Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2008, 04:40 PM

9 posts, read 20,898 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to Memphis in August, and plan to live there for 1-2 years. I got some great feedback from the forum earlier about whether to rent or buy, and we’ve decided to rent while we’re there.

It’s just the two of us, and our 90-lb rottweiler. Our dog is very friendly and extremely well-behaved, great with kids and other animals. Many complexes ban rotties though, so that’s going to limit our options. Here’s my new question: Does anyone know of a dog-friendly apartment complex that will let you have a rottweiler?

We’re also looking into renting a house from a private owner if we don’t have any luck with apartments.

Also, how far ahead of our move should we come to Memphis to apartment-hunt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 05:16 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,473,122 times
Midtown Property Management & Realty - Memphis Homes & Apartments

They have apts and houses for rent

I am not sure what part of Memphis you will be living in and I just have cats but I would do the following:

1. Find out what area you want to stay in
2. Search for apts/houses and ask the owner/mgr

I lived downtown at the ballpark and noticed a Akita (sp?) ...seemed rather large not viscious though. Also had a co-worker who stayed in the Midtown Place apts on poplar who had a pit bull...As far as a time line that depends on you. I would definitely visit a few times first and narrow down the area. Once you do that do your apartment/house search and visit before you move. Just don't wait till the last minute. Now would be a good time to visit and get a feel for the city-Memphis is May is going on as we speak. Good luck.

Last edited by pushkinswife; 05-01-2008 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: add

Old 05-02-2008, 08:08 AM

9 posts, read 20,898 times
We're moving from Salt Lake City, so with air fares as expensive as they are we'll just be able to swing one visit before we move. We're debating between visiting either the week of June 23rd, or the week of July 15th. Would you think the second option would be too late, if we want to move in at the beginning of August?

Based on what I've read on here, we're thinking either Midtown (my wife will work at the VA), or one of the east suburbs. I want us to live somewhere where she can safely walk our dog (who would probably lick anyone who tried to attack her).

Thanks for the tip!

Old 05-02-2008, 12:54 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,473,122 times
I think the earlier you visit the better. What if you guys visit the week of July 15th and nothing is available until mid-august or later? If depends on the apartment/house. Some might have a vacancy some might not until later so the earlier you visit the better chance of getting something you want in the area you want. Plus you both are not from here and you want to get a feel for Midtown or the burbs as soon as possible. As far as "safety" there is really no true safety bubble in Memphis. Crime happens everywhere. I live on Mud Island which is relatively safe and there was carjacking/abduction earlier this week in MY apartment complex. You have to just be careful and watchful. Crime happens in the burbs as well. Some will have one bad experience and say its a bad area (understandable). Its about personal preference. People think that the further you move out the safer you are. Not always true. It still can happen. Use this crimemapper to get an idea of whats going on in your area(s) of interest. Memphis Daily News - Crime Report - Reported crimes for Memphis and Shelby County - Updated Daily
Good luck.

Last edited by pushkinswife; 05-02-2008 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: url
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis