Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 08:34 AM

128 posts, read 462,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
That happens at every school, not just in Collierville. Every school I attended had students that were labeled "Nerds" and jeered just because they made good grades. You can't put hundreds/thousands of kids together and not expect some to be made fun of. There are labels for several different groups in school. I was part of the "apathetic, turn everything in a day late" group, and I wish I could go back and smack myself.

A student just needs to find the other students that they identify with, and they will be just fine. If your teen doesn't connect with other kids, maybe you should enroll them in some extracurricular activities that will force them to interact with others and learn social skills.
Totally agree with the part in bold. When I joined the track team in high school, it was nice to meet other people that were both athletes and did well scholastically. I was also in some clubs in high school. As a part of being in the clubs I expanded my social circle.

Doing well in school doesn't have to mean sacrificing extracurricular activities.

Besides, I think exposure to peer pressure in school can be a good thing. As they fight the peer pressure, their confidence will grow. You can't avoid peer pressure totally. They'll have to face it sometime. At least in middle school/high school you have parents to help the kids deal with it appropriately.

Last edited by rsgillmd; 01-20-2012 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: fixed grammar error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 08:55 PM

3 posts, read 15,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsgillmd View Post
I think exposure to peer pressure in school can be a good thing. As they fight the peer pressure, their confidence will grow. You can't avoid peer pressure totally. They'll have to face it sometime. At least in middle school/high school you have parents to help the kids deal with it appropriately.
Perhaps it can be good for some people, but I did not find peer pressure to do poorly in classes while I was in college, and I dont face peer pressure to do a bad job at work. Success was, and is, admired.

While for some people exposure to peer pressure might be a good thing, lots of kids cave to peer pressure, trying to fit in, rather than fight against it. Sometimes they do so without even realizing they are doing it. Children will gravitate towards people they identify with, whether said identification is nothing more than the fact that others pick on these people as well. Sometimes the children gravitate towards other kids in pain - like druggies or gangs. Children learn poor behavior from other children. This is one reason why I think our school systems fail our children.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:56 AM

1 posts, read 935 times
I am a certified teacher who has taught all grades and subjects for more than 10 years. This past year I decided to homeschool my daughter for many reasons- one mainly being that the school system could not meet her academic needs. I have a small homeschool group I tutor each day during the week. If you homeschool your child, or are thinking about homeschooling your child, please email me at [email]bawilsontutor@yahoo.com[/email]. I have special rates and times for my homeschoolers. The numbers are small (4 to 5 children in each session), and each child develops social skills in a very guiding and nurturing manner. The children I work love learning, are mannerly, and are meeting and exceeding academic standards as set forth by the standardized state criteria. My children are wonderful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis