Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 05:50 AM

88 posts, read 294,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzloolue View Post
Exactly and well said.

Leave for work on time, chill out, and let me drive the speed limit in peace.

Not only that, but if someone is inattentive momentarily you have no idea why or what burden they may be carrying.
What a nice way to say it. Another thought is that they may just be reloading.

Seriously, my daughter has been having problems with her car lately. It looks like it has a fluid leak among other things. It tends to die when sitting still. Probably needs to idle faster.

It sometimes takes her a few seconds to get going, especially if she's at the front of the line and doesn't get notice that the light has changed. She's acutely aware and embarrassed when her car won't respond quickly and she does her best. Honking horns disturb her. I've seen her in tears over inconsiderate people that just like their horn a little too much. You don't think that honking your horn is going to fix whatever leak she has, do you?

Come on guys, give her a break. She's a nice person.

I'm not one to judge anyone, heaven knows I have my own foibles and quirks - but patience is truly a virtue down here and once cultured it will calm your life and you will be considerably happier. If you are in a hurry I won't judge you. I wish you well and hope your day slows down later on.

I've heard it said that nobody exclaims on their death beds that they wish they had worked more so slow down and enjoy your trip to whereever you are going. And if you pass a gray headed old man in a faded silver Grand Marquis with Olive Branch tags and a silly grin on his face gimme a wave. I promise to wave back and use all my fingers in doing so. I'll even give you a smile - I have a few that I can spare.

We live in the best place on the planet with the best people. Take your time and enjoy it. You'll be happy you did - I promise.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:17 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,337,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikBrooks View Post
What a nice way to say it. Another thought is that they may just be reloading.

Seriously, my daughter has been having problems with her car lately. It looks like it has a fluid leak among other things. It tends to die when sitting still. Probably needs to idle faster.

It sometimes takes her a few seconds to get going, especially if she's at the front of the line and doesn't get notice that the light has changed. She's acutely aware and embarrassed when her car won't respond quickly and she does her best. Honking horns disturb her. I've seen her in tears over inconsiderate people that just like their horn a little too much. You don't think that honking your horn is going to fix whatever leak she has, do you?

Come on guys, give her a break. She's a nice person.

I'm not one to judge anyone, heaven knows I have my own foibles and quirks - but patience is truly a virtue down here and once cultured it will calm your life and you will be considerably happier. If you are in a hurry I won't judge you. I wish you well and hope your day slows down later on.

I've heard it said that nobody exclaims on their death beds that they wish they had worked more so slow down and enjoy your trip to whereever you are going. And if you pass a gray headed old man in a faded silver Grand Marquis with Olive Branch tags and a silly grin on his face gimme a wave. I promise to wave back and use all my fingers in doing so. I'll even give you a smile - I have a few that I can spare.

We live in the best place on the planet with the best people. Take your time and enjoy it. You'll be happy you did - I promise.
Nicely said.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:21 AM

If someone is not moving I will give a quick, loud tap on the horn to make sure they know. Sometimes it's clear they aren't paying attention (fiddling with papers in the passenger seat, etc). It's a necessary courtesy to look out not only for them but for those behind us that they're holding up. It can be done in a non-hostile way...

Old 06-18-2008, 12:05 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times
It's also important to remember that streets are for moving traffic. If your vehicle is not moving, chances are you're causing people who need to be moving to be late for work, appointments, etc. If your car is not capable of moving on the streets effectively, then it is probably better to take your car to a mechanic and get it fixed.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:46 PM

Yeah, but I think the overriding message is that inconvenience or irritation does not excuse our behavior, how we treat our fellow drivers. And even if our fellow driver behaves in a way that reflects poorly on their character, it doesn't excuse or immunize our reactions from similar judgment...

We each have the power and opportunity to inject more civility in the world, through our interactions and reactions to each other. We should take advantage of that. Or at least I should... I'll just speak for me, lol. I can improve on a lot of things in how I treat others, and hopefully today I improved on yesterday, and tomorrow I improve on today.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
It's also important to remember that streets are for moving traffic. If your vehicle is not moving, chances are you're causing people who need to be moving to be late for work, appointments, etc. If your car is not capable of moving on the streets effectively, then it is probably better to take your car to a mechanic and get it fixed.
Let's bear in mind though that it's impossible for someone to take a non moving vehicle into traffic. It was moving when they got it in traffic and I would say it's safe to say that they did not intend that the vehicle stop moving.

Thus I would say that already the owner of a non moving vehicle is stressed. If the car is in poor repair then there is probably a reason - most likely that the person is struggling financially. Now they HAVE to spend money that they probably don't have and they are wondering how to get it fixed, how to get it out of the traffic, do I have to pay a tow truck? Oh why oh why didn't I go ahead and splurge for AAA?

Do you really need to add to their troubles? Can you not remember a time when money was tight for you? Can't you muster up just a little patience and understanding?

If there is nothing wrong with the car then the person is distracted. I have 'knocked' on my horn if a person takes an extremely long time - like knocking on a door. The result is a very inoffensive beep.

My point is that there are so many ugly things in the world, we really don't need to add to them, do we?

Old 06-19-2008, 07:39 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times
I'm very patient in traffic. I always leave very early in order to make sure I get where I'm going. However, I do not expect everyone else to do that.

I honked my horn at a person yesterday -- for the first time in years that I can remember. I was at a red light that turned green. The guy in front of me was leaned over in his car, apparently going through his glove compartment. He sat there through an entire light cycle, oblivious to the fact that a line of cars was waiting behind him. (This was a busy two-lane street, so there was no way around.) I honked. He went. All was good.

But I don't expect everyone else to have the same temperament in traffic.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
I'm very patient in traffic. I always leave very early in order to make sure I get where I'm going. However, I do not expect everyone else to do that.

I honked my horn at a person yesterday -- for the first time in years that I can remember. I was at a red light that turned green. The guy in front of me was leaned over in his car, apparently going through his glove compartment. He sat there through an entire light cycle, oblivious to the fact that a line of cars was waiting behind him. (This was a busy two-lane street, so there was no way around.) I honked. He went. All was good.

But I don't expect everyone else to have the same temperament in traffic.
I certainly understand that. respect goes both ways. He could have pulled into a parking lot to go through his glove compartment.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:40 PM

259 posts, read 789,239 times
[quote=RikBrooks;4009336]I've hung around about a month now. I've noticed several threads about the horrible drivers in Memphis.

I disagree.

I've lived all over the world. I grew up here, but while in the Army I lived all over the world and I drove in each of those places. I even drove in Rome, Italy where the traffic signals are a weak suggestion.

The worst drivers, bar none, and with no close second - is Boston, MA. In Memphis the drivers are not inconsiderate. They are simply inattentive. In Boston they are aggressive. In Boston driving is a sport and if you get there first you win.

I've seen people on the highway speed up to close an opening in traffic when I switch on a turn signal. That's why most Bostonites don't use their turn signals, they are warning other drivers of where they are going and giving them an unfair advantage.

I am not exagerrating. I refused to drive at all in Boston and that has never happened anywhere else.

Yeah, Memphis drivers can be pretty bad, but we ain't the worst. I promise you that.[/quoI

I have never been to Boston. But I too have lived all over the world and I think many many people here are horrible drivers. They don't use traffic signals, they don't yield, they are colorblind so red light runners are at every intersection, watch out!
Aggressive drivers are one thing. But really bad drivers are in Memphis.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:17 PM

93 posts, read 359,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikBrooks View Post

In Memphis the drivers are not inconsiderate. They are simply inattentive.

I'll disagree on this one as on my way to work tonight I was tailgated, then the driver behind me passed in his Chrysler 300 with 24 inch rims on the wrong side of the road (in the curb area) to get around me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis