Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2020, 10:02 PM

3 posts, read 3,537 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to Collierville from South Africa and would love some advice on choosing the right schools for our children. They are currently at a private school in South Africa, and we are looking at Schilling Farms Middle School, Collierville High School, Briarcrest, and St George's. We have a daughter in High School and a son in Middle School. Our son has high functioning autism, so would need a great support program for that. Our must-have items for a prospective school would be: knowledgeable, caring teachers, excellent support for our son (RTI/ Special Ed), inclusive, welcoming community, and down-to-earth parent body (we are not interested in the stereotypical, overcompetitive private school snobs). We would love to hear your thoughts and experiences with these schools - thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2020, 02:55 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,591 times
Schilling Farms Middle School (off Winchester Rd) moved to the old high school location a few years ago and became "West Collierville Middle". The old SFMS building is now "Schilling Farms Elementary School (K-5th). There are two public middle schools in Collierville called: Collierville Middle (580 Quinn Rd) and West Collierville Middle (1101 N Byhalia Rd). It's confusing that they named them so similar. Collierville Middle is more diverse, but both schools are equally great. I'm a big fan of the Collierville High principal, Roger Jones.
With public schools, you'll probably get the "down-to-Earth" parents you're looking for, because those schools serve all neighborhoods. There will be a wide variety of families. They have "Individual Education Plans" (IEP) and will do what they can to adjust to student needs.
Personally, I would give public schools in Collierville a try before you pay for private school. Collierville schools are often ranked amongst the best in TN.

If you look at Germantown, TN (also great schools), just know that Germantown Elementary/Middle/High are not run by Germantown government. Those 3 schools are run by the county system.

Old 10-02-2020, 03:17 AM

Thank you for your response. I discovered the change in Collierville Middle Schools and was surprised by how many websites haven't been updated!

Old 10-19-2020, 08:29 AM

472 posts, read 347,355 times
So sorry this is so late, but for your son, I'd consider sending him to Lausanne. I think they do a fantastic job creating a wonderful environment for their students. I'm an alum and loved my time there. However, I have heard it has changed some- it is at least worth a visit though and seeing if it fits with what you need.
Best of luck!

Old 10-19-2020, 10:59 PM

Thank you for your feedback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis