Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,829 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Memphis (Cordova) and I used to live in Atlanta for 10 years. I can assure you, that no matter where you live, you can never be 100% certain of what will happen. Simply be aware of what is going on around you. My parents live in an upscale neighborhood in Alpharetta and their neighborhood has had 13 break-ins. Bad things happen in all types of neighborhoods. Turns out the break-ins have allegedly been made by an attorney. Go figure. No place is or "type of person" is completely safe, however it is what you make of it.
As far as Germantown and Collierville go, they are both nice places. The Collierville Public schools are better. If I were in Germantown, I would probably lean toward private. In Collierville, I would at least check out the public schools.
I love Memphis. I am considering coming back to Atlanta, however, it is only for the sake of my family, who all happen to live in Atlanta and surrounding areas. It has been easy to make friends in Memphis and Memphis has all the "big city" offerings without the big city prices and hassles. If I could convince my entire extended family to move to Memphis, I would stay there. I think the only downside of Memphis is the job market is not as progressive, however, if you happen to be in an industry that is heavy in Memphis you are set. Good Luck!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,790 times
Default home for sale in Dogwood/Houston schools. great place

allison

my wife and i used to live in windward in alpharetta. you would love germantown and i have the perfect house for you. it's also on zillow.com in the 38139 zip code

[url=http://picasaweb.google.com/ersands62/OurHome]Picasa Web Albums - Sandman - Our Home[/url]

my wife would be happy to answer any of your questions about schools. our kids just finished dogwood and are off to middle school next week

Ed

Old 09-03-2008, 06:50 PM

21 posts, read 121,918 times
Hello all,

Thank you for your input. We are under contract to buy a home in 38139 - Dogwood Elem. Looking forward to integrating into the community.

-Allison

p.s. I'll keep you posted of any gripes or pleasant surprises once we are settled!

Old 09-03-2008, 06:53 PM

21 posts, read 121,918 times
one interesting thing about where we bought. we have a collierville address but germantown zip and schools...

Old 09-03-2008, 07:05 PM

232 posts, read 992,888 times
38139 is one of the best ZIP codes in the county, IMO. You'll be fine!

Old 07-04-2009, 07:19 PM

9 posts, read 33,918 times
allisonbmurray....
I was reading some older posts and noticed you lived in Phoenix. We moved to Collierville from Phoenix and was a hard transition due to giving up so many Phnx city amenities.....but the people in Collierville are extremely nice and has made the change for us bearable. Did you make the move to Collierville? We lived in Phoenix for 10 years, would be nice to meet other Phoenecians!

Old 07-10-2009, 10:43 AM

10 posts, read 54,249 times
We now live in very near Johns Creek area but moved from Cordova, TN. All I can say is

Old 07-10-2009, 10:46 AM

10 posts, read 54,249 times
We lived in Cordova, TN for 5 years but moved to the Lawrenceville/ Suwanee area last year and we could not be happier. DO NOT MOVE TO MEMPHIS. I REPEAT...DO NOT MOVE BACK UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN. The schools in Gwinnett County are so much better. MY wife has taught in both. Although traffic is worse in Atlanta, there are far more benefits than problems.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:48 AM

235 posts, read 1,364,373 times
I am moving to Atlanta and from what I have seen, Atlanta is like a SUPERSIZED Memphis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis