Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2008, 08:44 AM

19 posts, read 62,389 times

Advertisements

so, i'm leaving midtown after many years and moving to the u of m area. i'm a little nervous about the crime. is it any worse that living in cooper young really????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 09:02 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,401,622 times
Depends on what area you are moving from and moving to. As I'm sure you know, things change street by street.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:17 AM

i'm actually moving in between central and park, but east of highland...slightly. ihaven't spent a lot of time in that neighborhood. except for classes, and that was just coming and going. i am getting mixed responses from people about living there.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:23 AM

That still covers a big area. Right at Central is great. At Park it's bad. I'd say a generalization would be, anything south of the train tracks is bad now. And right east of Highland is pretty...college-y. Meaning tons of cheap, unkempt rentals filled with undergrads. That may be what you are looking for though.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:30 AM

sure, i think most people are looking for cheap, unkempt rental property. just kidding. i guess we will see. thanks for the input.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:33 AM

I didn't mean that in the wrong way; but there ARE a lot of undergrads and younger people who are looking for cheap rentals around UM, and who don't care about a property being renovated. I know when I was in college, I sure didn't care about the same details that I care about now.

I think the Cooper Young area has more of a family, residential vibe. Young professionals looking for a home. The UM area has a transient feel, people who rent and move out after a year. West of Highland is different, but east is probably almost all rental homes.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:56 AM

i've lived in cooper young for a while now, and i love it because of the community feel. i'm actually moving because i do need a cheap rental until i can buy next year or possibly move away. that's why i found your comment funny. everything in midtown rental wise is so expensive right now. i can't justify spending $1000 a month on a rental. so , i found a decent house for a really great price in the u of m area. i know, however, that the community isn't at all like cooper young or central gardens for that matter. and i will miss that. but, i'm going back to school in the fall and will be convenient.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:03 AM

Definitely be careful. I think there are a lot more crimes in that area, just because criminals know that, theoretically, students are a little more innocent and don't protect themselves, their cars, and their property as well as older people. I've had female friends that lived south of campus who were afraid to be alone at night and wouldn't walk to campus alone, and I've had male friends who weren't scared, but did have their homes and cars broken into. I think the fact that it's students, people don't watch out for their neighbors as they do in residential, home type neighborhoods. When I was in rentals, I never paid attention to who was coming and going next door, but now that I own a home, I'm always on the look out for odd activity in my neighborhood. Just something to keep in mind when you move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis