shenanigans could be found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 11:52 AM

190 posts, read 647,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck View Post
I've been looking up videos of some of the areas Im looking to move to, to get a sense of what the areas are like... from news stories to tourists to citizens.

I also decided to search "Memphis" and found some of these gems...

WARNING. Some videos may contain offensive language. (And Im not talking about the poor grammar.)

The pervasive ghetto culture

YouTube - The State of Memphis

YouTube - Crackhead in Memphis

YouTube - Hood 2 hood memphis

YouTube - Hispanics in Memphis, Tennessee - BBC Exposé

YouTube - Tour Of North Memphis

YouTube - South Memphis Ghetto

YouTube - Part 2 South Memphis Ghetto

YouTube - Continuation of Part 2 South Memphis Ghetto

YouTube - Part 3 South Memphis Ghetto

From local media

YouTube - Eyewitness News Everywhere 2006

YouTube - Batwoman

YouTube - Armed Citizen - Memphis, Tennessee

YouTube - Butter Roll and Corn Roll - Wanted Dead or Alive

Our high schools

YouTube - Mac E at Northside High

YouTube - CODOVA GOING GHETTO

YouTube - DesLoc Piccalo @ B.T.W. High School

Our mayor, King Willie

YouTube - Memphis Mayor King Willie Herenton (SnappyGreetings.com)

Our Senator "I Feel Ya" Ophelia

YouTube - Senator Ford in the Gov Ops Subcommittee

Unfortunately no video of Edmund Ford's grandiose shenanigans could be found.
But in all fairness, almost nobody posts good stuff anywhere, therefore the gloom and doomers dominate the press, and many posters here do the same thing. There are neysayers out there that can take a pot of gold and turn it to horse crap. Keep spouting crap, and it just keeps rolling on. The coin always has another side and the grass is really greener on the other side.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:26 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,334,421 times
What is the point of this post? Why is there such a mission lately to shove this stuff in citizens' faces? If the city is really as bad as people make it out to see, and we all know it as people say we do, then what do posts like this accomplish. Bashing the ex again.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:13 PM

The point is to let people know what they're getting into. You're not going to see the behavior of over half the city, when getting feedback from the minority upper-middle class white citizens talking about the random art gallery or a bbq restaurant.

Like it or not, the people in those videos ARE Memphis.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:22 PM

190 posts, read 647,962 times
Quote:
The point is to let people know what they're getting into. You're not going to see the behavior of over half the city, when getting feedback from the minority upper-middle class white citizens talking about the random art gallery or a bbq restaurant.

Like it or not, the people in those videos ARE Memphis.
But you are focusing on a small percentage of the population of Memphis and Shelby County. I think you are doing Memphis and Shelby County a dis-service by being so negative. Yes we have problems, and as a member of the MPD you face it every day, but if even if the MPD has this opinion and is as negative about it as you, then the city will never survive.

"Where there is no vision, the people will perish". Remember this quote when making the assumption that your negative posts are helping anyone.

"Hope springs eternal"

Old 03-09-2008, 02:40 PM

"small percentage"
hahahaha!

If it's a small percentage, who keeps putting fellow crooks in positions of power in this city over and over and over again?

"The definition of insanity, is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result"

chuck1229

nuff said.

I view this board as a place most utilized by people considering a move to an area. Not a pep squad for Herenton and his Boys. I would think the Commercial Appeal forums would be better for that.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:13 PM

62 posts, read 159,253 times
Moderator cut: cut text

Whether you want to admit it or not, the white, black, asian, and hispanic experiences are all different in Memphis. There is no one culture we all share. They're all quite different. That's what makes this "big city" so different from other real big cities.

Last edited by Beretta; 03-11-2008 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: edited text to fit within TOS :)

Old 03-09-2008, 04:17 PM

I'm here because I don't want someone who's never been to Memphis blindly walking into anything.

That is exactly my point. What good does sweeping it under the rug or hiding it from people do? I think some of the people getting so upset, is because they have family here or are in situations that won't allow them to leave, and they fear the "real" Memphis getting out would discourage any sane person from moving here.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:38 PM

62 posts, read 159,253 times
Quote:
I'm here because I don't want someone who's never been to Memphis blindly walking into anything.

That is exactly my point. What good does sweeping it under the rug or hiding it from people do? I think some of the people getting so upset, is because they have family here or are in situations that won't allow them to leave, and they fear the "real" Memphis getting out would discourage any sane person from moving here.
I think if you are afluent it's hard to see things from the other side. Most people in the inner city aren't thriving. They're either living check-to-check or in poverty.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:53 PM

True, but even if you are middle-class or upper-middle class, you aren't unaffected by this city's "culture", politics, and decisions of the city leaders. Their choices, and the effects are felt all over the region. You can't cut yourself off, try as people might, by moving further and further east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis