Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2008, 05:05 PM

56 posts, read 218,918 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving at the end of May and just put in an offer on a place and are closing on May 9th. We are so excited, it is in the South Bluffs area, City House to be exact. Does anyone on this board live in that area and how safe is it to walk dogs and hop on the trolley and all of that good stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 05:18 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,481,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceman View Post
My wife and I are moving at the end of May and just put in an offer on a place and are closing on May 9th. We are so excited, it is in the South Bluffs area, City House to be exact. Does anyone on this board live in that area and how safe is it to walk dogs and hop on the trolley and all of that good stuff!

*cringe* I am so damn jealous ...j/k actually I am VERY jealous of you. I lived in the downtown center at the ballpark for a year...very close to everything, trolley. You will be at the south end. You will only be a SHORT walk from the trolley actually the trolley will pass your place just go outside. As far as dogs there are not many greens spaces but you could walk over to Riverside Drive to walk your dog if you prefer or turn the corner past Carolina or Georgia might be some greens spaces over there. Congrats and enjoy downtown Memphis....

Old 04-12-2008, 05:39 PM

Yes, it is going to be a HUGE change for us. My wife is a LA girl and I have lived in a lot of different places but in Pasadena (LA) for the last five years. We are in our mid 30's and wanted to be close to the "action". We can't wait (well I can't)! Yes, the trolley stops right in front of our place. Hope it winds up being a good move.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:05 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
You can easily walk to the Riverside park (Tom Lee Park) from your place. Keep in mind though, Riverside Dr and Tom Lee Park is completely blocked off and closed the entire month of May, for Memphis in May. It's a crazy time in the South Main area.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:38 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,315,500 times
Congrats on your purchase!

Old 04-14-2008, 08:33 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
While South Main is a bit further away from the heart of downtown, it has it's own vibe and residential feel. There are several new restaurants in the area, and a couple bars. Some unique shopping too, mainly high end. And, of course all the art galleries.

Also, Cityhouse is directly across from the Memphis Farmer's Market, which is every Saturday morning, starting this coming weekend and running through October. The market has vendors with flowers, gift baskets, fruits, veggies, meats, etc. Very nice place to go to shop for some good deals. Just beware that it will be pretty crowded directly in front of your building early Saturday mornings for most of the year. No dogs allowed at the market, but when they aren't set up you can walk your dog over there of course

Old 04-14-2008, 09:00 AM

19 posts, read 59,588 times
Congrats Juiceman~

Just out of curiosity, what floor or floorplan did you choose @ City House? I'm very familiar with those units, as I've been shopping for a condo as well. I know the builder personally and I'm sure you made a good choice. Aside from the trolley, you're also wedged in between a dry cleaner and a hair salon. Very convenient =)

Good location too - right @ the gates of South Bluffs. Those new developments south of City House... I personally wouldn't buy over there... seems overbuilt, there's train noise, isolation, and frankly, uncertainty as to what's going to happen around there.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:20 AM

Crazy Mary,

We are very new to the area, well haven't moved there yet. But, we were really not willing to move much further south. It seemed really quite "shady" if that makes sense. Your views are of empty lots and that is it, kind of depressing if you ask me. We purchased the intowner I believe, 3 beds, 2.5 baths. If you don't mind me asking why have you not purchased there if you know the builder so well and trust his/her work? Just curious (I hope I didn't overstep my bounds on that question).

Old 04-14-2008, 11:24 AM

juiceman-

I just posted a thread about my foray into downtown condo hunting.

I haven't bought there simply because I'm concerned about being a bit isolated. It's as far south as I'd ever consider. I think those places on TN, GA streets etc are dicey. Too much unsold, and like you said - questionable dirt lots/views. Still too industrial.

Some of those builders over there are also in financial trouble.

Like I said in my other thread, If i weren't single, I'd buy @ City House. I'm a 30 year-old male, don't know many people here, and am just wondering if i can get a wee bit closer to the nightlife

You've got the trolley @ your doorstep. The construction/quality is very good. Price is great and HOA is comparatively low for downtown. You made a good buy.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:35 AM

also juiceman,

Last i visited these (and ive been a couple times) there were only 2 In-towners left - the same ones I was looking at.

I was looking at the lesser expensive one because I liked the feel - it was slightly more inside the building, and thus had less natural light. It was 2nd floor i believe. It was also $20k less

I have a feeling you may have bought the place i was looking at =p Oh wells!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis