Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 05:34 AM

88 posts, read 294,572 times

Advertisements

I've hung around about a month now. I've noticed several threads about the horrible drivers in Memphis.

I disagree.

I've lived all over the world. I grew up here, but while in the Army I lived all over the world and I drove in each of those places. I even drove in Rome, Italy where the traffic signals are a weak suggestion.

The worst drivers, bar none, and with no close second - is Boston, MA. In Memphis the drivers are not inconsiderate. They are simply inattentive. In Boston they are aggressive. In Boston driving is a sport and if you get there first you win.

I've seen people on the highway speed up to close an opening in traffic when I switch on a turn signal. That's why most Bostonites don't use their turn signals, they are warning other drivers of where they are going and giving them an unfair advantage.

I am not exagerrating. I refused to drive at all in Boston and that has never happened anywhere else.

Yeah, Memphis drivers can be pretty bad, but we ain't the worst. I promise you that.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:47 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,481,037 times
Just got back from LA. I have never been cut off so much in my life. Ever been to Miami? Talk about aggressive!! Never been to Boston but it sounds pretty stressful driving there.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:23 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,884,085 times
Yeah but every city forum is going to complain about there own traffic, saying it's "the worst in the world". Of course half of those answering have never been anywhere else but there own city - so disregard it. It's just the nature of an internet forum site to complain without support.

I did notice, in my frequent new england travels, it's like every car, EVERY CAR, even brand new, has some sort of dent, fender damage, bashed in side, knocked out headlight, scrape, etc. I would attribute that to the state of the crowded roads. Fortunetly Memphis has relatively light traffic compared to other urban areas in the U.S.
And in Europe and other nations, forget it, no comparison. Some of those countires, basically, have no driving rules. At least one's that are obeyed.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:39 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,052 times
My biggest problem with driving in Memphis was getting hit by someone who did not have insurance. After talking with friends and coworkers, I discovered that lack of insurance seems more the norm than the exception in Memphis.

I suspect that the number of uninsured drivers and high rate of auto theft are the primary reasons for auto insurance rates being so high in Memphis. When I moved from Midtown to Cordova, my insurance premium dropped by about 20 percent. When I left the Memphis area altogether, my premium dropped another 15 percent.

As far as actually driving in Memphis -- I don't think it's a difficult place to drive, and I don't think the drivers are particularly worse than drivers anywhere else. Memphis doesn't have anywhere near the congestion that many other cities--including some much smaller cities--have, so the level of driver frustration (and subsequent 'stupid driving') doesn't seem quite so prevalent.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:34 AM

89 posts, read 317,088 times
Every city has its nuances when it comes to drivers. Yes, the drivers here seem to be worse than other cities in this region, but compared to some of the aforementioned cities like Boston and Miami probably isnt any worse.

Three things stand out with drivers here.
1.) Yellow means only 3 more cars can come through the intersection.
2.) Turn signals are a thing of the past.
3.) Inattentiveness

But yeah for a city this size there is virtually no congestion. In fact its hard to believe Memphis is in the Top 20 largest cities (also because downtown memphis is so small, but im digressing)

Old 06-06-2008, 05:54 PM

88 posts, read 294,572 times
As I said, I gave up driving INSIDE Boston. They literally frightened me - and I'm not easily frightened. They drove like they had no fear of having accidents.

Memphis has some inattentive drivers but they are not deliberatly mean - I guess some are but in general they are nice. In Boston when the light turns green you had better be ready to step on the gas because they will be laying on the horn in less than two seconds (no exagerration. They may give you ONE full second). I've seen people not paying attention for almost an entire cycle of the light before the guy behind him did the tiniest little beep-beep.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:10 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikBrooks View Post
I've hung around about a month now. I've noticed several threads about the horrible drivers in Memphis.

I disagree.

I've lived all over the world. I grew up here, but while in the Army I lived all over the world and I drove in each of those places. I even drove in Rome, Italy where the traffic signals are a weak suggestion.

The worst drivers, bar none, and with no close second - is Boston, MA. In Memphis the drivers are not inconsiderate. They are simply inattentive. In Boston they are aggressive. In Boston driving is a sport and if you get there first you win.

I've seen people on the highway speed up to close an opening in traffic when I switch on a turn signal. That's why most Bostonites don't use their turn signals, they are warning other drivers of where they are going and giving them an unfair advantage.

I am not exagerrating. I refused to drive at all in Boston and that has never happened anywhere else.

Yeah, Memphis drivers can be pretty bad, but we ain't the worst. I promise you that.
I agree. Growing up here, listening to the palaver about Memphis drivers, I bought into the malaise. Then I left for St. Louis. Talk about a dose of reality. Memphians need some perspective on true poor driving. There are cities with much worse drivers than Memphis.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
My biggest problem with driving in Memphis was getting hit by someone who did not have insurance. After talking with friends and coworkers, I discovered that lack of insurance seems more the norm than the exception in Memphis.

I suspect that the number of uninsured drivers and high rate of auto theft are the primary reasons for auto insurance rates being so high in Memphis. When I moved from Midtown to Cordova, my insurance premium dropped by about 20 percent. When I left the Memphis area altogether, my premium dropped another 15 percent.

As far as actually driving in Memphis -- I don't think it's a difficult place to drive, and I don't think the drivers are particularly worse than drivers anywhere else. Memphis doesn't have anywhere near the congestion that many other cities--including some much smaller cities--have, so the level of driver frustration (and subsequent 'stupid driving') doesn't seem quite so prevalent.
I believe that there is no state requirement for insurance. So it's not a Memphis thing. Blame the legislature for no requirement for insurance. And I believe I remember that the insurance lobby lobbied against a requirement (I suspect b/c they knew they could charge higher premiums from the responsible drivers...).

Old 06-07-2008, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yeah but every city forum is going to complain about there own traffic, saying it's "the worst in the world". Of course half of those answering have never been anywhere else but there own city - so disregard it. It's just the nature of an internet forum site to complain without support.

I did notice, in my frequent new england travels, it's like every car, EVERY CAR, even brand new, has some sort of dent, fender damage, bashed in side, knocked out headlight, scrape, etc. I would attribute that to the state of the crowded roads. Fortunetly Memphis has relatively light traffic compared to other urban areas in the U.S.
And in Europe and other nations, forget it, no comparison. Some of those countires, basically, have no driving rules. At least one's that are obeyed.
Man, you raised something that I had forgotten about for ten years. Parallel parking in other cities. In cities like Chicago and StL, it's not unusual for parallel parkers to strike the other cars. That's something I've never seen in downtown Memphis...

Old 06-07-2008, 08:43 AM

774 posts, read 2,582,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
I believe that there is no state requirement for insurance. So it's not a Memphis thing. Blame the legislature for no requirement for insurance. And I believe I remember that the insurance lobby lobbied against a requirement (I suspect b/c they knew they could charge higher premiums from the responsible drivers...).

There is a state requirement for insurance. In fact, you are legally required to show proof of insurance before you can drive a car off the lot. There's a law on the books now also that if you are pulled over fora any reason, you must show your proof of insurance or you have to go to court. This doesn't mean it's actually enforced however.

Here's the link to state insurance requirement laws: III - What are the driving laws in my state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis