Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 08:52 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times

Advertisements

You guys (and girls) are freaking me out. I have been to Mem several times and enjoyed every visit, never had a problem, never been a victim of crime. (however i don't go out at night and would turn around if entering a distressed looking neighborhood, just in theory, i didn't feel the need in Memphis, but obviously didn't cover every acre of the city).

I have accepted an opportunity in town and am now looking for a place to live, so I come on this site to find out about neighborhoods and all Hades breaks out - in my mind at least.

Maybe I should look at my own city's forum on this site. (our demographics are not dissimilar and it is a much larger city, so i am sure we have more, not less crime.)

Can't people live a normal, reasonably happy life in Memphis if one uses some common sense? What do you think? I am really interested in hearing a balanced view of your city.

Thanks!

Old 05-21-2008, 09:08 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,480,476 times
I am a native of Memphis and I understand your concern. People have varying views on Memphis and it really depends on what you are looking for when you come here. Its not the safest city and the politics here leave a little to be desired. However, I firmly believe that you can survive in Memphis if you watch your surroundings and be careful-EVEN if you pick a quiet suburb outside the city. Remember crime can happen everywhere.

With that being said, what type of neighborhood would you like? What is your budget. Whats your number one concern? Do you need to be close to good schools (kids?). I work with transplants like yourself and they are spread all over. Some in Midtown, Atoka, Collierville...just depends on what you are looking for.

We are here to help the best way we can. And congrats on your job

Last edited by pushkinswife; 05-21-2008 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 05-21-2008, 09:22 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Thank you and thanks for your speedy reply (btw i checked my origin city's forum and the threads were not nearly so doom-laden)

My number one concern is safety.
I had originally wanted something with some historic character and therefore within the 40/240 loop, but not wanting to deal with possible car burglary, even worse home burglary etc. am currently rethinking that. Having a 'nice' place a few blocks from a troublesome place is obviously not a way to stay clear of trouble so have reluctantly started to consider the burbs, probably Bartlet/tt. (one t or two?)

I don't have kids and want to rent something up to about 6-650/month, less if possible. Is this low or high?

I'll be commuting to the U of Mem daily. I don't particulary want to go with northern Miss, ie Olive Branch, etc. but i was wondering what type of commute time that is or how many miles? May as well consider every possibility.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:35 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,480,476 times
No prob! In my opinion your price range is low for Bartlett. I would do an apartment search and put in Bartlett to see what you come up with. Bartlett is relatively safe. Your commute time from Bartlett will be at LEAST 30 mins or more depending on traffic. But I don't live in Bartlett its just my estimate. You mentioned wanting to live somewhere with some character. Midtown comes to mind. You are concerned with car burglaries and Midtown is no stranger to that. However, I have lived in gated communities in Midtown and never had a problem. I would suggest going to Apartments.com - Free Nationwide Apartment Search with the Most Visual Rental Listings Online. and Midtown Property Management & Realty - Memphis Homes & Apartments for apartment searching. If you were considering commuting from North Miss your commute time would be even longer depending on traffic. Since you have been here a few times was there a certain part of town you liked or felt safe in? You actually have an advantage having visited already.

Last edited by pushkinswife; 05-21-2008 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-21-2008, 11:50 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,335,524 times
I can only tell you of our own experience. I read this forum for awhile before our move and then I quit because I figured the deck HAD to be stacked....it couldn't be that bad.

Moved here in June of 2007 and we are leaving in July of 2008. I know there are people who are perfectly happy here but we do not like it. There are too many nice places to be to waste time here.

I wish I had paid more attention earlier.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:12 AM

88 posts, read 294,492 times
You may be right. I grew up here but moved out now I've returned some 35 years later. I decided not to move into the city but live in Olive Branch, Mississippi. I bought a house for a really cheap price. I live in a wonderful neighborhood. I have no complaints.

I work in Memphis.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:57 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
Crime is horrible, just as bad, in New Orleans and Miami. And those are 2 cities where you will find people with FIRM opinions on how much they love the town and how happy they are there.

You can find good parts to any city. As long as you are not renting in the middle of a ghetto, you should be fine. Crime can happen anywhere. I have known a handful of people to have their cars broken into here....all were in the suburbs. Bartlett and Cordova. I honestly don't know anyone who lives downtown and has had their car broken into, or midtown. I "hear" about it, but I personally have not seen it with any friends. You have to use common sense, and criminals will stay away. They are looking for easy targets, so don't make yourself into one.

That being said, $600 is pretty low for a suburban apartment, but you could probably find something if you look hard. Keep in mind, apartment complexes everywhere are going to be a little shady, because that is just who lives in them (no offense). But when you live in a city like Memphis, you're not going to find complexes filled with college aged kids like you might in other cities.

Just do your research before you move. I live in one of those areas that you are frightened of now, and I've been completely fine. I'm alive, and I drove to work today in my car that has never been broken into

Old 05-22-2008, 07:12 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,335,524 times
I have not been the victim of crime directly ever. I live in Harbortown and it is fine. However, I still don't want to live where there is just so much crime in general, filth, despair, poverty, racism (in both directions), corruption, narrowmindedness, waste, undeveloped potential etc.

There's a difference between putting up with a place and making the best of it and enjoying the place where you live. I'd rather enjoy my town....as I have the other 9 towns where I've lived.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:31 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
I understand. Everyone is different though. I know a lot of people who truly, truly love this city. And there are people who like it okay and are making the best of it. And there are people who hate it and hate their lives here. But you will find that in every city, not just Memphis. You can go to a beach in Hawaii and find someone that hates living there

I just don't like hearing people who are scared to death of moving here after reading this forum. If you're moving here no matter what, then do research and make the best move possible.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:41 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times
As I've written before, if you grew up within a couple hundred miles of Memphis--in Memphis' shadow--and you come here as a college student or young adult, you're going to be thrilled. After all, you've spent your entire life idealizing the big city. The only people I met in Memphis who were truly happy with the city fall into that category; they moved to Memphis from Tupelo or Jonesboro or Blytheville or Dyersburg or some other God-forsaken, dinky, hole-in-the-wall place. They're thrilled to escape. Good for them.

Folks who have lived in larger and/or better-functioning cities who move to Memphis are not so enamored. If you've lived in cities where people weren't running away by the tens of thousands and where racism, crime, and poverty weren't forced on you as the primary determinants of community, you won't be so enamored.

Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis