Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 05:05 AM

88 posts, read 294,492 times

Advertisements

I'm writing a novel. In it a native Memphian spends his entire life in the Army. He leaves Memphis when he is 18 by joining the Army. He has returned a few times to visit family but very rarely. As long as 6 years might pass between visits.

He remembers a very sedate and gracious city from back in the early 60's. Of course he was a child then and had a child's point of view.

Now he's returning. My question is, what part of Memphis or surrounding areas were idyllic in the early 60's but are a nightmare today. I want him to be shocked when he comes back to town. You know the deal, "What have they DONE to my town?" kinda thing.

During the course of the novel I want to bring out the dichotomy of the city. There are relaxed gracious streets lined with trees that are hundreds of years old and there is urban blight.

The novel isn't about Memphis, but the nature of Memphis is going to lend to my sergeant's discomfort with sorrows and joyous discoveries along the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 07:30 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times
Raleigh, Frayer, and--to a lesser degree--Whitehaven.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:34 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,335,524 times
I have a cousin who lived in Raleigh years ago. She was shocked when I moved here and she learned what it has become.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:41 AM

Well, Fraysier it is. That's where I grew up so I know the area. I didn't know that it had degraded though. It was so gentle and kind when I lived there (early 60's)

Old 05-12-2008, 04:52 PM

9 posts, read 27,586 times
haha frayser and kind dont belong in the same sentence.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,107 times
Default Frayser

Looks like Frayser is the clear winner ...

I too grew up there living on Frayser Blvd, near the city limits. I went to public schools (Brookmeade Elementary, Trezevant High), moving away after the 8th grade in the mid-1960's. I received an excellent education from some amazing teachers. In fact, upon arriving at my new school in California, I was one year ahead of everyone and graduated high school a year early.

Frayser was a wonderful area full of middle-class homes, with the classic 2.4 kids in a nuclear family. I had friends all over town. I remember biking everywhere. Played little league baseball at Frayser High, regularly rode the city bus downtown (especially during the Mid-South Fair), spent nearly every Saturday at Northgate Shopping Center (does that still exist) where I'd go to the movies after my morning bowling league. I remember Tim McCarver from the St. Louis Cardinals dropping by one Saturday. I remember spending summer days at the community pool on Watkins (?). I remember playing in the woods and even hitchhiking home along Frayser Blvd. when I was late getting home (try that these days). I remember having a summer job at a golf driving range/baseball batting range at the end of Frayser Blvd. I remember Whopper Burger. I remember going to the Grant's soda fountain to bug my sister who was working there. I remember a great Italian place (Forgiones?) out on the major highway.

Frayser was a big part of my life. Now the things I read sadden me greatly. I haven't been back to Memphis since 8th grade. Doesn't look like I have any reason to go back ... would it be safe to drive by my old house in Frayser? Safe to drive by my old schools? To actually go in my old schools for a visit? From all I see on this site, the answer is no.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:05 PM

I feel the same way. In the summer I would awaken at sunrise and get on my bike. Mama would put my lunch on the kitchen table but didn't care about me being punctual since I didn't know how to tell time and they didn't make kid watches back then anyway.

I'd ride all day. When the sun was straight up I'd go home for lunch.

Then I'd be out riding my bike again until I saw the end of day traffic pick up and I'd go on home to meet Daddy who usually had a piece of hard candy in his lunch box for me.

I would be gone from home for hours on end and Mama never worried and nobody ever bothered me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis