Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 06:45 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,406,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
Why bring up the Chinese in describing erroneous math? Is there a reason that they should be associated with inaccurate calculations? I am unaware of that history (unlike "Chinese wall.")

And I don't think there should be anything inherently wrong with whites or any race being a part of the 14.9%. The percentage shouldn't be the problem, nor the minority qualification. It should be who is in leadership. Or this may be the product of the fact that no matter whether blacks or whites are in charge, I will always be in the minority, and it doesn't affect me one bit. I don't fear either one in leadership, and exercise my power to proactively problem solve all the problems I complain about.

The bottom line is there are avenues for progressive minded folks to unite and overcome the racial barrier. Like-minded, color-blinded people. Honestly, based on your posts, I'm not sure if you would feel welcome in one of those groups. I hope your posts are an irrational product of intense frustration and not an accurate insight into your thoughts. In other words, I hope I'm wrong, and if so, I apologize.

If there should be a takeover, it should be of the younger generation taking over, the ones involved in MPact, and Leadership Memphis. As long as their issues don't involve race, whatever issues remain should be perceived as relative progress.
Well, let me know when, until then, Memphis and every other city gets worst and worst as the percentage of blacks grow more and more, that is not a racist statement or a stereotype, that is fact.

By the way, the chinese math is an old saying, but I guess you assume it is a racist remark because it had an ethnic term in it. I would tell you where the term came from and how long it has been around but why bother.

Let me know when the world is a happy place and we are all holding hands and singing, until then, I will be looking out for myself and my family and living in an area that best suits them for their needs and safety.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:01 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,480,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundan View Post
"You are right Lundy there is a fine line between the two. I look at "progressive" as thinking outside the box. Alot of the blacks I work with that are well off are still stuck in a slave mentality. They think to be "black" there is a list of things you must do and have or a certain way to act. And if you don't you are trying to be "saltine" (thanks Escape) and are not "keeping it real". Crabs in a barrel- you get yours because I have mine. And you are right the true "progressive" blacks leave or are trying to leave. The reason I am leaving is because I do not want to "settle" just because I was born here. There is more to do and see. Traveling has taught me alot more is out there. Closing down parts of downtown when there is a concert or game is so back woods. I have been to some of the biggest cities in the US. Never were the main streets blocked for an event. You are losing money and the travelers have no way of getting around because they are not from here. I could go on and on but this city is silly and backwards and not "fast" enough for me."

Thanks for the response. I'm trying to get out because I don't want to raise children, when I have them, in Memphis. I just remember what I went through growing up because I wasn't raised in a traditional black home. No, my parents aren't a same-sex couple. But I wasn't raised in church nor do I eat pork. Imagine a kid trying to explain that to little black ghetto kids. "You must be a Muuuslem?!" or "OOOOOOO! You don't go to church?!?! You goin' to hell!" What really sucks is many of the adults here are still just as ignorant as they were as children. Nowadays, I just crush lesser beings with my rebuttals. I don't blame whites for any of the issues in the black communities here. It's a dysfunction I don't see changing at all. The ignorance is too strong. It's growing!! People in the hood are having way too many babies in poverty and squalor and raising them to be even more ignorant. What baffles me is how no one in the black community with influence will come forth as a morale authority and condemn this glorification of ignorance, ghetto-ism, and gangsterism. The mayor could do it but he's just as ghetto.

I don't eat pork either Oh how about this one...I wore pants as a child and still wear them. Well I was told by neighborhood kids I was not "saaaaaaved." I was brought up in the church Lundan and for that reason I don't go now. Now I am no atheist but I have a problem with having to show up at church every Sunday. I believe you can have a spiritual life without going to church. You are right. There is a glorification of the ignorance and a dumbing down of blacks by their own. Hell some of us are our own worst enemy. There is an "acceptance" of the ignorance. But the "man" is holding you back???

Old 05-20-2008, 11:04 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,959,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundan View Post
I hear most of what you're saying. But I know plenty of well-to-do African Americans here who aren't progressive at all. They are just as backwards as the blacks in the hood. I do agree that the black community here has plenty of internal issues. It's like going on a job interview wearing a sweat suit but you complain when you don't get the job. Sadly, you can't change this magnitude of generational ignorance. It's inbred in too many black communities here. Trust me all, I know how these people think. They lash out because of their insecurities. That's why they are so violent and belligerent. They hate anything "progressive". They accuse you of thinking you are better.

But back to your "progressive" statement. I rarely meet any "progressive" blacks in Memphis. Most of the ones I know have relocated. Driving an Infinity M or being a member at World Overcomers hardly makes you "progressive". Like I always tell people, you must start with the children. Adults have to change on their own. That's if they feel the need to. And it's hard to rehabilitate criminals when they've ruined all their opportunities. And we have a lot of young black male criminals in this city. It's a dysfunctional culture where this lifestyle is glorified. They don't have much else so they have to make themselves feel proud of something. And most of them have never been exposed to anything else.

From my experience living here for some 29 years, for a black male to succeed here you have to be agreeable, connected to some black Greek organization, or be a part of some mega-church. And frankly all three suck to me.
You hit the nail on the head. I have never experienced anything like this.

Unfortunately all that you described in the black community can be seen in the white community as well. Bellevue seems like a cult. Unless you go to one of the schools in Mississippi or Tennessee to establish your connections your out of the loop. Lets not talk about progressive thinking.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:54 PM

22 posts, read 84,959 times
Quote:
Why bring up the Chinese in describing erroneous math? Is there a reason that they should be associated with inaccurate calculations? I am unaware of that history (unlike "Chinese wall.")
No disrespect was intended in the slang statement: Chinese Math. According to the Urban (slang) Dictionary (Urban Dictionary: Chinese Math) the definition of Chinese Math is...something very hard or difficult.

Quote:
...exercise my power to proactively problem solve all the problems I complain about.
I agree with you on that one...I'm getting outta dodge (Memphis) in July to a more laid back population and lifestyle in Hot Springs AR. If you haven't visited the place you should seriously go see it - it's beautiful & people are extra nice with very little violent crime. Now if your preference in 'exercising my power' means you want to stay here - that's all good with me too, that's certainly within anyone's power. However, I got 2 kiddos that I absolutely do not want to end up settling here as adults because I believe that much of the youth in Memphis that will become adults when my kids do, are being raised by some pretty dysfunctional households that have a high probability of creating new super gangsta's. I certainly don't want that for my kids but if others do, then rock-n-roll! It's OK by me.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:11 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,480,303 times
I think that good parents who have decided to stay here want nothing but the best for their kids. Those parents will hopefully have resiliant kids who will strive for excellence and want nothing to do with gangsta wanna-bes. The key is picking a good school and good neighborhood for your kids to thrive. BTW there are gangstas everywhere (corporate America, burbs, etc). They just don't fit the sterotype

Old 05-24-2008, 01:19 PM

340 posts, read 1,314,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape Memphis View Post
I agree with you on that one...I'm getting outta dodge (Memphis) in July to a more laid back population and lifestyle in Hot Springs AR. If you haven't visited the place you should seriously go see it - it's beautiful & people are extra nice with very little violent crime.
Actually, Hot Springs is a pretty high crime area. Nothing like Memphis (at least for violent crime), but still a lot of crime for a small town. When you factor in non-violent crime, it actually rates out pretty close to Memphis in crime. Yikes! It is a pretty area, though.

Then again, I always say that only a Memphian would think Nashville is a great place to live. I guess I'll add Hot Springs to the list as well.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:11 PM

196 posts, read 692,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkinswife View Post
I think that good parents who have decided to stay here want nothing but the best for their kids. Those parents will hopefully have resiliant kids who will strive for excellence and want nothing to do with gangsta wanna-bes. The key is picking a good school and good neighborhood for your kids to thrive. BTW there are gangstas everywhere (corporate America, burbs, etc). They just don't fit the sterotype
Several years ago a there was a fellow who got a job at my sister's work place.

She says that he was intelligent, educated, nice looking, clean cut, polite, and personable. They were shocked when he turned out to be a recruiter for a major gang from California that was expanding into Memphis.

You can't tell by looking.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:13 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,337,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape Memphis View Post
No disrespect was intended in the slang statement: Chinese Math. According to the Urban (slang) Dictionary (Urban Dictionary: Chinese Math) the definition of Chinese Math is...something very hard or difficult.

I agree with you on that one...I'm getting outta dodge (Memphis) in July to a more laid back population and lifestyle in Hot Springs AR. If you haven't visited the place you should seriously go see it - it's beautiful & people are extra nice with very little violent crime. Now if your preference in 'exercising my power' means you want to stay here - that's all good with me too, that's certainly within anyone's power. However, I got 2 kiddos that I absolutely do not want to end up settling here as adults because I believe that much of the youth in Memphis that will become adults when my kids do, are being raised by some pretty dysfunctional households that have a high probability of creating new super gangsta's. I certainly don't want that for my kids but if others do, then rock-n-roll! It's OK by me.
And I'm sorry for inferring otherwise.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:52 PM

8 posts, read 18,828 times
Default Bad publicity about Memphis

Its not racism its ignorance and using the race card as an "excuse" not to take advantage and work hard like others to gain your place in society. Its a Gangsta mentality that has permeated througout all levels and races of the local younger community. Its thinking that being kewel is carrying a gun and solving anger and arguments with.. pull the triger first and don't even care about asking questions later.
I have lived in or near memphis all my life and I am not unhappy but I just wake up each morning to see how many people have shot each other or killed each other overnight.. and I know I can NEVER escape crime but I plan on moving way away from here when I retire. However if you focus on the news and crime then you can NEVER see the positives that the area have to offer. I think everyone needs to investigate for themselves. I just am careful and I don't go to areas I know are bad or even shop there, but I manage to never have had any problems so far. I just think the Memphis government is so corrupt and reverse racist.. its never going to change until the community wakes up and thinks for themselves and votes a new mayor in. But why would they do that when they get freebies? they have never thought for themselves and they won't do it in the future?

Old 07-07-2008, 09:03 PM

104 posts, read 364,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memixer View Post
and I know I can NEVER escape crime but I plan on moving way away from here when I retire. However if you focus on the news and crime then you can NEVER see the positives that the area have to offer. I think everyone needs to investigate for themselves. I just am careful and I don't go to areas I know are bad or even shop there, but I manage to never have had any problems so far.
Glad someone here has sense. Memphis doesn't have a race problem, it has an economics problem. Poor people = high crime (especially property crime), the two go hand in hand. Travel to any poor area of the country and you'll see the same patterns over and over. That you (using you in the general sense of the word) attach a race to the problem shows two things:

1. You haven't traveled enough
2. You have some serious social issues I won't begin to address.

I see the crime debated here, but in all honesty most of the murders happen between people that know each other or crimes of passion. Take that factor out and the numbers go way lower.

The sensationalism that is generated around crime is almost more damaging than the crime itself because it creates fear. If you haven't figured it out politicians love fear. Nothing gets votes like a good boogeyman.

Read these posts and you'll see constant references to "good" areas and "bad" areas. Well, hate to break it to you but there's no such thing. Areas change overnight, criminals have cars. What's good today may not be good tomorrow. The only constant is is that if you allow fear to dictate where and when you live then why bother unpacking? You'll just be moving in a year or two.

I was born and raised in one of the toughest areas of NYC, I don't run. This is my neighborhood (Hickory Hill) and I'm not leaving. If the criminals want it they'll have to fight for it because I REFUSE to let anyone run me off.

America was born on fighting spirit, and I can't speak for the rest of you but mine is still intact.

Ex-Pat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis