Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 09:01 PM

104 posts, read 364,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck1229 View Post
Things to do, Watch the Grizzlies because they can beat the Knicks.
$450 season tickets in the upper tier, the best deal in the NBA!

Quote:
Forget the food, no comparison. OK stuff, but nothing beats the ethnic food and variety in NYC. Circa on Main Street is Great, and there are some great beer places on Beale Street, I like Silky Sullivans.
- Check out Petra Cafe on Poplar for excellent gyros
- Decent pizza is nowhere to be found!
- Jimmy's Dogs in Germantown (Bartlett?) Has EXCELLENT hot dogs, but they're Chicago style
- Tycoon on Kirby is one of the handful of noodle shops in town and is excellent
- Blue Fin on Main has the best combo of taste/atmosphere/price for Sushi, and a funky crowd weekends (great house music DJ too).
- Get used to people commenting on your accent
- Get used to people moving at their own pace
- Get used to an hour of pleasantries every morning at work BEFORE you start working.

Quote:
Now Hookers, we got them, not classy like NYC, but I am sure we can meet or exceed the trashy ones you also find in NYC.
Nothing here can beat 11th Ave when it was in its heyday!

Also, Tunica truly is turning into a Vegas of the South and it's really close by. It will remind you of 60's Vegas.

On the minus side:
- No one plays handball or paddleball
- No softball leagues for adults
- No street vendors

Ex-Pat

Last edited by expatnortherner; 08-05-2008 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: Addidtions to the post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 03:50 AM

16 posts, read 69,371 times
Ahem, Expat... Do the hookers not count as "street vendors"?

Old 08-06-2008, 06:52 AM

56 posts, read 218,881 times
Binksby,

My wife and I also live in the South Main district. We just moved from LA two months ago. We are really liking it as well. Arcade, Bluff City Coffee, Blue Monkey and walking around. You may see me around, always walking my two westies and sporting my Jayhawk hat, say hello if you see me. It is bloody hot though!!

Old 08-06-2008, 09:58 AM

"Ahem, Expat... Do the hookers not count as "street vendors"?"

Truth be told from an 'adult entertainment' POV Memphis used to beat NYC hands down for quantity and variety of sleaze (but not quality of sleaze). This has changed somewhat recently as (people have) pressured city officials who have cracked down on that sort of thing. There's still some grit to be found if you look hard enough though.

Like all pendulums it's a matter of waiting for it to swing back the other way.

Ex-Pat

Last edited by Pearlbob; 08-06-2008 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: please be respectful

Old 08-13-2008, 12:11 AM

17 posts, read 58,333 times
Arrow Downtown memphis

You may like downtown memphis, particularly the lofts or apartments downtown.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:14 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatnortherner View Post
"Ahem, Expat... Do the hookers not count as "street vendors"?"

Truth be told from an 'adult entertainment' POV Memphis used to beat NYC hands down for quantity and variety of sleaze (but not quality of sleaze). This has changed somewhat recently as (people have) pressured city officials who have cracked down on that sort of thing. There's still some grit to be found if you look hard enough though.

Like all pendulums it's a matter of waiting for it to swing back the other way.

Ex-Pat
Sad day when they closed Platinum...

Old 08-13-2008, 12:24 PM

I was recently trying to think of what downtown Memphis reminded me of and it hit me, it's like Chelsea, circa 1980's. The urban feel, cheap rents and loft space and available commercial space is just waiting for an arts explosion.

I saw this happen in New Orleans in the 80's, but now French Quarter rents are beyond the ability for musicians and artists to afford. Rents are still relatively cheap here and it's a shame no one is reaching out to that community to move here.

It's only a matter of time before the arts culture finds out about Memphis on its own. When that happens it will make downtown a very interesting place to be.

Ex-Pat

Old 08-15-2008, 07:37 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,479 times
Broad Ave. is much a much more appropriate venue for an arts district. Talk about gritty. And I note that the Urban Arts Commission recently relocated to Broad Ave. Good start.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:17 PM

30 posts, read 80,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatnortherner View Post
I was recently trying to think of what downtown Memphis reminded me of and it hit me, it's like Chelsea, circa 1980's. The urban feel, cheap rents and loft space and available commercial space is just waiting for an arts explosion.

I saw this happen in New Orleans in the 80's, but now French Quarter rents are beyond the ability for musicians and artists to afford. Rents are still relatively cheap here and it's a shame no one is reaching out to that community to move here.

It's only a matter of time before the arts culture finds out about Memphis on its own. When that happens it will make downtown a very interesting place to be.

Ex-Pat
I lived in the Quarter in the early 70's and paid $65/month. It was an incredible dump, but cheap dumps were all over.

Up through about 1960, it was pretty much an Italian slum. That was over for the most part when I lived there, but there was still an area of the Quarter that was predominantly black, with clubs and restaurants and so on. By the late 70's it was really changing--things were turning into condos and so on. Locals attributed it to the oil boom which inflated real estate all over the city.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:31 PM

2 posts, read 6,447 times
Default Move to Harbortown

We love it here. Although its a short jog into the main downtown, it doesn't get deserted like downtown can get. Plus we have three restaurants and two bars that are packed on a regular basis.
We have a good mix of people too - a very international community - thanks to St. Jude being nearby and open minded too. Our neighbors to the right are a gay couple, and to our left, a lesbian couple.
We have the Arbors and other apts on the island, but I would strongly suggest renting a house in Harbortown proper (a small community on the island). It's upscale and safer than the rest.
BTW...I'm an import from NYC myself. Lived at 124 W 60th Street near Columbus Circle.
Happy House Hunting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis