Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 10:35 AM

39 posts, read 289,398 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any idea, on average, how often the train runs through the Germantown area? I have found a home that I am totally in love with. The only down side is that it is close to the railroad. It's not near an intersection, so the horn shouldn't be a problem, but I'm just a little bit nervous about the frequency and potential problems with resale value. Any input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2007, 09:41 AM

4 posts, read 43,702 times
If you don't mind me asking, about how close is it to the train tracks? What neighborhood? I live kinda near the train, about a block away. If the house is totally silent and I have thewindow open, then I can faintly hear it, but there are several buildings between the train and I.

Old 01-07-2007, 04:24 PM

39 posts, read 289,398 times
It's in the Germantown East neighborhood, near Fort Germantown Park, all the way to the end of Honey Tree. The train runs literally behind the property, with the train track just on the other side of the fence in the backyard.

Old 01-07-2007, 04:54 PM

4 posts, read 43,702 times
I think I know just where you are talking about, but I am not sure how much of a bother the train would be there. If there are trees between your house and the tracks, it should not be too bad. And if there's anything I know about Germantown, I know they do not build where noone will buy and where property values will drop. I tried to find out about how many trains go by, but I could not find any information. I know there is one around 6:00 am on weekdays, there are two or three during the afternoon on weekdays, but not every week day. I don't think you'd have too many problems with it, the Memphis area is usually really good about buffering the train noise around neighborhoods. Here is the contact information for the city of Germantown, you might try calling them. - http://www.ci.germantown.tn.us/email.html (broken link)

Old 01-13-2007, 09:08 PM

25 posts, read 202,794 times
There are a lot of trains in the Memphis area compared to other parts of the country. This is a big area for transportation. So, I would not want to live close to the train tracks at all. Even if you become immune to the noise, there are other problems. My son's pre-school was evacuated because of a train spilled caustic materials. It can be inconvenient if you have to cross the tracks to pick up your kids, go to work, shop, etc.... You'd be surprised how long and often you will find yourself waiting at train crossings. And at one time, it seemed like Germantown teenagers were constantly being killed in car accidents involving trains. There are better places in Germantown to live. And unless it is a custom built home, you will probably find the same house plan in a better location. Not to mention, if you need to sell, it will be harder to sell a house near rr tracks. So think carefully about this one.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:56 PM

737 posts, read 1,915,892 times
Just curious if anyone has an approximate answer for now (this question was originally asked in 2007)? How many trains per day cross at Germantown Rd/West Rd?

Old 10-25-2013, 01:50 PM

680 posts, read 1,034,270 times
It's frequent. 4 or 5 over the course of the night at least. Those are a very busy set of tracks.

My first night here was spent at a hotel near that line in Collierville, and I don't think I got any sleep. I'm honestly not sure how people live close to those tracks throughout the Memphis, Germantown, and Collierville areas, though I'm sure they get used to it eventually.

We have some friends who live on Barksdale St in mid town and they don't even hear it anymore.

Memphis is served by 5 Class 1 railroads. It's a huge inland cargo DC.

Last edited by tigerphan; 10-25-2013 at 01:58 PM..

Old 10-29-2013, 09:31 AM

120 posts, read 269,666 times
I live in an apartment complex near Winchester and Forest Hill Irene about a mile from the nearest crossing and can hear them when I'm out on the patio. They seem to come through at least 3-4 times an evening though it varies. I can't hear them inside so I can't comment on late-night frequency. The issue is that there are so many crossings on that line, both gated and not, that they lay on the horn every 20 seconds or so as they move through the area. Sometimes it seems like they're on the horns almost continuously if they're moving at high speed. Coal trains can have up to five locomotives, 4 pulling and 1 pushing, so the engine noise and rumbling would be pretty bad too.I would not move, or buy, anywhere near that line. I don't think it's an investment issue as the market value for those homes are set with all this taken into consideration. It's a personal decision based on your tolerance of noise (think of those scenes in My Cousin Vinnie...haha).

Old 10-29-2013, 11:47 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,396,567 times
Just for the record, the law requires the train blow the horn a specific number of times based on specific criteria. They're not doing it haphazardly or just for fun.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:59 PM

120 posts, read 269,666 times
From CFR 49 Part 222.1: Train horns must be sounded in a standardized pattern of 2 long, 1 short and 1 long blasts. The pattern must be repeated or prolonged until the lead locomotive or lead cab car occupies the grade crossing. The rule does not stipulate the durations of long and short blasts.Coming into Colliverville and Germantow there are lots of crossings, that, combined with speeds of around 45-50mph as they are just coming off the rural run, you get LOTS of soundings. It would drive me nuts if I lived any closer to the tracks. I swear that, from time to time, you get an engineer who's out to wake up the neighborhood by just basically laying into the horn, seeminly continuously, through the area. Definitely the exception but it just makes me laugh (cause I'm far enough away that I can't hear it inside).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis