Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2008, 08:18 PM

6 posts, read 40,555 times

Advertisements

I just graduated with a B.A. from one of the colleges in Memphis and have been looking for an administrative assistant/receptionist/office assistant type job for several months. Monster, Career Builder, Hot Jobs, The Commercial Appeal, The Flyer, and Craigslist have all been pretty useless. Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 07:57 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,376,311 times
A BA would make you overqualified for a secretary job. Try shooting higher, for jobs that relate to your degree and aren't high school req type jobs. I wouldn't hire a BA level person to do an admin job, too overqualified, too likely the person will be miserable and quit after a month.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:38 AM

196 posts, read 692,569 times
You can always check out govjobs to watch for openings in federal jobs.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:20 PM

91 posts, read 303,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kates View Post
I just graduated with a B.A. from one of the colleges in Memphis and have been looking for an administrative assistant/receptionist/office assistant type job for several months. Monster, Career Builder, Hot Jobs, The Commercial Appeal, The Flyer, and Craigslist have all been pretty useless. Any other suggestions?
I've been here since February and finally landed a job. I have learned the hard way, it is definitely all in who you know. I went on over 50 interviews. I was either over-qualified or under-qualified. I specialize in the same profession as you. I was even told that I lived too far away, even though the drive was less than one hour. A lady on myspace got me a job. I received that tip from someone else who networked on myspace and found a job that way. A human resources manager told me he had 30 people responding to an Administrative Assistant position in one day. He told me by the end of the week 75 people expressed interest in that position. I went to every temp agency in the Midsouth as well as utilized every jobboard that existed. I emailed over 50 resumes a day to companies that posted positions. Later learned they already have people within the company for the position, but they are following company procedure by posting it.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:31 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,376,311 times
That is usually how it works in bigger companies' posting the position to the public is just a formality. Most companies try to hire within.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:36 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,481,179 times
Good for you Jada-glad it finally worked out for you...I remember a while back when you were at your wits end. Again, good for you and good luck. Looking for a job is a grind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis