Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 09:21 AM

47 posts, read 42,791 times

Advertisements

Good morning!

I have recently lost a job and have fortunately had an interview with Regional One that went really well. If I get an offer I'm trying to decide if I will take it or not. While I love the idea of moving to TN, we really wanted to move to eastern TN closer to the mountains.

The positives are that it is full time and a job title that I've been trying to get for a long time. I felt that it would be a really good fit.

The negatives are -

1) Memphis has a reputation as being one of the most dangerous / crime affected cities.

2) Our son is 6 yrs old and just starting kindergarten at a school we really love. We've read that Memphis schools arent the best either.

3) Our family lives in Chicago area so we would be without any family or friends (at least until we make some new friends).

Knowing nothing about Memphis or the surrounding area, is it possible to live in a safe suburb area and commute? Are the schools / areas of Collier and Germantown quality and safe?

Any help one way or the other is appreciated.

I grew up on south side of Chicago and so I know what areas are safe and which ones arent as well as what to be on the lookout for in those areas if need be.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 10:41 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
As you indicated crime is limited to certain neighborhoods but from time to time it spills over to neighboring communities.

There are safe neighborhoods and towns and school districts - you mentioned two - Collierville and Germantown are good (they are separate communities and not part of Memphis proper). Also to consider is Olive Branch in MS.

The good thing is that traffic in Memphis is not really that bad from a commuting standpoint (those that have never lived in other cities may disagree, but I used to live in Atlanta. Traffic is nothing here.....).

Old 07-26-2019, 01:13 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,490,760 times
There's no reason to go to Mississippi. You'll end up paying income tax if you do that.

Collierville and Germantown are good options, as is Bartlett, which is a bit more affordable. A bit farther out is Lakeland and beyond that is Arlington. All of the suburban towns have their own school districts.

If private school is an option, you could look at parts of East Memphis or Mud Island.

Old 07-26-2019, 04:30 PM

573 posts, read 585,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
As you indicated crime is limited to certain neighborhoods but from time to time it spills over to neighboring communities.

There are safe neighborhoods and towns and school districts - you mentioned two - Collierville and Germantown are good (they are separate communities and not part of Memphis proper). Also to consider is Olive Branch in MS.

The good thing is that traffic in Memphis is not really that bad from a commuting standpoint (those that have never lived in other cities may disagree, but I used to live in Atlanta. Traffic is nothing here.....).
This is all relative...and there are unique features I've noticed in my short time here. Namely getting stuck waiting on a train is fun LOL. And the roads suck in many areas, but overall you are right, it is quicker than other similarly or larger sized cities. Idk how much money this person will make, but they need to be rich for Germantown, and from what I hear, possibly Collierville as well. I was told parts of Cordova are ok, and Bartlett, and of course Mississippi, but the tax issue is a big turn-off to me personally.

Old 07-26-2019, 05:56 PM

47 posts, read 42,791 times
I’m a pharmacist and my wife is a nurse so income wise not too bad. Not rich by any stretch of the imagination but middle class if it weren’t for my student loan debt.

Old 07-27-2019, 03:54 PM

4 posts, read 8,695 times
September 2018, Phil Trenary, the president of the Memphis Chamber of Commerce was murdered in broad daylight downtown. It important to note he brought a lot o jobs and industries to Memphis and hired locally. Just consider he knew this city better than anyone--and yet. I would not live inside the city of Memphis. You get robbed you give these kids your wallet and they shoot you anyways. I am from Minneapolis (formerly murderapolis) but this is different in the last year teens murder and our courts let them right back out on the street. Cops hands are tied by juvy courts.

Last edited by JMT; 07-27-2019 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: Removed off topic comment.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,861 times
Me personally I would stay away from Memphis/Shelby County. Like said in previous posts, your better areas are Collierville, G'town, Bartlett. Not sure what you are looking for but Atoka, Munford and Brighton in Tipton County are good areas. There's two private schools nearby Tipton-Rosmark and Tipton Christian Academy, then you have Munford and Brighton public schools. Atoka, Munford and Brighton are small laid back towns. Your commute would be around 30 to 40 minutes to Memphis. Just another option.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:50 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,490,760 times
Tipton County would be quite the culture shock coming from suburban Chicago. It's very rural up there.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:33 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,983,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
There's no reason to go to Mississippi. You'll end up paying income tax if you do that.
Overall cost of living is better in Mississippi, despite the income tax. That is why Desoto County is one of the fastest growing counties in the country.

Old 08-05-2019, 05:02 PM

14 posts, read 24,947 times
Overall cost of living is better in Mississippi, despite the income tax. That is why Desoto County is one of the fastest growing counties in the country.>>

DeSoto County and Lafayette are the fastest growing counties in Mississippi, but DeSoto County is nowhere near one of the fastest growing in the country currently. In Tennessee, 8 counties out of 95 have grown had a higher percentage rate than Desoto County from 2010-2018. Also, 8 counties in Tennessee have grown at a higher numerical rate than DeSoto County in the same time period. In the 90s-early 2000s, DeSoto County was in the top 100 (or maybe even top 50) fastest growing counties in the country, but not anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis