U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2007, 12:00 PM

4 posts, read 19,271 times

Advertisements

My only son who has a disability will be going to Rhodes College and I need to relocate there to be nearby for support. I will probably rent for a year before I decide if I should actually buy a house while he's going to school. I am concerned about the crime (I'm a single mother) and where I should live to be accessible to my son at Rhodes. I could definitely drive in from a suburb if need be, but it should be easy to get to the college. I've read on these boards about crossing over into Mississippi or Arkansas to get more for your money, would you recommend that when I get ready to buy? I will be looking for a job as well, so commute has to be reasonable. Should I rent a small apartment near the college while I look for something more permanent? Where? When I do buy, I'm more interested in an older, more established, leafy neighborhood around $350,000 or less for a nice house. Can anyone out there help? Or even tell me what to avoid? Much appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 01:26 PM

Thank you. Chickasaw and Poplar/Perkins---are there good apt. or townhouses there or single family homes? How much do they run to rent? When you say "older", do you mean more established neighborhoods? I would like to stay as close to the college as I can without being at risk for crime, if that's even possible. Memphis is a hard city to figure out, and it's great to have this feedback.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:47 PM

13,149 posts, read 37,688,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millvalleymom View Post
Thank you. Chickasaw and Poplar/Perkins---are there good apt. or townhouses there or single family homes? How much do they run to rent? When you say "older", do you mean more established neighborhoods? I would like to stay as close to the college as I can without being at risk for crime, if that's even possible. Memphis is a hard city to figure out, and it's great to have this feedback.
I LOVE Chickasaw Gardens! It's a very established, very leafy neighborhood that's probably only 10-15 minutes from Rhodes.

There is also a beautiful neighborhood right around the corner from Rhodes called Evergreen. It borders Overton Park, which is the Memphis version of Central Park. I can't tell you how many people I've driven through Evergreen who changed their impression about Memphis. On a nice day you could walk from Evergreen to Rhodes. And you could definitely find a cool bungalow for less than $350k. Just be sure it's got a really good security system and a place to secure your car at night--that's good advice for anywhere you live in Memphis, even Arkansas or Germantown.

You can rent townhouses and apartments on Harbor Island starting at around $700. That would put you to Rhodes in less than 10 minutes via North Parkway. There are also a couple of condo towers next to Rhodes where you could rent a small condo for less.

And actually, when it comes to buying something for less than $350k, you might even be able to find something on Harbor Island in Harbor Town. It's new homes built to look old, similar to Celebration, Florida. If you do a Google search for Harbor Town in Memphis you'll see what I mean.

Have you talked to anyone at Rhodes about housing? Many of the faculty at Rhodes live in the neighborhood around the college, and I'm sure many of them would be happy to steer you in the right direction.

I happen to be a fan of urban living, even with the higher crime, and I would much rather live in a restored, in-town 1920s bungalow than a 2006 McMansion in the suburbs.

Good luck!

Old 01-16-2007, 07:33 PM

That's a lot of great information, thanks! Yes, I plan to talk to the college to give me guidance, perhaps rent an in-law from a professor for awhile. I will definitely check out Evergreen, it sounds wonderful. I'm with you, I hate the McMansions and I much prefer character and charm, with mature landscape. I hate the cookie cutters. Can I really walk to Rhodes from the Evergreen neighborhood? That would be fantastic. I also have a golden retriever who would need to be walked, hence Overton Park would be ideal. How much do you think in-laws rent for, if any are even available? Hate the thought of being so vulnerable by not knowing the limits on rent pricing and such. Need to do some more homework. Is there a local newspaper or flyer that would be good to look at? And if I need to stay in a hotel for a week or so, near the college, which is the safest and most affordable? Thank you so much!
Amy

Old 01-16-2007, 07:45 PM

25 posts, read 198,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millvalleymom View Post
Memphis is a hard city to figure out, and it's great to have this feedback.
Memphis is a hard city to figure out. One minute you are in a beautiful neighborhood then just a street or two over and you are in danger. Not to mention, they have a lot of streets with the same name which makes it even more confusing. My advice is to rent in a safe area such as Germantown so you can take your time and learn the neighborhoods better.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:14 PM

5 posts, read 17,443 times
Decent advice for buying/renting close to Rhodes or in Midtown: stay West of East Parkway, North of Central, South of North Parkway, and East of Cleveland.The outlying parts aren't necessarily crime-ridden (though some are) but many have not been cleaned up or manicured the way a lot of midtown has been.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:52 PM

3,371 posts, read 12,840,061 times
$350,000 can get you a great home here in Memphis. That's a lot of money for this area.

As mentioned, "the island" of Harbortown has homes in the $100's actually. So you could get something great there. It's a NEW area, new homes, but nice and wealthy and safe. Not the typical cookie cutter area you might think. And, there is a big park on the island (great to walk your dog), some restaurants, and a great medical office (don't know what your's son disability is, but that might come in useful). ALso a good gym.

Midtown is wonderful. Tons of old historic homes. Lots to do. The main historic areas are Central Gardens and Evergreen. Evergreen being closer to Rhodes, but both within a 10 minute drive. The area around Rhodes is not the best....very good to the south, but not good to the north. Rhodes is on North Parkway, and that's really as 'north' as you'd want to go around there. Rhodes is next to Overton Park, as mentioned above, and the zoo. Both great family oriented areas.

***If you want....the major realty company here is Crye Leike. They have the best housing website I have found. www.crye-leike.com Go to property search, and search for homes in the 38104 and 38112 zip codes. Those are midtown. 38104 will be Central Gardens, 38112 includes Evergreen. You will find that in your $350k price range, there will be GREAT options. I only WISH I had the money to buy like that in Central Gardens. !!

Old 02-24-2007, 01:03 AM

79 posts, read 410,496 times
If you want to live in the Rhodes College area, I would strongly recommend the Evergreen neighborhood. It is beautiful and relatively safe. It is south of North Parkway between Cleveland and Overton Park.

The neighborhood around Rhodes is called the Vollintine-Evergreen Community. It is north of North Parkway. It is pretty nice as well, but not as nice as Evergreen. There are plenty of old Craftsman Bungalows in that area that are very attractive and very reasonable in price.

Both areas have very strong neighborhood associations and are very stable.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:55 PM

6 posts, read 37,869 times
Default Rhodes College

I am a graduate of Rhodes College. There are several really nice neighborhoods near Rhodes. The neighborhoods range in prices as well. Hein Park is a well established neighborhood with homes with the sqft starting around $100. TIt has beautiful mature trees and feels secluded. There is also Evergreen which is gorgeous with a wider range of prices. It has several amenities including the Memphis Zoo and Overton Park. There is also Vollentine Evergreen which is priced lower than the previous neighborhoods mentioned.

There is easy access to Rhodes College if you take Sam Cooper which is accessible to Cordova with a wide range of neighborhoods from $50,000 to a $1,000,000. East Memphis is only a few minutes away and it has many options. I think you have a wide range of options depending on what you are looking for as far as architectural styles. I am a licensed realtor and can provide additional information if you need help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis