Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,193 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Memphis in June. We have a 6 year old that will be going into 1st grade and a 4 year old in preschool. I have been doing a lot of research on the towns and school districts. A great school district is top priority. I know Germantown is supposed to be pretty good, but after looking at houses we can get more for our money in Collierville or Arlington. What makes Germantown so great and are these other towns comparable? What is Arlington and Colliervilles schools like? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 04:27 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,343,387 times
Without question Collierville. Germantown is more expensive only because that's where the wealthiest residents live. Most of their children to go private schools

Arlington or Lakeland would be choice 2 & 3

Old 03-22-2019, 09:08 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,944,039 times
Where is your work? If it's on the south side of the city I would recommend Desoto County schools.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:52 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,476,379 times
Collierville is a better option than DeSoto County. If you work in Tennessee, you’re better off living in Tennessee.

Old 04-09-2019, 01:06 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,944,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
Collierville is a better option than DeSoto County. If you work in Tennessee, you’re better off living in Tennessee.
I would argue against this. Schools and quality of life are very high in Desoto County, and overall cost of living is less in MS, even with the state tax. You have to consider everything.

Desoto County is the best of both worlds. You get the benefits of Memphis and the lower cost-of-living of MS. Highly recommend this area. It's one of the fastest growing counties in the country for a reason.

Collierville is very good too. I've lived there, albeit in 2002.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:37 AM

506 posts, read 1,463,435 times
Collierville is close to or equal to Germantown schools. There is not really going to be a noticeable difference. Arlington is pretty good, but behind those two. Arlington is a smaller & more rural.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:26 PM

573 posts, read 579,944 times
Is Cordova similar to Collierville or totally different? It seems with a max budget of 200k it is the only safe neighborhood in Memphis I can afford, maybe I am wrong.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:58 AM

191 posts, read 299,337 times
Big difference is the schools: Collierville has municipal schools and Cordova has Memphis city schools (SCS). There are some very nice areas in Cordova and it is conveniently located. It went through a housing slump due to changes in the county school system, but real estate has recovered nicely.

Have you looked at Arlington? They also have good municipal schools, although it’s further out. All the school testing results are available on line. Germantown and Collierville have the best schools in Tennessee.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:31 AM

672 posts, read 688,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
Is Cordova similar to Collierville or totally different? It seems with a max budget of 200k it is the only safe neighborhood in Memphis I can afford, maybe I am wrong.

You have Bartlett, the lower half of Lakeland, Arlington as mentioned, and the different municipalities of Desoto county on the Mississippi side also. Cordova is one of the best bang for the buck areas in the city that is relatively safe, has amenities, and a nice housing stock but without huge price tag, if your main concern is not schools. The market is red hot though, in Cordova, and most of the housing that is listed is on the market less than month and likely going over asking price. Housing prices in Cordova, are up 12% compared to last year.

Old 04-13-2019, 12:20 PM

573 posts, read 579,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1538 View Post
You have Bartlett, the lower half of Lakeland, Arlington as mentioned, and the different municipalities of Desoto county on the Mississippi side also. Cordova is one of the best bang for the buck areas in the city that is relatively safe, has amenities, and a nice housing stock but without huge price tag, if your main concern is not schools. The market is red hot though, in Cordova, and most of the housing that is listed is on the market less than month and likely going over asking price. Housing prices in Cordova, are up 12% compared to last year.
We would likely be wanting to buy next summer assuming I get an offer after I graduate in December. Do you think it will rise another 12% before then? The same thing is happening in the area I live now as well so I understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis