Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 02:03 PM

196 posts, read 689,862 times

Advertisements

There are several posts in this thread that make very little sense.

First there is a post which describes being new to the city and having difficult learning the way around.

Okay.
That is understandable.

Then it says that although "the police is so absent" the poster has seen numerous police cars that need washing driven by smoking police officers eating hamburgers.

Hunh?

I have lived here forever and I do see police on the streets and I have never noticed any smoking or drinking or eating while driving.

And then I read this:
"Around this time of year, all the Memphians who recieved a tax refund went out and bought a car that they can't afford."

I consider myself a Memphian, and I didn't get my tax refund yet to buy a car that I can't afford.
So I guess that it wasn't quite "all the Memphians".

And this:
"these people can't drive for sure"

Who exactly are "these people"?

And this:
"The state and local governement is so poorly ran, they don't have the funds to get the manpower to enforce traffic laws nor does the average Memphian want them to."

This is based on what?
Which "average Memphian" is this?

I may be reading too much between the lines here, but some of these comments seem based negative racial stereotypes...

... and some were posted by folks who seem to have a bit of trouble with grammar and spelling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 07:14 AM

2 posts, read 4,808 times
yes my post wouldnt pass perfect grammer =) but here again im a product of the memphis city school system. lol ( joke!)grammer is not my best subject, and im not very good typing on this dang laptop! i had a good laugh at my many typos. I hope i didnt offend anyone with my post, yall have a good day=)

Old 04-21-2008, 07:05 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,328,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by federalbureau94 View Post
hey swede

you're not imagining anything ! you ought to see the Memphis cops just hanging out on Sat and Sun over at the International Paper parking deck below.....at least two cars, usually two black female officers....just wasting time there on private property....I see it all the time on weekends....

and the observation about temp tags is spot on as well
and these people can't drive for sure...the worst I've EVER been around..EVER !
Try living in St. Louis . . .

Old 04-27-2008, 11:10 AM

5 posts, read 12,616 times
They don't necessarily get fined for not having insurance, both my son and I were hit by drivers with no insurance and no license. Neither were fined for not having insurance. We were told it would simply cost them more when they do get insurance. Like that's really going to happen considering they were already driving without insurance or a license!

Old 04-29-2008, 08:14 AM

7,102 posts, read 8,874,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
Try living in St. Louis . . .
LOL. My experience living in St. Louis was totally different. I never saw nearly as many accidence on a clear day just running errands as I've seen in Memphis. When it rains yes St. Louisians have problems but it still isn't what it is here. Not to mention my insurance rates jumped 30% when I moved here.

If your talking about cops just sitting around doing nothing. That definately isn't the case. I saw cops all the time giving out tickets. We won't even start on the traffic cameras and running redlight.

This goes to show that people can have totally different experiences in different places.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:45 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,328,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
LOL. My experience living in St. Louis was totally different. I never saw nearly as many accidence on a clear day just running errands as I've seen in Memphis. When it rains yes St. Louisians have problems but it still isn't what it is here. Not to mention my insurance rates jumped 30% when I moved here.

If your talking about cops just sitting around doing nothing. That definately isn't the case. I saw cops all the time giving out tickets. We won't even start on the traffic cameras and running redlight.

This goes to show that people can have totally different experiences in different places.
I'm talking about people running red lights way after they turn red, and folks making left hand turns immediately when the light turns green, and not yielding to people driving straight. St. Louisans don't know the meaning of the term "yield." lol. I've lived there for 7 of 8 years from 94-2002. Awful drivers, hehehe.

And I think you mean people can have different experiences in the same place. And I agree.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:17 AM

89 posts, read 316,326 times
Glad Im not the only one that notices the "30 Day Temp Tag" epidemic. When you've been out of town you know your getting close to Shelby County when you stop seeing license plates and just pieces of paper in the windows.

Its really out of control And yes they are photocopied and traded around like candy. Shady people working at used car lots, etc. They are supposed to be issued by dealers only and only valid for 30 days. But it doesnt take long to realize there is no way in hell that many people in a city are buying cars every 30 days. Especially when the car is old and dirty ... yeah, that probably didnt just roll off the lot.

And you're absolutely spot-on. Its the culture of apathy, do whatever you want around here.

Don't get me started on people who just walk around in the middle of busy four lane roads. Driving on Poplar from Downtown to about Cleveland/Watson is a game of dodge the Memphian.

And yes police drive by it everyday and do nothing. Everything is accepted here, except murder.. we'll lock you up for at least a year or two for that.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:21 AM

82 posts, read 277,809 times
Memphis cops either don't care, or care over stupid things. I once got a ticket on Summer ave. for having my headlights off after 5:00 because "You're suppose to have your headlights on from dusk til dawn". Mind you it was last summer when the sun didn't go down until 8:00.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:03 AM

597 posts, read 2,100,785 times
I'm in Nashville and usually just read this thread out of curiosity. As one who remembers the Memphis of yesterday as a very nice, very clean, beautiful city (it's still hiding there somewhere) with really nice people, I get distressed that it might have become what's talked about here.

A few weeks ago, two men from Shelby County drove up here and tried to rob a liquor and wine store in my neighborhood. One of our locals who possessed a concealed weapon permit blew one of the away, so there's one less for you to worry about. The other, I'm sure, is back at home.

Yesterday, two young black men were in the market I frequent on the way to work. Old car, beat up, baggy clothes, weird hair, gold teeth...we see it,but not so much. He proceeded to throw some change on the counter and mumbled, "pump 2." I'm sure he wasn't going to get too far on $1.81 in gas. I was going to give them some money to get more gas, but decided against giving them the freedom to move around much. When I got in my car, I noticed the Shelby County tags. There's not much point to this, just an observation which works to seal an unfortunate stereotype. I'm sorry you guys have to deal with so much.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:37 PM

39 posts, read 119,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Pulaski Player View Post
Around this time of year, all the Memphians who recieved a tax refund went out and bought a car that they can't afford. You probably also see a lot of cars with 26" chrome rims, tvs, and "limbo doors" but still have temporary tags...that's Memphis for you...

HAHA..man, i didn't even think about that. Sure is true. GhettoRich man!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis