Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 01:30 PM

3,636 posts, read 10,696,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBlaz View Post
When I lived in Memphis. A buddy and I talked he's a Seismologist. I asked him about this and he told me highly doubts it will hit in our life time! He said there will be minor ones like Madrid has now but then he told me, you ever know what's going to happen! It could happen tomorrow, 50 years down the road(predicted) or 1,000 years down the road. He did tell me this the New Madrid Fault is overdue for a major earthquake!!! I asked him what magnitude would it be from his point he said major 8-10 and he said it will destroy everything around the fault line, he firmly believes once it goes the WHOLE fault line will go. He told me Memphis and St. Louis would be devastated and Memphis would lose Downtown because it has soft soil.

No one around the fault line is worried with the fault line. I highly doubt anyone is ready for it either! I wouldn't worry with it!!!
so he highly doubts there will be one in our lifetime, but he also says that we're long overdue for a major earthquake? doesnt make sense...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 05:16 PM

5 posts, read 18,290 times
I wouldn't worry about it. Memphis is not in the center of the New Madrid fault. In fact we live about 15 miles from east Memphis and are not, technically, in the New Madrid zone at all. Just not a major concern for most people. Kabluey makes some recent, good points.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:55 PM

10 posts, read 17,343 times
This post got my attention since I've been reading more and more about the New Madrid fault lately. Anyone read about FEMA's NLE 2011? Now listen to this guy...don't know what to think about this but it's scary enough!
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="YouTube - Madrid Fault Line Earthquake: FEMA, HAARP & Man-Made Disaster" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQLV5pb5OSQ

Old 05-03-2011, 07:09 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,598,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagar View Post
This post got my attention since I've been reading more and more about the New Madrid fault lately. Anyone read about FEMA's NLE 2011? Now listen to this guy...don't know what to think about this but it's scary enough!
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="YouTube - Madrid Fault Line Earthquake: FEMA, HAARP & Man-Made Disaster" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQLV5pb5OSQ
They are blowing it?

YouTube - 5/2/2011 -- 9pm CST -- NEW MADRID/Flooding The Fault Line WILL Cause Seismic Movement

YouTube - NEW MADRID FAULT STAGE 1 COMPLETE FINAL 5.2.2011

Old 05-03-2011, 11:05 AM

4,396 posts, read 4,887,006 times
The guy lost me when said the time was "central standard time" when it is actually "central daylight time". If you can't get your time correct, how can you properly present data in a scientific way.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:18 PM

469 posts, read 965,029 times
The New Madrid Fault is certainly real, but not apparently entirely understood by many with any degree of concencus. The Univ. of Minnesota recently concluded that this seismic zone is on a downhill decline from the "big one" of 1811. (By the way, the brief reversal of direction of the MS River during that quake was according to the U.S. Park Service an overflow down into an adjacent low lying swamp and not due to a powerful surge of some sort forcing water to flow backwards.) Such stories make for good legends, and second hand quotes are often stretched to the max. The former student who said that Memphis is overdue for a temblor measuring up to a 10 is guessing at something which has never happened in the history of Man, so how could you predict it? Many have conjectured about the length of time between Major New Madrid quakes and come up with variances of hundreds of years. The last I heard was from a historian who said it was a "five hundred year quake", therefore we would be 300 years away from the event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis