Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 06:25 PM

9,905 posts, read 14,247,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis2Indy View Post
Memphis has the best logistics location geographically, is the #1 low cost of living city in the US for major cities, no state income tax, a work force that is already trained in logistics, plenty of space to build more warehouses, and has a Mayor & other city professionals that are willing to do what it takes to get them in Memphis! They are a Strong Contender for Amazon!
These would all be huge positives to lure Amazon to Memphis. But I think Memphis has a very long shot chance at getting them--mainly due to lack of public transportation (subway, high speed rail).

My guesses for the top cities, if they picked today, would be DC, Boston or Atlanta....It would be such a massive game changer for any city to land it, and somehow I think Jeff Bezos and his board already know where it will go. This is probably mostly advertising/branding/excitement generation for the company, get cities to compete, and then they'll announce with much fanfare in the spring of '18 who gets it...

Would be incredible if Memphis, or a a city like Memphis, landed Amazon. Total economic game changer for that region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 08:55 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,856,078 times
Memphis ain't getting it so give it up

Old 10-17-2017, 10:45 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,480,340 times
Nashville's not getting it either.

It'll end up in one of the typical cities (Atlanta, Philly, Dallas, Boston)

Old 10-21-2017, 05:35 PM

91 posts, read 135,761 times
Except for St. Louis Miss.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:04 AM

91 posts, read 135,761 times
FYI - To all the people thinking Memphis isn't in the competition note that FedEx's largest customer is Amazon. FedEx is based out of Memphis which would give Amazon access to its' infrastructure. Memphis was ranked the lowest cost of living for a major city, and is a logistics powerhouse. That's all things that companies want, especially a company like Amazon. They will consider Memphis!

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/...dquarters.html

Old 11-19-2017, 08:20 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,480,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis2Indy View Post
FYI - To all the people thinking Memphis isn't in the competition note that FedEx's largest customer is Amazon. FedEx is based out of Memphis which would give Amazon access to its' infrastructure. Memphis was ranked the lowest cost of living for a major city, and is a logistics powerhouse. That's all things that companies want, especially a company like Amazon. They will consider Memphis!

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/...dquarters.html
Since these jobs would be IT and corporate, I’m not sure how much they’ll care about the local logistics infrastructure. They’re already building a distribution center here regardless of their HQ2 decision.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:59 AM

448 posts, read 867,169 times
So, Memphis is cut from contention for Amazon HQ2. I am sure that while many did not expect Memphis to win it all, one would have thought perhaps top 20? Especially since sister cities like Nashville, Raleigh and Indianapolis are finalists. I know Memphis has major public transportation problems, but so do those cities.

For the record, I think some of the cities on the final list are window dressing and do not stand a chance. Of course I could be wrong, but Los Angeles makes no sense given that their main HQ is already on the west coast. I also don't think Indianapolis, Raleigh, Miami, or Nashville will end up with it, either. But gotta keep up the interest and drama, right?

Would have been a nice small civic pride boost to Memphians to be finalist city

Old 01-18-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
So, Memphis is cut from contention for Amazon HQ2. I am sure that while many did not expect Memphis to win it all, one would have thought perhaps top 20? Especially since sister cities like Nashville, Raleigh and Indianapolis are finalists. I know Memphis has major public transportation problems, but so do those cities.

For the record, I think some of the cities on the final list are window dressing and do not stand a chance. Of course I could be wrong, but Los Angeles makes no sense given that their main HQ is already on the west coast. I also don't think Indianapolis, Raleigh, Miami, or Nashville will end up with it, either. But gotta keep up the interest and drama, right?

Would have been a nice small civic pride boost to Memphians to be finalist city
Yeah, I think the other cities' incentive packages were just too heavy-hitting for mid-sized cities like Memphis to compete. Would've been an incredible boost!

There's always the Apple location announcement now, that Memphis could go after. That would be huge!

Old 01-18-2018, 12:55 PM

448 posts, read 867,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Yeah, I think the other cities' incentive packages were just too heavy-hitting for mid-sized cities like Memphis to compete.
Well, Nashville, Columbus, OH, Indianapolis, Raleigh, NC are all mid-sized (about Memphis' size) and still in the running

Old 01-18-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
Well, Nashville, Columbus, OH, Indianapolis, Raleigh, NC are all mid-sized (about Memphis' size) and still in the running
Well, in terms of "city" population, yes, I agree, but in terms of metro area, those 4 metro areas are a lot larger (500k+ more each) than Memphis' metro, this puts them in a different bracket, I think.

*numbers are approximates for 2017*

Columbus:
2.15 million

Indianapolis:
2.1 million

Raleigh-Durham (research triangle area):
2.3 million

Nashville:
1.9 million

Memphis:
1.4 million

Memphis' growth has become pretty slow and somewhat stagnant the past 6 or 8 years, unfortunately, and has not kept up with the aforementioned cities and metro areas in terms of jobs and overall development.

I think Memphis has fallen behind somewhat, and these once "peer" cities are in a different bracket now.

Anyhow, I was rooting for Memphis to land this HQ2, but I just don't think the infrastructure or incentives were there when competing against other heavy hitters (there were 238 packages from US cities that applied I read), so the competition was pretty intense.

I hope the "boom" comes to Memphis next!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: