Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2018, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,028 times

Advertisements

Hi All, we are in a jam and need some advice. We have twin girls who are in 5th grade this year, and we do not know how to choose between Collierville and Germantown. House hunting is geared around schools, we really want to make sure it’s the right fit. They both are smart, outgoing, no behavior issues, but have ADD and need teachers/environment that are understanding and supportive with accommodations. Most important would be positive reinforcement. We have to really support them in organizational skills, studying, and homework.

We have taken tours of Collierville Middle, West Collierville Middle (previously Schilling Farms Middle) and Houston Middle. Both Collierville Middle and Houston Middle seemed very warm and supportive. However, we found two homes we really love in the West Collierville area. Looking to see if anyone has a child in the same boat that can support West. Germantown is really charming and probably fits us well, but not sure I want a fixer upper, and we have seen everything remotely interesting. We want this to be a long term move, so really want to get it right. Any help is appreciated!

I should mention that we have been here long enough to realize that the schools are all very different, even at the elementary level. Very different philosophies on homework, expectations, parental involvement, etc. So, please don’t say we can’t go wrong. We are trying to drill down and make a very important decision for our kids future. So, we are looking for the insider info, not the test scores, etc.

Last edited by Momoftwins2008; 12-12-2018 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: Addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 09:53 PM

191 posts, read 303,916 times
You have been to all those schools, so you know way more about them than almost anyone, so I can’t and won’t comment.

On real estate, it is location, location, location. Germantown was developed first because it is closer in. Therefore the homes are older.

I will admit that I love a project. We own two properties in Memphis, both of which I have renovated, including gutting one kitchen down to the studs. I didn’t do the work, but planned and co-ordinated everything, including a total interior paint job, floors refinished, new doors and windows, etc.

Now I have exactly what I want, and we have added value to the home. In my opinion, you lose money buying new construction, because you pay a premium for “new” that disappears the day you move in.

Yes, it is uncomfortable living in a construction site, but you soon forget that. I would choose your school, then find an older home with good bones, and make it your perfect home.

Old 03-04-2019, 04:25 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,959,732 times
ANY school in Germantown or Collierville would be a fine choice. Choose a house first and attend that assigned school, not the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis