Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 06:51 AM

21 posts, read 121,509 times

Advertisements

We have decided to relocate to the Germantown area from North Atlanta. I am excited. We enjoyed our trip to Memphis to ck it out. We won't move until our house in ATL sells. Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 06:52 AM

9 posts, read 27,586 times
Where in Germantown?

Old 05-23-2008, 09:17 AM

21 posts, read 121,509 times
we have to sell our house in ATL first and then we will buy in Germantown - any advice as to areas? I have heard that dogwood elem. is the best - what are thoughts on south of Poplar?

Old 05-23-2008, 09:41 AM

232 posts, read 988,312 times
I would stay north of Poplar. If any areas in Germantown are declining, it is the south side of Poplar.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:53 AM

79 posts, read 422,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowyer View Post
I would stay north of Poplar. If any areas in Germantown are declining, it is the south side of Poplar.
There are no parts of Germantown "declining". Some of you people are nuts. If you want to see an area that has declined, go to Frayser. Germantown as a whole is fine.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSTiger View Post
There are no parts of Germantown "declining". Some of you people are nuts. If you want to see an area that has declined, go to Frayser. Germantown as a whole is fine.
As a whole, yes. Germantown is declining south of Poplar.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:35 PM

79 posts, read 422,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowyer View Post
As a whole, yes. Germantown is declining south of Poplar.
Is that because home values south of Poplar are only in the $500,000 range instead of $750,000?

Old 05-23-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSTiger View Post
Is that because home values south of Poplar are only in the $500,000 range instead of $750,000?
I say this because the school zones in Germantown that go to Germantown HS are less attractive than those zoned for Houson HS. Lots of houses are less than $500K in G-Town

Old 07-06-2008, 11:19 AM

29 posts, read 81,152 times
Hi Allison - I understand your concerns but in Collierville and Germantown most of the crime is petty - certainly my experience having lived here for 6 years with 2 young children (I'm a SAHM) is that the police are not that busy in the burbs but Memphis is another story, depending on the area of town where you are - there are some very wealthy areas in Memphis but you would send your kids to private school and in my opinion you are bordering right on the troubled areas. If you live in a nice subdivision with lots of families, ie Saddlebrook, Whisperwoods, Wellington Farms etc, the people are very friendly - my children were 1.5 years old when we moved and we got a large playgroup together- most of the younger couples in the burbs are transplants and are looking to make friends too! We've been very happy so far with the Shelby County school system and although some people send their kids to private, the majority don't - my kids have attended Crosswind Elementary and are now at Sycamore as we moved house into a different district -my kids both are rising second graders and read at above 4th grade level so we can't complain! We are moving soon to NC and will miss this area very much. Feel free to send me any questions you think I might be able to help with...

Old 07-06-2008, 11:22 AM

29 posts, read 81,152 times
another thing Allison - I have friends that have children at Dogwood that aren't at all pleased with it and some love it - I'm just saying don't just go on the scores - we opted for Collierville over Germantown as we liked the newer subdivisions that were going up in our price range at the time and as I say we are very pleased with the schools. Btw we live 'south of poplar' just off Forest Hill Irene between Germantown and Collierville and are classed as Collierville Reserve - there are some extremely nice houses, well into the millions here which I doubt would have been built if the area was declining - this 'south of poplar' thing is just a snobby myth that has gone on for years before Collierville was really populated and built up - don't pay too much attention to it - just don't go too far south!!

Last edited by Jillyp; 07-06-2008 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: adding on a comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis