Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 04:19 AM

8 posts, read 28,243 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to the Memphis area. My husband and I have purchased a home in Olive Branch. I have verbally accepted a job through a contract company but will be working with the Memphis City Schools, specifically in south memphis within a 30 minute drive of Olive Branch. From what I have read here, I totally messed up when I took this job. I haven't signed anything yet. Should I back out? Are the schools and the area really that dangerous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 05:38 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,335,524 times
FWIW, I have heard that Olive Branch is one of the best places to live. I've only heard horror stories about the schools but do not have children attending.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:25 AM

247 posts, read 997,583 times
What school will you be teaching at? Not all Memphis City schools are terrible.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:30 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times
I cannot imagine that the schools in South Memphis would be very good. Of course, what you're referring to as 'South Memphis' and what I'm thinking of when I think 'South Memphis' may be two very different things.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:42 AM

Default Unsure

That's the "kicker". I don't find out what school it will be until the week before I start. By then I've signed the contract and I'm stuck. I'm not familiar enough with the area to know exactly where I'd be. My stipulation to them was that I can get back to my daughter in Olive Branch in 30 minutes or less, with traffic. So, I don't figure it would be too far into Memphis. I just don't know where that "not too far" would get me.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:57 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
South Memphis is overall one of the worst areas of town. Second maybe to North Memphis area schools. I know many people who have worked there and left after one year - it was much worse than they could have ever suspected. One of the problems is that even if the students are okay, the school is still located in dangerous areas, thus you have dangerous people wandering the streets, getting into the school, into the parking lot, you have to drive thru there, sometimes after dark...

I didn't realize you could tell MCS what areas of town you want to work in (then again, I'm sure they get few requests to work in SOuth Memphis so maybe they are loving your request). Memphis is really an easy place to drive in and traffic is fairly managable. Working in east Memphis, south Memphis, downtown, etc....it would all be fairly the same.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:54 AM

234 posts, read 1,062,597 times
The entire school system in Memphis has issues, and the schools you'll find in South Memphis will probably be the worst. I'm not telling you to back out-we need more dedicated teachers-but I probably wouldn't take the job. If you still have a choice, try to work in East Memphis or Downtown.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:16 AM

Default Thanks!

I was afraid this was going to be the response I got. I'm just really glad I haven't signed anything yet. I'm actually a speech pathologist instead of a teacher. I have an interview this Friday with a private practice in Southaven. I think I will refrain from signing anything until I go check that out. Thanks so much for all of your information! It has definitely been helpful!

Old 06-24-2008, 09:27 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
Private schools are always better, but they pay substantially less. We definitely need good teachers here, but if you come in already scared, it is only going to get worse for you. Much like any urban school district, you have to come in with a fighting attitude and be ready for a big challenge. If you don't want that, teaching in large metro public school districts probably isn't for you. Memphis is bad, but in reality, most school systems in large cities are dreadful too.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:20 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times
I can't even count the number of folks I've met who came in with a 'take no prisoners' attitude -- world changers -- who participated in programs like Teach for America, and who quickly exited the Memphis City School system. It's not just a matter of attitude. It's a matter of being able to take abuse -- from students, parents, coworkers, and school administration.

'Challenge' is a kind word when it comes to describing most of Memphis' schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: