Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2008, 11:36 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,128 times

Advertisements

Hi, didn't really find an answer here thus far, so here goes...

I was wondering if it would be possbile to find decent/affordable homes for sale or rent, or even townhomes/patio homes near this specific area-

Brother Boulevard
Bartlett, TN 38133

Because of gas prices, would like to be close to a possible new job.

From what I have read so far, it sounds like Bartlett would be okay overall, staying within the city limits. Having lived in a couple of major metropolitan areas, we don't scare too easily LOL...
No children to educate, but safety and convenience are important of course, and where residents take pride in their suroundings and keep an eye out for each other.

Can any resident recommend anything around there? Like a neighborhood, or zip ....better yet where to consider staying away from?

Thank you for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 11:42 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
Brother is close to Germantown Rd, which is Cordova. So that's the good side of Bartlett. If you go too far west, or southwest, the area can get iffy because it's next to Raleigh and north Memphis. Brother has a bunch of corporate/industrial type offices, so you probably mean right near Brother and Stage Rd. That area is fine. Keep in mind though, that it's right up next to Cordova, and there is a big difference between buying a house in Cordova vs Bartlett. Cordova is almost all Memphis City now (annexed). Bartlett is its own city with its own government. Brother turns into Appling Rd south of Stage I believe. There are a lot of newish little starter homes around that area.

Like with anyone, I'd suggest visiting the area a couple times and checking neighborhoods out before committing to rent or buy. Rentals around that area (complexes) can be a bit iffy. There are a ton going south in Bartlett on Summer or Sycamore View, but those aren't the best areas. Renting a house near Brother/Stage would be fine though.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:53 AM

196 posts, read 692,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
Hi, didn't really find an answer here thus far, so here goes...

I was wondering if it would be possbile to find decent/affordable homes for sale or rent, or even townhomes/patio homes near this specific area-

Brother Boulevard
Bartlett, TN 38133

Because of gas prices, would like to be close to a possible new job.

From what I have read so far, it sounds like Bartlett would be okay overall, staying within the city limits. Having lived in a couple of major metropolitan areas, we don't scare too easily LOL...
No children to educate, but safety and convenience are important of course, and where residents take pride in their suroundings and keep an eye out for each other.

Can any resident recommend anything around there? Like a neighborhood, or zip ....better yet where to consider staying away from?

Thank you for any help!
Yes, there are decent neighborhoods that are actually almost within walking distance of Brother.

And there are close areas that range from modest to almost mansions.
And all the county areas have excellent public schools.

A few areas that you might want to check out would be Cherry Valley, Easthill, Ellendale and the old Elmore Park area for older established areas.
There are also new homes being built in the area. Look right behind Sam's off New Brunswick.

And anywhere in Bartlett is good.
Better to stay away from the Raleigh side though.
And avoid the areas inside the Memphis city limits.
This area has all been divided, so if a house is still in the unincorporated area you will be able to find out into which city it will be annexed eventually. Rosemark, Arlington, and Lakeland are not far from Brother either.

You might also like the Davies Plantation area, bigger homes there and still very close.
And there is a new subdivision at Brunswick and Highway 70 with big new houses.
And I have seen many houses for sale in the developments off of Old Brownsville.

Actually, you will have a really wide range of house sizes and neighborhood age to choose from that are very close to Brother.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:50 PM

Thanks so much for the info so far. We certainly hope we can move back to the south! At least east of the Mississippi LOL...

There is one real estate company where we are now that has a way to directly search in specific neighborhoods. If anyone reading this knows of a similiar service around there, could you please direct message me the name/website? I've been prowling around and haven't run across one yet. Now that I have the name of some neighborhoods, it would be helpful to search that way.
Thank you!

Old 05-02-2008, 09:47 PM

196 posts, read 692,653 times
Moderator cut: cut real estate office info

I would check out Bartlett, Arlington, Ellendale, Lakeland, Rosemark, Lucy, Atoka maybe, germantown (if you must.)

Look at Memphis if you want to see some houses that belong to traded NBA players.
I think the first one is probably Jerry West's house.

Last edited by Beretta; 05-05-2008 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: please no linking to realtor offices

Old 05-02-2008, 10:11 PM

Thanks to each of you for your answers...(and the direct message) I've looked up a few areas, and we shouldn't have any problem finding a suitable/affordable house near Bartlett. Now if a job offer comes in, we will pretty much be set!
I might be back with another question or two, if so.
Blessings.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:19 AM

Default ELMORE Park ?

what a neat name, considering it is our last name, grin, shhhh, don't tell anyone. We could tell everyone it is our park LOL.
So any thoughts about the area around Elmore Park? Looks like a few houses there might be of interest, as we like older homes, and prefer not to spend an arm leg and a kidney for a home.
Is it fairly quiet and clean, and as safe as can somewhat be expected?

Old 05-05-2008, 07:40 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,315,500 times
If you're looking at the area around Elmore Park (boxed by Stage to the north, Bartlett Blvd to the west, Elmore to the south, and Altruria to the east), that area is pretty nice for the most part. In fact, there are some really nice houses with very pretty (and large) lots on the portion closer to Elmore Rd.

To the poster asking about Brother Blvd -- One thing I would caution you is to pay attention to city boundaries. If you go south of Stage Rd, the Memphis city limit starts weaving in and out, catching a neighborhood here and a neighborhood there. If you're trying to avoid paying the highest property tax in the nation or sending your kids to one of the worst school districts in the country, I'd stay north of Stage just to be sure.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:50 PM

Thanks, again, for the reply.
Well if this job pans out, we have a good idea of where to look for housing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis