U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 06:09 AM

21 posts, read 116,950 times

Advertisements

My DH has an offer for a job in Memphis. We currently live in Johns Creek, GA (near Alpharetta). We are considering moving but are hesitant because of the City's "bad rap." We have 2 young children (preschool) and are concerned about the crime & elementry schools. We would be looking to buy in Germantown or Collierville. Is Memphis as bad as you all make it out to be? We don't need to move - but would like a shorter commute for my DH (he would work near the airport) and better access to city amenities (like the airport, zoo, children's museum, etc.).

We are also concerned about making new friends. Are people as "unfriendly" as you all say? Would I find other SAHM's - playgroups, etc.?

Can anyone compare Memphis to Atlanta or Phoenix? (We've lived in both)

Also, does anyone have info on preschools in the Germantown area - a part time church program or mother's morning out - average cost? difficulty getting in?

Lots of questions!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 07:42 AM

3,371 posts, read 12,719,414 times
If all you are wanting is a shorter commute...couldn't you just move closer to your job in Atlanta? Why move to a whole different state?

I know Atlanta has much more sprawl than Memphis. As for crime, yes it's as bad as some on here make it out, but no, it's not as bad as others on here make it out. It's not a war zone. Most violent crime is kept to the bad areas of town, not Germantown and Collierville. Areas you won't be living in.

I think people here are friendly in their own way. If you are friendly, they are. If you don't want to bother, they won't bother either.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:59 AM

What we could afford closer to DH's work in ATL in a decent school district would be a shack. Basic ranches are going in the $600's. Much lower cost of living in the north burbs (great schools) and in Germantown/Collierville.

Do most people in Germantown or Collierville send their kids to private school or public?

Are most people in Germantown/Collierville natives or are there a fair amount of "transplants?"

Old 05-01-2008, 08:24 AM

Germantown and Collierville public schools are okay, but yes, a lot of people there send their kids to private. Those are very wealthy upper class areas.

Memphis has a ton of transplants. With Fed Ex being out that way, you get a TON of people who are not from here. Also with International Paper, Autozone, St. Jude, etc.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:48 PM

252 posts, read 673,288 times
Yup. Transplant from Maine living in Collierville. You would find the traffic here in the Memphis area so much better than Atlanta. I haven't been to Atlanta since the early 90s, but it was bad enough back then.

As for meeting people/friendly people, you will have no problem finding friends. We have met a lot of people through church. Also, there are several churches in Germantown that have pre-school daycare centers. I don't have children, so I don't know how much they cost.

Memphis is what you make it. There is a lot to do here, but you have to watch where you go and when you go there. The zoo is fabulous! The parks, especially Shelby Farms, are great. Both Collierville and Germantown have nice parks, too. If you like music, there is plenty of it here. Sports, too.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:54 PM

what do you mean you have to watvh where you go & when you go - can you give examples? would i be worried about safety on a daily/ weekly basis?

Old 05-01-2008, 01:56 PM

Memphis is a high crime city, lots of crime everywhere. Now, violent crime is mainly reduced to the bad areas of town. And there isn't a ton of crime in Germantown, Collierville, etc. But you do have to be careful where to go, as in any urban area. I don't think Atlanta is much, if any, different.

Plus, you mentioned working near the airport. That is a VERY bad area of town. Not that you'd be hanging out around there after work, but if your car breaks down, you have to stop for gas, go out to lunch, etc.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:00 PM

Plus, "safe" is sort of subjective. For example, I like urban areas. I like big cities, skyscrapers, I like downtowns and that sort of thing. Usually some petty crime, car break ins, bums, will come along with that. Those things don't bother me (well, if my car got broken into, I'd be bothered, but the thought of it doesn't keep me from liking urban areas). Anyway, some people like big yards, no bums, and wouldn't have the same feelings as me.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:01 PM

so would my husband be safe working late?

i have never felt unsafe here. one of my girlfriends had her car broken into while she was at the park with her kids but that was over a year ago and i haven't heard of anybody in our circle encountering any other kind of crime.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:04 PM

Atlanta has a lot of crime too; it's also a pretty urban city.

I understand that suburbs are different from the city. Like has been said, I would imagine everyone feels safe living in Collierville here. But you do have to venture outside of your neighborhood at some point

I don't know where your husband is going to work, or if it would be safe at night. I can't imagine people are breaking into corporate buildings down by the airport, but I would be cautious about going out to the car and stopping anywhere after dark. A ton of people work "by the airport" but they definitely go to work and drive away at the end of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>