Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 01:32 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times

Advertisements

Between Collierville and Germantown, which do you all think is better for a young family with school age kids, and why?

What are the pros and cons of both cities?

I tried searching this topic on this forum, but every thread comparing and contrasting Colliverille and Germantown was at least 5 years old. Surely plenty has changed in regard to both cities since then.

Oh, and PLEASE don't anybody derail the thread with, "Y'all should come on down to Southaven/Olive Branch!!!" We are 1,000% NOT interested in moving to Mississippi.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2020, 04:37 PM

191 posts, read 303,577 times
Both have excellent schools. Collierville has a better village center, but it's further out. It probably has more newer houses.

Old 04-14-2020, 06:34 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times
Hello? Anybody out there?

^ Thanks, Comingtomemphis.

Old 04-16-2020, 10:35 AM

1,069 posts, read 746,030 times
Collierville and Germantown have a lot of similarities. The historic town square in Collierville is quaint and a fun place to spend a few hours shopping or dining but the commercial strip along Poplar Avenue consists mostly of chain restaurants and box stores. The traffic on Poplar can be brutal.

From an aesthetic standpoint I prefer Germantown. City planners have regulated commercial development quite well by encouraging growth but limiting urban sprawl. In the 14 years that I've lived in the area some excellent independent restaurants and businesses have opened and seem to be doing quite well. Germantown has a nice Whole Foods and Trader Joe's as well as a very large Kroger Supermarket. You really can't go wrong with making a home in either community. It just depends on what your preferences are and where you can find a home that you want to purchase or rent.

Old 04-17-2020, 08:08 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,491,448 times
Both are very similar. Germantown is more established and closer to the amenities in Memphis. Collierville has newer housing stock and just built a brand new high school.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:55 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,957,395 times
I've lived in Gtown and Cville for 30+ years, and they have very similar demographics. I will echo what the previous posters said:

Germantown has older houses, and you may have to buy an outdated house if you don't have a large budget.
Collierville has newer houses, but many people experience "pinhole leaks" for some reason. I haven't heard of that issue in Gtown, where the houses are old and solid.

The school systems are about the same. Cville built a mega high school a few years back that has a lot to offer, but there are also negatives with going to such a large school. It's also pretty far South in the city, which can be annoying if you live up towards Wolf River somewhere. I heard some part of Houston High is being updated soon?

Collierville has the Town Square, and there are many events there. Germantown doesn't have a nice square, but I think they're trying to develop some kind of outdoor concert venue over by GPAC. We'll see how that turns out. The Germantown Horseshow grounds are under-utilized, in my opinion. The Germantown Festival is cool, but I think they could have more events there.

Public services are about the same regarding police/fire/parks. Cville uses their own garbage trucks, and they will suck up your leaves at the curb for free. Germantown uses a third-party and will not pick up your leaves. There's also a lot more trees in Germantown. I think property taxes are about the same as well.

Collierville's government plays well together and gets things done. Germantown seems to always have some kind of squabble or back-room deal going on to keep half the alderman from having a say. The leadership doesn't get along, including the school board at times.

If I had a city/town like Germantown (appearance and traffic), but with Collierville's leadership (city and schools), I'd be happy as a clam.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:32 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,516,069 times
My sister lives on Poplar Ave., just inside the Germantown city limits. I was over there the other day, and noticed how run down many of the neighborhoods are between Kirby Parkway and Gerrmantown Parkway. I'm talking the western side of Germantown. A little farther east you will find homes in nicer condition.

Schools are okay in either Germantown or Collierville. But the attitudes of students in Collierville are probably a little better.

If I was moving over there, I'd choose Collierville.

Old 04-20-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
My sister lives on Poplar Ave., just inside the Germantown city limits. I was over there the other day, and noticed how run down many of the neighborhoods are between Kirby Parkway and Gerrmantown Parkway. I'm talking the western side of Germantown. A little farther east you will find homes in nicer condition.

Schools are okay in either Germantown or Collierville. But the attitudes of students in Collierville are probably a little better.

If I was moving over there, I'd choose Collierville.
Those neighborhoods aren't "run down". They have literally looked the same for 30 years. They're outdated, and many elderly people there are original owners. There's nothing wrong with those neighborhoods from a public safety or schools standpoint. In fact, Riverdale (in the middle of one of those "run down" neighborhoods) was the #1 ranked middle school in the county a few years ago. It probably still holds the title.

Old 04-20-2020, 01:46 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,516,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Those neighborhoods aren't "run down". They have literally looked the same for 30 years. They're outdated, and many elderly people there are original owners. There's nothing wrong with those neighborhoods from a public safety or schools standpoint. In fact, Riverdale (in the middle of one of those "run down" neighborhoods) was the #1 ranked middle school in the county a few years ago. It probably still holds the title.
My niece and nephew spent their elementary school days at Riverdale, and I always considered it very good. They then the niece went to Briarcrest and my nephew went to MUS. His 2 sons are now at MUS @ $22k a year each.

I just don't understand why so many roofs are not replaced, and people have just not kept up painting their homes outside. I guess it could be worse with purple and pink trim like you'll see south of Winchester & Kirby Parkway.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
My niece and nephew spent their elementary school days at Riverdale, and I always considered it very good. They then the niece went to Briarcrest and my nephew went to MUS. His 2 sons are now at MUS @ $22k a year each.

I just don't understand why so many roofs are not replaced, and people have just not kept up painting their homes outside. I guess it could be worse with purple and pink trim like you'll see south of Winchester & Kirby Parkway.
Those are probably the elderly people I spoke of, who may not have extra money in retirement to spend on their home. They also aren't interested in cosmestic updates. My next door neighbor is in her 80's, and she has a number of cosmetic issues on her house. She lives alone off of her pension income. If she has money, she won't spend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis