Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2018, 04:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,917 times

Advertisements

There's a possibility that my husband and I will be moving to Memphis. We're currently interested in downtown or midtown. We're in our 40's and don't have children. I have a several questions.

What are some nice apartments or condos? (Looking for 2 bed/2 bath $1500-2k range, preferably with covered parking)

What's the quality of life like downtown and/or midtown? Is it active or is it quiet in the evenings after business hours? Are there quality grocery stores or farmer's markets? Is it like a community or more touristy?

We've lived in an urban center before so I expect there might be panhandlers and such. If so, how bad is it?

Are there other areas in Memphis you would recommend? if so where and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 10:22 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,397,877 times
It differs a lot based on where exactly in Midtown or Downtown you are looking. A few blocks can make all the difference in the world. Entertainment districts (Beale, Cooper-Young, Overton Square) are frequently busy at night. Pretty quiet elsewhere. Your budget is really good for Memphis , so I think the next step is to ask if you prefer something historic or a newer unit. We have both. Also, do you prefer a truly urban/mostly concrete area or something leafier? Very little of Memphis is truly "urban" in a big city sense, but the core of Downtown is. Most of Midtown has an early 20th century, small yards and bungalows/four squares feel. Downtown is very lacking in grocery options. No large supermarket. There are good options in Midtown though. I suspect it may not be for you because you seem mostly into Downtown and Midtown, but I like living in East Memphis. It's more central to the overall metro and offers more stores and businesses. The feel is more preppy/country club.

Last edited by eastmemphisguy; 04-20-2018 at 10:50 AM..

Old 04-20-2018, 05:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,917 times
Thanks for that info. It’s very helpful. We’d like to live in a newer place. We’re open to a less urban area if it has more amenities. If we do relocate the job would be downtown. How long would a commute be from East Memphis to downtown?

Old 04-21-2018, 05:23 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,397,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo18 View Post
Thanks for that info. It’s very helpful. We’d like to live in a newer place. We’re open to a less urban area if it has more amenities. If we do relocate the job would be downtown. How long would a commute be from East Memphis to downtown?
It's less than 30 minutes from East Memphis to downtown. I'd recommend Arbors of Rivers Oaks, Madison Humphrey Center, or the Edge of Germantown, all in East Memphis. You could also very easily rent a whole house in your price range if that appeals to you.
As far as downtown goes, take a look at Harbortown aka Mud Island. Upscale, masterplanned community just across a small bridge from downtown. Wasn't developed at all until the 90s. Some properties are even newer than that. It gives you the best of both suburban life and proximity to downtown with killer river views. They do have a boutique grocery there, but downside, again, is distance to a large supermarket or Target or so on.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:10 PM

56 posts, read 83,866 times
I can't answer the question regarding the condo rentals but areas like Cooper Young in Midtown are pretty nice and have some restaurants to walk to.

But you always have to drive in Memphis. So you should look in East Memphis to and maybe also think about renting a house if you don't want to buy anything.

One thing I personally don't like about mid town is the air traffic. You will always have a lot of noise from the planes. That is not an issue in East Memphis.

The only Farmers market I know of is:
Cooper - Young Community Farmers Market
8-1pm on Saturdays right now at 1000 S. Cooper St
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: