Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2007, 02:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,652 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone could help me? We are relocating to the Memphis area from Connecticut. My husband is currently working in Memphis while I finish up with the sale of our home up here with our girls. Elementary schools are important (my oldest will start kindergarden this year) and traffic is important to my husband. We were told to look at Collierville & Germantown (good neighborhoods & schools) but my husband is hearing that the traffic is horrible. That the mapquest 30-35 is more like 50-1 hour from Collierville? Someone told him to look into Olive Branch, that the commute is better. Is this true? If so, Is there a huge difference in the school system between Olive Branch and Collierville? My husband was told that the income tax is offset by the property tax & commute for Olive Branch. It appears you get a little more house for your money as well. Any help I would greatly appreciate. I am moving down to be with my husband and start our home search in 3 weeks. I just don't know what area to focus on and I've never been to TN or MS. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 08:42 AM

14,988 posts, read 23,795,156 times
Laura you may want to post your question in the Memphis forum in the TN area, and just as a matter of protocal so you don't hijack another persons post. Anyways you don't say where in Memphis he will be working so I can't answer the commute question (downtown? Midtown? north?). Income tax in MS is somewhat offset by property tax in TN, particularly in Memphis proper where property tax is high. All depends on your income level and house cost. Housing cost between TN and MS is about the same, except in Germantown where housing is somewhat expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis