Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 08:43 AM

18 posts, read 121,378 times

Advertisements

I was recently in Memphis touring schools in Germantown and Collierville for a week and I like Bailey Station from what I saw. It rates well academically and is diverse. The staff seems to care for the students, and it is a new school. The school environment and neighborhood area also seem safe where my daughter could go out and play and I wouldn't have to be so concerned with her well being. I toured Crosswinds with the principal and was not as impressed although the academics are good. I was alittle intimidated by their drive for academics and lack of diversity. I don't need a place that pushes all day because I will push for learning and academics at home and make sure my daughter knows what she has to. Farmington looked okay but the academic environment seemed maybe alittle too relaxed in some classes. One first grade teacher didn't give any homework all year long. Dogwood seemed too extreme and severe an environment. The teachers didn't smile and some look mean. Does anyone go to Bailey Station or even any of the other schools? I like B.S. but would still consider opinions about other schools. Trying to find that perfect balance but of course depends on the child. For my girl the B.S. seems like a welcoming place academically and socially but that was just from the tour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 09:36 AM

190 posts, read 649,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkim View Post
I was recently in Memphis touring schools in Germantown and Collierville for a week and I like Bailey Station from what I saw. It rates well academically and is diverse. The staff seems to care for the students, and it is a new school. The school environment and neighborhood area also seem safe where my daughter could go out and play and I wouldn't have to be so concerned with her well being. I toured Crosswinds with the principal and was not as impressed although the academics are good. I was alittle intimidated by their drive for academics and lack of diversity. I don't need a place that pushes all day because I will push for learning and academics at home and make sure my daughter knows what she has to. Farmington looked okay but the academic environment seemed maybe alittle too relaxed in some classes. One first grade teacher didn't give any homework all year long. Dogwood seemed too extreme and severe an environment. The teachers didn't smile and some look mean. Does anyone go to Bailey Station or even any of the other schools? I like B.S. but would still consider opinions about other schools. Trying to find that perfect balance but of course depends on the child. For my girl the B.S. seems like a welcoming place academically and socially but that was just from the tour.
Bailey Station is the newest school in Collierville. I know people that have kids there and they all like the school. Crosswinds is good as well and the staff there is pretty much as it was when my son went there 10 years ago. The diversity issue at that school will never change, just to the housing developments that are feeding that school. I am surprised that you saw a diversity difference between Crosswinds and Bailey Station.

Dogwood and Farmington are in Germantown and I cannot comment too much on them but the entire area of Germantown is a bit more rule based than Collierville.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:54 AM

11 posts, read 48,298 times
Default Collierville Schools

Hello,
I have had children at Farmington, Tara Oaks, Collierville Elem., Collierville Middle, Schilling Farms Middle and Collierville High School. They are all very good schools. I loved Farmington and Tara Oaks, but all have been great. My oldest is in the 11th grade and has made all A's, received a 32 on her ACT, and is ranked in the top 1-2 percent. The schools have an anti bullying policy and none of my 3 girls have ever had any problems. My youngest is special needs and the schools have been able to give her what she needs. My children get upset when they miss school due to illness or whatever. I think the schools do a good job of preparing them. The high school has lots of AP classes offered. I love Collierville, the walking trails, parks etc. The only thing is Collierville High School has had a better reputation than Houston High School. So if your child goes to Bailey and you don't move your child will more than likely end up at Houston. A new school in the county was just finished and they are transitioning kids out of Houston so it may change down the road. I have known students at Houston and there were a lot of rich kids mixed with "gang" type kids which = money for drugs. Maybe someone else can address this. Good Luck!

Old 05-07-2008, 10:46 AM

738 posts, read 2,575,061 times
I'm curious where you find out academic data, because I can't seem to find any. I have heard good things about ALL the elementary schools around here, my son goes to Crosswind Elementary and we love it. Bailey Station is newer, and I've talked to parents who are very happy there. There is a lot of parental involvement in Collierville.

I have a child at Schilling, and my experience has not been as good as pinklynn there, the administration has not been responsive to us when we've tried to get them to challenge our child more academically.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:53 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
It might take some searching, but stats for all TN schools are available online. I think through the tn.gov site somehow. I have looked up data on schools in the area before.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:04 PM

774 posts, read 2,581,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considering-amovetomephis View Post
I'm curious where you find out academic data, because I can't seem to find any. I have heard good things about ALL the elementary schools around here, my son goes to Crosswind Elementary and we love it. Bailey Station is newer, and I've talked to parents who are very happy there. There is a lot of parental involvement in Collierville.

I have a child at Schilling, and my experience has not been as good as pinklynn there, the administration has not been responsive to us when we've tried to get them to challenge our child more academically.

Here you go: https://edu.warehouse.state.tn.us/pl...0066628132::NO

You have the option to choose a school on a drop-down list. Value added tends to give the best overall view of the school as it measures the increase in learning/knowledge from year to year. It's Tennessee's preferred benchmark for school assessment over NCLB scores.

As the parent of a gifted child, I can tell you that you'll need to be in a school with a dedicated gifted program to have a desire for more challenging academics even recognized. Otherwise, the trend (particularly in public education) is to teach to the middle.

Gifted education in the middle schools in the Shelby County School system is recognized as lacking (and apparently, they are trying to address that, but it doesn't help you now, I know!)

Shelby County beefs up programs for gifted middle school students : Local News : Commercial Appeal

My experience is that until you speak to an administrator that really "gets it", they'll assume that asking for more challenging work is just a parent's way of bragging about their kid being smart.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:44 PM

Tigergal- Since you mentioned your child is gifted, was she classified after the TCAP in 3rd grade? What intelligence test was used if any? Do you know anything about the application process to the White Station program? My daughter is only elementary and I hear its competitive to get in, and how many are accepted each year? My daughter took the Reynolds Intelligence Assessment Test this year and was accepted in the gifted program here in FL but of course that doesn't necessarily mean she would also be accepted in TN with different standards.

Consideringamovetomemphis- I look at greatschools.net just to have an idea about the academic scores on the TCAP, etc. But I also read that on the TCAP a student only has to answer 1/3 correct overall to have a proficient score.

If anyone else knows about the White Station program at the elementary level I would be glad to hear it. I'm sure many of us know, but the trend is that TN ranks "significantly lower" in Math and Reading scores than much of the nation, according to the Nation's Reportcard. MA consistently ranks the highest. What are they doing there? Anyhow, thinking about this makes me feel more anxious and concerned about what school we choose, even at the elementary level since those scores were lower too.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:04 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
Trying to choose between a Collierville elementary and White Station seems like a no-brainer. The White Station optional program may be good, but the school itself is on the state's "deficient" list I believe. Besides, they are in different school systems (Memphis City vs Shelby Co).

I was going through some of those online reports...some Memphis high schools have a 30-40% graduation rate. I think you'll be okay with anything you choose in Collierville

Seriously though, if you are very concerned, maybe look for private school options. While you definitely want your child to be in a good program, you must also consider safety in schools as a whole too. I mean, Snowden is an optional program too, but I wouldn't choose to live nearby over Collierville just for that.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:12 PM

774 posts, read 2,581,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkim View Post
Tigergal- Since you mentioned your child is gifted, was she classified after the TCAP in 3rd grade? What intelligence test was used if any? Do you know anything about the application process to the White Station program? My daughter is only elementary and I hear its competitive to get in, and how many are accepted each year? My daughter took the Reynolds Intelligence Assessment Test this year and was accepted in the gifted program here in FL but of course that doesn't necessarily mean she would also be accepted in TN with different standards.

Consideringamovetomemphis- I look at greatschools.net just to have an idea about the academic scores on the TCAP, etc. But I also read that on the TCAP a student only has to answer 1/3 correct overall to have a proficient score.

If anyone else knows about the White Station program at the elementary level I would be glad to hear it. I'm sure many of us know, but the trend is that TN ranks "significantly lower" in Math and Reading scores than much of the nation, according to the Nation's Reportcard. MA consistently ranks the highest. What are they doing there? Anyhow, thinking about this makes me feel more anxious and concerned about what school we choose, even at the elementary level since those scores were lower too.
My child isn't in the public school system, so the assessment approach would differ, I imagine. They used the Otis-Lennon School Abilities Test, a portfolio of her work, interviews, and creativity assessment instruments.

White Station Elementary does not house an optional school like White Station High School does. One would need to be in the W.S. district to attend, but every city school either has a C.L.U.E. program (Creative Learning in a Unique Environment - which is the MCS version of a gifted program) or there is one in their vicinity which can serve them, according to MCS. Here's their website for C.L.U.E. CLUE | About Gifted Children

The County School equivalent is APEX. (Academic Program for the Exceptional).

I'm sorry I thought your child was in middle school. The information I had available showed Schilling to be a middle school.

Here's a link to the Memphis Optional Schools (significant hoops must be jumped to get into these schools): Types of Optional Schools

Old 05-07-2008, 07:40 PM

Default Oh,... okay!

Pearlbob- I didn't even think there may be that discrepancy btwn Shelby Co and the option programs in Memphis. I guess because it sounds so competitive to get into. So I do feel somewhat better about Bailey Station but the school year will tell us more of course. If I have to I'll go private but don't want to as a first choice.

Tigergal- Thanx for the links to the info. Its definitely good to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis