Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2018, 08:27 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,051,945 times

Advertisements

https://matadornetwork.com/read/7-us...mpression=true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 12:43 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
I still say Memphis is a better weekend getaway for me than Nashville. It's a more interesting place. Living... I will say this, i had a rough time in Memphis but I dont see Nashville as a good fit either.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:31 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I will never understand the draw to Nashville. I guess if you are a big drinker. Other than that, why?

For what it's worth, the article is idiotic, though, since Dollywood is nowhere near Nashville.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:50 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I will never understand the draw to Nashville. I guess if you are a big drinker. Other than that, why?
Since you asked:
  • The Grammy award-winning symphony (13 Grammy awards) in a world-class symphony hall. (The Nashville Symphony has 83 full-time musicians and 170 annual concerts; the Memphis symphony has 36 full-time musicians and 30 annual concerts.)
  • The booming economy with over half the job growth in the entire state.
  • The top-tiered research university adjacent to downtown and the 2 dozen other colleges and universities in the metro.
  • The two medical colleges, including one of the nation's top ranked.
  • The multitude of concerts in some of the world's busiest music venues. Bridgestone Arena alone is the 12th busiest concert venue in the entire world, 4th busiest in the US. In 2017 it hosted 83 concerts and over 714,000 concert ticket sales. And then there's also Ryman Auditorium, Ascend Amphitheater, Municipal Auditorium, and of course all the concerts and recitals at the dozen or so music schools in the metro.
  • The host of innovative and celebrated restaurants in what Condé Nast described as "one of the most exciting food cities in the country."
  • The clean and attractive downtown with new high-rises popping up seemingly monthly.
  • The new and re-discovered in-town neighborhoods with their own commercial and increasingly walkable districts.
  • The amount of shopping, especially higher-end.
  • The beautiful rolling hills with scenic rivers and lakes right in the city.
  • The sheer amount of artistic creativity that permeates every corner of the city. Even a school bus driver has a Grammy award.
  • The plethora of college sports in the area (six NCAA programs) and the professional sports (NFL, NHL, AAA, MLS on the way).
I lived in Memphis for 8 wonderful years and loved almost every minute of it. I can totally get why some people prefer Memphis over Nashville, particularly if cost of housing is an issue. But to dismiss Nashville's popularity as merely for people who are big drinkers is simply not true (as if people don't also do a lot of drinking in Memphis). I don't drink; never have, never will. And I love Nashville and am thrilled to be back in Middle Tennessee.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 07-17-2018 at 09:08 PM..

Old 07-17-2018, 09:01 PM

I completely get your point, JMT. Nashville is a great city to live in. But the article is about visiting cities, not living in them. As a tourist city, I don't understand the draw.

That’s why we’re proclaiming these seven cities officially over for visitors, and propose seven even-better alternatives.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:12 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I completely get your point, JMT. Nashville is a great city to live in. But the article is about visiting cities, not living in them. As a tourist city, I don't understand the draw.

That’s why we’re proclaiming these seven cities officially over for visitors, and propose seven even-better alternatives.
Thanks. But I don't live in Nashville, either. I would much rather visit Nashville than Memphis. There's just a heck of a lot more to do in Nashville. Not that there's not a lot to do in Memphis, either. In fact, here are some things I love about Memphis:
  • The Zoo (Pandas!)
  • The Orpheum
  • The BBQ
  • The Green Line
  • The museums, particularly Brooks and Dixon
  • The great architecture downtown
But much of what I listed that I like about Nashville are things for visitors (concerts, sports, restaurants, shopping) and not just for residents.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 07-20-2018, 08:32 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Having moved out of NYC to between Nashville and Memphis, I don't find either city a draw as a tourist. I've had my fill of high end shopping (I hated it in NYC and Boston); high end dining is no better than some small places but without being rushed (time limit on tables) and you pay more; concerts, plays, symphonies - meh. And there's no way to get there by public transportation and driving is a mess.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:58 AM

50 posts, read 37,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Having moved out of NYC to between Nashville and Memphis, I don't find either city a draw as a tourist. I've had my fill of high end shopping (I hated it in NYC and Boston); high end dining is no better than some small places but without being rushed (time limit on tables) and you pay more; concerts, plays, symphonies - meh. And there's no way to get there by public transportation and driving is a mess.
Neither do I, but Nashville is blasting now...quite different than Memphis in too many ways to mention.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:54 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I hear that. But, you're definitely in the minority here, though. Nashville and Memphis are huge "tourist draw" cities, due to the music history and live music in general.

Nashville had 14.5 million tourists, while Memphis had 11.7 million tourists, in 2017.

Tourists will continue to flock to both cities, just as they do NYC and Boston. Best way to manage it is to stay away from all those cities if not a fan

Old 08-22-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I hear that. But, you're definitely in the minority here, though. Nashville and Memphis are huge "tourist draw" cities, due to the music history and live music in general.

Nashville had 14.5 million tourists, while Memphis had 11.7 million tourists, in 2017.

Tourists will continue to flock to both cities, just as they do NYC and Boston.
Best way to manage it is to stay away from all those cities if not a fan
And NYC had 62.8 million in 2017, Chicago had 55 million and Boston had 20.5M visitors. Nashville is a fun city that especially attracts young people, but it's not world class in my opinion. However, to each their own. Not a big deal, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: