Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2019, 08:44 PM

523 posts, read 495,146 times

Advertisements

0-2 in the year

Arizona 20-18 Memphis

Looked like 5 or 10k at the Liberty Bowl tonight, what's going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 04:09 PM

10,073 posts, read 14,458,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGarcia879 View Post
0-2 in the year

Arizona 20-18 Memphis

I didn't see that game, but I did see bits of one with Birmingham's team.

Kind of a fascinating league and it is interesting. Not sure how successful it will be though. Time will tell. That sounds like a super light turnout though.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:41 PM

Memphis lose on the road to Orlando 21-17.

Old 03-03-2019, 04:48 PM

506 posts, read 1,476,366 times
I went yesterday and the Memphis Express won in a pretty amazing game. Unfortunately, the turn-out was quite weak. The weather was less than ideal. High 30s to low 40s, overcast and windy. It's kind of fun to have something else to do on a Saturday, but I am not exactly going to be ordering season tickets anytime soon.

I would think they would try to make the league more exciting with more scoring like they do with arena football, but they really don't. I will go again if nothing else is going on and I can get free or cheap tickets.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:02 PM

First OT game in League history

Express win 31-25 over Birmingham at the Liberty Bowl

Old 03-30-2019, 01:24 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,959,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGarcia879 View Post
0-2 in the year

Arizona 20-18 Memphis

Personally, I don't see the appeal in attending Memphis Express games when we have Memphis Tigers games, and we are starting a new professional soccer team around the same time. Maybe it will grow in popularity as the years go by and people hear the name more. The only thing I know about the Memphis Express is that Johnny Manziel plays for them.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:41 AM

506 posts, read 1,476,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Personally, I don't see the appeal in attending Memphis Express games when we have Memphis Tigers games, and we are starting a new professional soccer team around the same time. Maybe it will grow in popularity as the years go by and people hear the name more. The only thing I know about the Memphis Express is that Johnny Manziel plays for them.
And a lot of people don't go to the Memphis Tiger football games to begin with.

I don't see them making it, but hope I am wrong. Hopefully the TV revenue makes up for the lack of ticket sales.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:13 AM

89 posts, read 95,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I think as a whole, Memphis is tired of being used by leagues, getting their hopes up that a league will actually last, and just don't want to get invested into another team/league because of it.

The WFL lasted two seasons. Memphis had a team in the USFL for two seasons. The XFL lasted only one season, and there's been rumors for over a week now that the AAF was going to cease operations as soon this week. They also had financial problems as quickly as the 2nd week of the season.

The Orlando Apollos have been unsuccessful at getting workers comp insurance in the State of Florida, the team is staying in Jacksonville, practicing in Georgia, and busing to their games in Orlando. The AAF has been so cheesy that Orlando no longer has a radio partner because the AAF didn't pay their bill.

I think the fan support has been pretty lousy overall (outside of San Antonio, Orlando, and San Diego) mostly because they really didn't actually think this through, rushed into it so that they could beat Vince McMahon and the new XFL, and didn't do the best that they could have done.

Getting a new investor with an obvious agenda didn't help matters.

I don't blame Memphis for not getting behind this team, I think most Memphians are going to want to see it last a couple seasons before they get on board.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:27 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,959,732 times
"AAF, Which Includes Memphis Express, Suspending Operations"

https://www.localmemphis.com/news/lo...ons/1894849399

That didn't take long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: